Smaller, cheaper Segway available

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Newest Segway

"At 70 pounds the p Series [SRP $3,995] is the lightest and most portable model in the line. Since its footprint is just 22 inches wide, it is narrower than most people's shoulders making it ideal for riding in dense pedestrian environments and tight spaces. Its compact, simple design allows the rider to move from the sidewalk, to the elevator, right to the office where it can be charged from any outlet before the evening commute."

At a glance, it appears very similar to the original Segway.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess us pedestrians are becoming and endangered species. We already share the sidewalks and crosswalks (note the word "walk" not "ride") with bicycles, skateboards, inline skates, now Segways.

I do not include wheelchairs or those little electric scooters because people need those to get around. The other stuff however, should not be on sidewalks or in high pedestrian areas (IMHO).

No slam on you PhotonBoy, I know your just the messenger .... just my opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaron,

You would think so wouldn't you. I worked at the University of Washington for about 10 years and they werew all over the place. Same with downtown Seattle, the biker couriers would jump on and off the sidewalks to make deliveries. In fact, I would not move for one of those guys and ran him into a parking meter.

Mike

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike,

In Denver (where I grew up), riding on the sidewalk was a no-no and bicyclist were supposed to ride against the traffic. In Seattle (proper, don't do this in the 'burbs), riding on the sidewalk is legal (must yield to the peds) and riding opposed to the traffic is illegal. Go figure.

Dan

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
"Cheaper" still doesn't mean cheap. I doubt many people will spend thousands of dollars on a Segway, even if it is "cheaper". Just look outside: how many of them do you see on the sidewalks?

However, even if money wasn't a problem, I wouldn't buy one. Walking is fine for me.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
First they should get the bugs out. When the battery falls below a certain level the Sedgway can suddenly lose its gyroscopic stabilization resulting in rider injury.

Where/how do you park it and keep it from getting stolen, trashed or cannibalized?

Brightnorm