Total flashlight cost, loss after selling

markr6

Flashaholic
It's a little slow at work so I decided to open Excel and run a list of my lights with purchase price, sold price and loss from selling. Why did I do this?!?! :shakehead It's pretty scary to see how much I spent in a short time, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to some here!

Gross total: $897
Total loss after selling: -$68
Lights sold: 8
Net total: $597

Almost $600 on flashlights?? NO WAY! But some people can drop that on one so I feel better already. What really surprised me was how well I did on selling them. In total, I sold 8 lights and only lost $68 so that's not bad! Thank you CPFMP and other online forums!

JCD

Enlightened
Your numbers don't add up. $897 - $68 ≠ $597.

markr6

Flashaholic
That's NET total after selling lights; so $597 is what I spent on lights I CURRENTLY own

JCD

Enlightened
I see. So there is information (understandably) left out of the post. That makes sense. :)

Last edited:

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
So, you sold 8 lights that you spent $300 on for $232?
What's that, a 23% hit? Not too bad on a handful of Fenix's.
That's what I paid for my first EDC light, which I have since retired to a range bag.
Definitely worth it to find out what works for you.
Nice deal for whomever picked 'em up, too.

markr6

Flashaholic
So, you sold 8 lights that you spent $300 on for $232?
What's that, a 23% hit? Not too bad on a handful of Fenix's.
That's what I paid for my first EDC light, which I have since retired to a range bag.
Definitely worth it to find out what works for you.
Nice deal for whomever picked 'em up, too.

Yeah, left out the specifics on what sold for how much. Mostly Fenix models and a Zebralight H502. They went fast since they were like-new condition. They basically sat on a shelf until I realized how much I liked neutral tints, so they didn't see much use.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Why did I do this?!?!"

Now that's a darn good question! :thinking: (Kinda takes the fun out of hobby when you start considering costs!) :broke: :sick: :barf:

Try not to let it happen again. :twak: :crackup:

Rexlion

Enlightened
I've spent $350 just since the first of the year. Wonderful, lovely flashlights.... preciousss. :D

Kick

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget the batteries and chargers. I don't want to think about how much I have spent since the first of the year. :banghead:

Just doing my part to improve the global economy .:thumbsup:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights are tools. I don't consider any loss if I've used it to my expectations. I gift old lights to non-flashaholics, and the appreciation I get from the recipients more than makes up for any monetary loss.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Almost all the flashlights I've sold (mostly SureFires) have been at a net gain. Malkoff modules too.
Current market values of nearly all of my SF's are higher than what I paid for them. Buying gently used lights is key.

But then I mostly buy & sell semi-collectible SF's (some of which have been Z's) - or the SF's I've purchased have been discontinued after I acquired them and have increased in value (C3's and L1's in particular).

Edit: Some 'hits' though: Flashlight accessories, upgrades, consumables. I try not to track those as closely ... ;)

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don´t consider it a loss but rather what you paied for to have some fun with it for a certain amount of time.

Eric

MatthewSB

Enlightened
Almost all the flashlights I've sold (mostly SureFires) have been at a net gain.

Same here. I only buy lights (or knives) if one of two things is true:

1. I am going to use them long enough to get my money's worth (EDC light I will use for a couple years, like my E1B)
2. I can sell them for as much as I paid, or more, if I decide to.

Option 2 is like having cash in the closet, but in the form of a useful tool, as I can sell it at any given time and get my money back.

Buying Surefire lights is like buying a luxury car with low depreciation - cheaper in the end to own than a cheap, economy car and nicer and more enjoyable the entire time.

Don´t consider it a loss but rather what you paied for to have some fun with it for a certain amount of time.

This is what I tell myself everytime I sell something at a loss :eek:

Lights, knives, or any collectable is better considered a hobby as an investment, otherwise it's guarenteed to disappoint...

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use all my lights, and most end up quite badly beaten by the time I want to move on from them.

I've never sold for a profit, and never expect to, either.

Latest posts