Tape switch questions

Ross

Enlightened
Hi folks,
I have a question about tape switches. Now, I know they are designed for weapons mounting but I quite fancy one for normal use (attached to my body armour...). The questions are - does a tape switch activate the flashlight only momentarilly (sp)? Or does it act as a clickie switch? can you buy different ones? are they reliable?

Any feedback on them would be appreciated.

Ross

zorba

Enlightened
I am pretty positive that they are momentary on. I dont think that there are any that activate the light like a clickie does and for about 40 or 50 USD for a surefire one, they are pretty reliable.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think you would only have to replace them when the rubber cover gets worn away. i did explore the possibility of mounting a surefire on my bicycle as a headlight with a momentary tape switch stuck to the handlebar, but i felt the tape switch was too expensive for what it did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Ross,

If you have a HA standard body (such as the Cx or Millennium Series (not M6) ) then the UUxx TailCap is for you - xx is the length of the cable in inches.

If you want more options then the "Classic WeaponLight" is the way to go!
I assume that you want to screw this TailCap onto a 6P (etc)
Best to order one of the "U" options and set aside the A21 Universals Housing body part you won't need.
Standard tape switch is 2.25" long. 5" long tape switch can be ordered by putting an "L" on the end.

Lets break it down.

Momentary-On ONLY:
Uxx = Momentary-On Tape Switch at the end of a cable xx inches length
Uxxyy = Two Momentary-On Tape Switches at the ends of cables xx and yy inches length

Constant-On ONLY:
U00T = TailCap on/off Flag Switch
UxxB = Rocker Switch (on/off) at the end of cable xx length

Constant-On and Momentary-On:
UxxT = TailCap on/off Flag Switch and Momentary-On Tape Switch at the end of a cable xx inches length
UxxyyB = Momentary-On Tape Switch at the end of a cable xx inches length and Rocker Switch (on/off) at the end of cable yy length

Momentary-On with Disable Switches:
UxxS = TailCap Disable Flag Switch and Momentary-On Tape Switch at the end of a cable xx inches length
UxxyyD = Momentary-On Tape Switch at the end of a cable xx inches length and Rocker Switch (Disable) at the end of cable yy length

If you want to see photos of these then check out the 2002 WeaponLight Catalog, the 2003 Combat Tactics Magazine (page 89) and the 2004 Combat Tactics Magazine (page 60)

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
The "rocker" switch has two cables connecting to it from the TailCap. I don't know whether it is possible to have two rocker switches from one TailCap, or a rocker switch and a Flag Switch from one TailCap.
Perhaps there is an option for a "UxxBS" (disable flag and constant-on rocker)
Or perhaps a UxxyyBD (constant-on rocker and disable rocker)
A call to SureFire Tech Support could hold the answers.

Reading the Combat Tactics 2004 (page 56) there will be a new XMxx Millennium Universal WeaponLight TailCap that will feature a tape pressure switch (xx inch cable) and a momentary/click switch on the TailCap itself. The Tape switch cable can be unpluged!!

Al