Klarus XT11 repair help

puppypappa

Newly Enlightened
I have an XT11 that the mode switch stopped working. The on off switch still works great but I can't get any modes to work. I've read another post that it may be a solder joint in the tail cap. Can anyone help tell me how to access that circuit board? It looks like the spring plate on the inside might unscrew with maybe a set of snap ring pliers but I don't want to cause any more damage.
Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed

Pup

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an XT11 that the mode switch stopped working. The on off switch still works great but I can't get any modes to work. I've read another post that it may be a solder joint in the tail cap. Can anyone help tell me how to access that circuit board? It looks like the spring plate on the inside might unscrew with maybe a set of snap ring pliers but I don't want to cause any more damage.
Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed

Pup

Needle nose pliers (or a pair of scissors), unscrew the aluminum screw down ring inside the tailcap. Slide the entire switch module out.

RomeoKilo

Newly Enlightened
The exact same thing just happened to my XT11 just after I saw this thread. You jinxed me haha!!

I use mine in a surefire v70 holster- which means the tail cap looks like ive taken a grinder to it. Dont like my chances for a warranty claim. Ill open her up this week.

Im using my Surefire G2 with a cheap solarforce xml u2 drop in for now.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, try screwing DOWN the retainer ring inside the cap first. Maybe it's loose and it's not the switch afterall?

puppypappa

Newly Enlightened
Update!!
My Klarus is fixed. I took the tail switch apart and noticed one of the two solders on the mode button was broken. Soldered it back and it is back to working order. I was without it at work for a couple of shifts and I quickly realized why this is my go-to light.

Thanks for all the help

Pup

N2DFire

Newly Enlightened
Long time lurker but I just wanted to add a BIG Thank You!! to everyone who contributed to this thread. I had the same issue on Sunday with my 2 yr old XT11 (First Gen) and with a little help from this thread found a broken solder joint on the mode switch itself. After some quick grinder work to get a sharp tip on the soldering pen, I tacked the lead back on and all is great.

I'm a Volunteer & Paid Part Time Firefighter/Paramedic & Instructor and this is my EDC light and I was not thrilled about the prospect of working without it tonight.

As always these forums and you folks rock!

Thanks Again & Stay Safe
Stephen

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone elses xt11 make an annoying whining sound?!

I dont have an XT11 ( yet ) but i have lights with sound, but only herd when around my head. if thats it dont worry. anything louder is a concern, especially if its just started acting up ?

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad you guys got your XT11 fixed. I wouldn't be happy without mine either. The things been a workhorse for me. I have dropped it onto concrete from above ceiling level a few times and never had a problem. I was worried last week when I was on a boom lift about 30+ feet in the air. I heard it clank off the railing and hit the concrete below and really didn't want to look down at it. When I did though, the only thing that happened was that it turned on and was working just fine. The thing is a beast! The battery that was in there at the time had its button top actually recessed in now from the impact, but still works just fine in the XT11. Gotta love it!

Last edited:

TheeBadOne

Newly Enlightened
My selector switch also stopped working (reliably). I emailed Klaurus customer support and asked if they sell a new tailcap.
Klaurus replied quickly and said they could mail me a new switch, or I could send it in for them to install (free either way, except for shipping).
I'm having the switch sent to me.
Appreciate details in how to disassemble the switch.

kj2

Flashaholic
My selector switch also stopped working (reliably). I emailed Klaurus customer support and asked if they sell a new tailcap.
Klaurus replied quickly and said they could mail me a new switch, or I could send it in for them to install (free either way, except for shipping).
I'm having the switch sent to me.
Appreciate details in how to disassemble the switch.
Unscrew the retainer-ring inside the tailcap. All the stuff inside could come-out easily. Put in the new switch, put everything in the right order back, and there you go :)

TheeBadOne

Newly Enlightened
Unscrew the retainer-ring inside the tailcap. All the stuff inside could come-out easily. Put in the new switch, put everything in the right order back, and there you go :)
As I look inside the tailcap assembly, I see a silver ring with 2 holes (12'oclock/6/oclock). I take it that's what I put either scissors or needle nose in and spin?