Introducing the nanoBurner 5.0

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
Since much of my knowledge related to Luxeon lighting has come from the CPF, I felt that I should share my creation with the CPF Members. I have created this light due to the fact that nothing like it currently exists on the market. I was tired of the old yellow Halogen and the overly Blue HID Bike lights which dominate the market. This light has many more side benefits than color and durability – listed below.

Introducing the nanoBurner 5.0 - Luxeon based mountain bike light – featuring the uFlex regulator.

Front on.jpg

I built this almost entirely by hand. The rough machining for the head was done on a friend's mill, but otherwise, the fit and finish was accomplished with a lot of patience, a Dremmel tool, a 4/40 tap, and a buffing wheel.

Before I give the specs and complete pictures, I would like to give a bit of background on the design criteria and specific application for this light – for those of you who are not familiar with the fine points of night mountain biking. This light is intended for use on extended rides at night on rough mountain single-track trails. My typical trip entails a 10-15 mile ride, which requires 2-3 hours of light. 2 distinct speeds are attained during this trip Slow (1-5 MPH – Uphill) and (3-25 MPH downhill). Due to the fact that this activity requires a lot of physical exertion, a mountain biker is always on a quest to reduce the weight of his bike and accompanying gear. This is also an inherently dangerous activity, which requires a certain level of illumination - the minimum accepted level is the market standard 10 Watt halogen light. The main point related to the nanoBurner is that it is drawing approximately ½ of the power and illuminates the trail better that the Halogen – by way of the White color providing greater obstacle definition and the fact that the 5 Watt luxeon does have the same lumen output as your typical 10 Watt halogen (~120). Through the miracle of Georges's uflex regulator, lower power levels can be selected when climbing (Less light required, Slower Speeds/ less airflow/ more heat at any given power setting/ maximizes light efficiency). Management of the battery with the uflex can extend run time on a typical ride by at least 3X (6 hours on a 2200mah battery).

SPECS ----

Head Unit:
- Milled Aluminum Head unit with hinged aluminum clamp (heat Transfer though handlebar).
- V Binned 5W Luxeon Star.
- NX05 Optics (soon to be switched to Fraen LP)
- Gasket Sealed for weather resistance.

Power Source:
- 8.4 Volt NiMH battery pack (2200 mAH)
- Connectors – Deans RC
- 7 - 2200 mAH batteries assembled with Solder wick.
- Mounts to Bike Stem.
Charging:
- MRP Micropeak Super Brain 959 – Delta V Charger. – Battery pack can be recharged in about 30 minutes.

Regulator:
- 5W Uflex regulator driving LED at close to 1000mA.
- In Line (can be detached to recharge battery).
- Remote – momentary on switch for selecting brightness levels on the fly.

A Few Pictures:

Nanoreg layout.jpg

nano close.jpg

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice!

That is the best Luxeon bike headlight I've seen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

A lot of racers are going to want one of those. Small (tiny), light weight, durable and cheap to operate. Who could ask for more?

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Management of the battery with the uflex can extend run time on a typical ride by at least 3X (6 hours on a 2200mah battery).

[/ QUOTE ]

This must have been attained at reduced brightness level, as 2200mAh battery pack will never supply the full 1000mA driving current for 6 hours.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I can't see your pictures. If I copy the link into another window, it says you have gone over your daily usage limit. Just FYI.

It sounds good though. One question, have you though about maybe using a reflector? I don't know how tight you want it, but some reflectors (the Mcflood comes to mind) may be a better choice than an optic. Since I can't see the pics, I don't know how big the light is, but the Fraen LP is a very good choice for a 1 or 3w HD, but I haven't seen what it does for a 5w. Sorry, I'm rambling...
Hope to see the pics soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

PS - Shouldn't this say nanoBurner?
[ QUOTE ]
nanoBurner said:
Introducing the nanoNurner 5.0 - Luxeon based mountain bike light – featuring the uFlex regulator.

[/ QUOTE ]

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
Pictures are back up.

The 6 hour run time is based on only needing to use full power for about 20% of the time.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey nanoburner - neat application of my driver, not quite the task/reading light application I had intended the uFlex to satisfy. Though, I guess you could always pull over, prop your bike up and read a book from the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

be safe,
george.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was trying to build a bike light. Looking to pair up some plastic reflectors cone from bottled drinks and 10w halogen. Your LED light makes me think for quite a while!

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
Thanks George for creating the perfect addition to this project and making it available through CPF.

I have now have the PCB encased in Heat-Shrink tubing to make it weather proof.

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
HunterSon,

If you are interested in which bike the light is attached to, it is a GT Ruckus I-Drive 2.0. The seatpost is a Hurrycat G-control (adjustable position) - not a "squishy" seatpost.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey GT uses tioga for their headsets and stuff ok.. It's not that squishy for a downhiller :p. I used it for 5 years!! with regular maintainance no excessive play until I swap it with FSA! for looks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif sorry bit OT.

HunterSon

Enlightened
I had a Brodie Holeshot. Marzocchi Z1 fork, Titech components, Hayes hydraulic disks, Easton RAD frame, Sun downhill rims and Maxis High Roller tires. Awesome downhill hardtail. That is until I ruptured my MCL and ripped off my ACL and blew the cartilage out of my knee on a wheelie drop. Three knee surgeries later and I am almost healthy again. The GT is pretty awesome too. When I said squishy I thought you had a suspension seatpost to keep those nerve endings healthy.

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
Hunterson,

I'll bet it cost more to repair a bike like that, than your three knee surguries combined /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Good luck on your full recovery.

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Are you going to be making these?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wife, Kids, Work - never enought time.

HunterSon

Enlightened
The bike was (sold) near indestructable! I once forgot to strap it down in my bike rack after a ride (yes you can call me stupid, I certainly felt that way) and it decided to come off on the highway at 105 kph (~60 mph). It cart wheeled behind my car for quite a ways before ending up on the side of the road.

I thought it was toast but the only thing wrong was a slightly bent handle bar, the rear wheel was out of true and a scuff on the brake lever. The wheel was easy enough to fix but I had to buy a new handle bar because it was too tough to straighten (Titech Hellbent bars kick!).

It looks like your light would survive my follies undamaged!
Beautiful idea, I could probably sell a few of them around here.

LEDSmith

Newly Enlightened
LEDmodMan,

Thank you for the suggestion of using the McFlood reflector in my Mountain Bike light. It has proven to be far superior in overal output than the NX05 or Fraen LP optics when used with a 5W LS. Now I understand that the smaller culimating optics simply cannot handle the level of intensity generated by the 5 Watt LS.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very impressive - almost makes me want to take up mountain biking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jon

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can i get the Uflex converter???

i would be intrested in seeing a hand-held or tripod-mounted version of this.

neg