Any way to convert P60 reflector to TIR?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wondering if there is a way to swap the P60 reflector for a TIR optic. I like wider spot and narrower spill of the TIR, which makes the beam more usable for me.

Is there a screw-on kit out there that will accomplish this? The ones that I've seen require gluing the optic holder and inserting the TIR optic, but I'd like to retain the ability to swap the optic with reflector, just in case. A clear optic with narrow beam angle will suffice, as I'll be using it for XM-L2.

islisis

Newly Enlightened
If you search you will read many people have inserted them without gluing, just allowing compression from springs to secure TIR lenses in the head of P60, but I suspect the answer depends on the heat sinking of your drop in. Just a couple of minutes was enough to melt one of the stabilisers on my non-foil wrapped XT-E drop in slightly. Also, I wonder about the stability of different TIR holders, the ~8 degree ones commonly found lack any surrounding support structure, but I think it's possible to pop out the optic and put it into the holders with legs or cylindrical base - anyone investigated this?

Also, I'm curious about which TIR you found to provide better throw, as I didn't find much difference between DX's TIRs and Manafont's SMO reflectors.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also wonder what You consider as "TIR"?
Because anything that fits into any P60 host is simply an optic;
TIR (the ones I know, like from Inova) are dramatically longer and there is no way that could fit into that host
(or if one fits them into, then the battery cell will no more ...)

Dont You "just" think of an optic?
more than the typical 8 degree main beam from the typical optic / typical reflector?

They are roughly the same size, so it is just "putting the reflector away and getting the optic there instead"
or look at the optic using malkoff inserts

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to write about Xeroxing and Jet Skis, as well as whether or not we blow our noses in Kleenex,
but it does appear that "TIR" has a life outside Inova.

Here is an abstract for a patent, and Carclo makes them, too.

mbw_151

Enlightened
OverReady still has some earlier XR-E based Malkoff modules with a TIR optic. I don't know if other custom builders like Nailbender can supply drop-ins with optics. You might inquire.