Olight SR90 vs 95S

Mike9028

Enlightened
Hello,

As you can see I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hello to everyone. I joined to increase my knowledge about these LED lights and to to hopefully contribute by sharing some of my knowledge to you as well. I feel like I am always trying to light something up. If you've seen my house you'd understand lol.

Now I have done my research to some extent on these two lights but without actually seeing them in person it's hard to make my decision. I was hoping those who own these lights or both could help me out with your insight about them. I've read endless 5 star reviews on Amazon about the SR90 about how incredible this light is but hard to find reviews for the 95S. Both seem to throw about the same distance (1000m) and I know the SR95s is the newest light from Olight but with less lumens, though I know lumens isn't the end all like people think. Anyways, any info is much appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Mike

PS: The new Fenix RC40 looks like it will be a beast and looking forward to seeing and hearing more about that light.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great to have you on board Mike!

The SR90 isn't produced any more and was replaced by the SR95 which is lighter, has a smaller head, a higher lumen output and larger battery capacity than the original SR90. The differences between the SR95 and SR95S/UT is the LED used and resulting difference in output and throw. The SR95 uses the SST-90 for about 2000 lumens and 100K+ throw lux. The SR95SUT uses the SBT-70 LED for about 1250L and 250K throw lux. The UT is probably the more specialized of the two while the regular SR95 is probably the most "mission" flexible. It will perform a number of large lighting tasks relatively well. Nice to have the option!

Last edited:

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Hello Mike! Welcome! :) I'd recommend reading selfbuilt's review of the SR95 S UT over in the review section here. It helped persuade me to buy one. Basically it will depend on whether or not you want more of a "flood light" with the SR95 or the "spot light" of the SR95 S UT. The SR95 has more overall lumens but is essentially not as focused to project the beam as far as the SR95 S UT.

Mike9028

Enlightened
Hi Patriot,

I've watched a number of your videos on you tube and appreciate all you do. I know it's very time consuming but your videos and knowledge about these lights def make it easier to help people like me in deciding which light to buy. I just found the DEFT-X light on here and I'm sold!!! I noticed you said in one of your vids you were from AZ. I live in the east valley. Is there a place in AZ that sells Olight? The vids are nice but it would be nice to see these lights in person.

Hi KarstGhost,

Thanks for the info as well. I just checked out that review by selfbuilt. Great review!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
BOTH of those lights excel at long ranges. They are not general purpose lights, say to see what you're doing in your tent at night, etc....they are search lights with concentrated beams.

If you are new at this, and are considering either light, (as mentioned, the SR90 is only available used now a days), it either means you do search and rescue work, or need it to find distant shore lines from your boat, shoot coyotes a long way off, and so forth...or, didn't realize how tightly focused these beams were so they COULD reach long distances, and how hard they'd be to use for closer tasks, etc.

Consider what you'd be using the light for. How far away did you want the beam to reach, how wide an area did you want to light up at a time, etc.

So, what's the light going to do for you?

:D

Patriot

Flashaholic
Hi Patriot,
I noticed you said in one of your vids you were from AZ. I live in the east valley. Is there a place in AZ that sells Olight? The vids are nice but it would be nice to see these lights in person.

Hey Mike, thanks! We still don't have a good brick and mortar flashlight store here in AZ, at least to my knowledge. There are a few stores that sell one or two brands like surefire and fenix or streamlight and 5.11 but that's about it. It seems that Nitecore, Foursevens, EagleTac, Zebralight, Olight and some other popular brands are still only available on line. I often rely on the feedback of other members to figure out if a light is worth owning.