Maxtorch        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zebralight SC52 and EagleTac 14500 Battery

Unhappy Zebralight SC52 and EagleTac 14500 Battery

Good morning.
    I just purchased the Zebralight SC52. Tested it with a AA Eneloop an everything was perfect.
    Then I wanted to test the performance of the light with a 14500. I put in a EagleTac 14500 - and it got stuck. Now i cannot move the battery by any milimeter and the light doesn't work anymore either. I tried putting the light in the freezer and then quickly heated it up - no success.
    How did I go wrong? Having both a Eneloop AA and a EagleTac 14500 in my hand they seem to be the same width. The 14500 only is a little longer.
    Maybe someone has an idea what i could do?

Default Re: Zebralight SC52 and EagleTac 14500 Battery

how about a strong magnet?
    if all fails, you could slice the top part of the cell wrapper and pull the cell out with a pair of pliers.

Banned

Magnet would have to be those neodymium ones or stronger, can you at all hit it on a hard surface to see if it slides out enough for you to grab it/the wrapper?

Default Zebralight SC52 and EagleTac 14500 Battery

Saber1A.

This is mine. No chance for my battery to be taken out. Lucky for me I got a casing for $5.

For you, why don't you write to zebralight or your dealer and ask them for solution. Don't damage the casing.
    lights: saber1a, v11r, sc52, sc600ii, ea4, tn31, archer1a.

Seems like its really stuck. I would try superglue. Use the gel and not the liquid. Put a dab on the stuck battery and then stick the negative side of a AAA battery to it. Let it dry.. Once it's dry you can just try pulling, or stick it in the freezer and get it cold before trying.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thank you for your advice. So I am going to look for a strong magnet before I try anything else. If this is successful maybe the battery will turn out to be faulty (wider than it should be?).

Putting in freezer is not cool. The components can get condensation, moist and damage them.

You can try asking in hardware shop for stronger glue like metal to metal type.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...=6081606&rt=c3
    example 3M Two Part Epoxy

Perhaps the sticker got unfolded and glues the battery to the tube.
    I'd try the freezer trick again... Wrap it in paper towel, maybe put that in a ziplock bag with some rice (to avoid condensation) in the freezer for about an hour. Then gently warm up the SC52 (with your hand). That way the battery will remain colder than the light and it will probably just slide out, or will respond better to pulling.

I've had this with my sc60....I have to pound the light hand to hand, so to speak. tactical grip, and hit the heel of my hand with the light on my other hand.. mine will move a mm at a time....I just have to choose the right cell for that light... and all my cells are KP 3100's

I have to pound the light hand to hand, so to speak. tactical grip, and hit the heel of my hand with the light on my other hand.. mine will move a mm at a time....

I use the same Eagletac battery in mine with no problems. Yes it is a little snug, but using the method above gets it back out.
    Good Luck!!

Flashaholic*

I agree with justanotherguy, keep pounding it against your hand or something firm that won't scuff it. See if it will move bit by bit. Maybe try some penetraiting oil on the battery. Any one have concers with a penetraiting lube?

btw, I use the AW 750mah, without issue. It fits nicely, if I press one side against the tube, I get .75 to 1mm gap on the otherside.
    Why does my wallet cry when I browse this site?

Enlightened

Shopvac?

Maybe a throwing motion, like you are going to fling the light as hard as you can, like a baseball (but hang on, of course). The inertia might make the cell fly out.

I had a similar problem, I got 3 Eagletac batteries with my SC52 and found that they all fit differently. 1 slides in and out no prob, 1 is a bit snug but will come back out, and the 3rd got stuck like yours. It feels like there is a ground strap or something, going up the side of the batt under the wrapper, that is causing the problem. I smacked the part of the light where the clip attaches, against an old wooden table and got it out.
    Seems to be a consistency/QC prob with the batteries, they even have 2 different size pos contacts.
    BTW, love the light, Good luck with yours!

Just a thought but you may be able to spin it out with some centrigugal force? Zip tie the body to a wheel and give it a spin so to speak. I would cover the end loosley with gorilla tape, to keep the battery from flying out into space but come out enough to grab it with pliars.

Spinning the battery out was the solution. I glued an old alkaline battery on the top of the stuck 14500 and then carefully spinned it out.

But even though I love the light I keep having a hard time with it. All of my 3 new EagleTac 14500s do not work in the light. It just doesn't turn on. Only with Eneloops and Alkalines. Also the 14500s keep getting stuck. But I have developed a more efficient technique to get them out: i smash my hand with the light in it on the side of my couch and then the 14500 comes out with a *plop*. The 14500s go into the light smoothly until the last few milimeters, then i have to push harder and thats when the batteries get stuck. As it happens with all 3 new batteries i'm guessing it is a problem of the light?

I think i will have to send the light back as working with 14500s was one of its main purposes. I guess this was just bad luck.
    thanks to everyone for the kind help.

congrats!

try an unprotected 14500

Quote Originally Posted by snowdriver View Post
    Spinning the battery out was the solution.
    How did you spin it, with a rope or in the wash drum? Rodeo? Or just like that on the table?

It's kind of hard to describe, you should have been there

Spinning the battery out was the solution. I glued an old alkaline battery on the top of the stuck 14500 and then carefully spinned it out.

But even though I love the light I keep having a hard time with it. All of my 3 new EagleTac 14500s do not work in the light. It just doesn't turn on. Only with Eneloops and Alkalines. Also the 14500s keep getting stuck. But I have developed a more efficient technique to get them out: i smash my hand with the light in it on the side of my couch and then the 14500 comes out with a *plop*. The 14500s go into the light smoothly until the last few milimeters, then i have to push harder and thats when the batteries get stuck. As it happens with all 3 new batteries i'm guessing it is a problem of the light?

I think i will have to send the light back as working with 14500s was one of its main purposes. I guess this was just bad luck.
    thanks to everyone for the kind help.
    If i look closely at the eagletac picture it looks like there is subtle round lip at the top and the bottom.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
    If i look closely at the eagletac picture it looks like there is subtle round lip at the top and the bottom.
    Looking at the picture, it looks like the Eagletac battery has like a disk at tge negative terminal. The disk seems to be off center, and in this case bulges out to the right.
    Why does my wallet cry when I browse this site?

That's strange. I have no trouble with two different ET 14500 in my SC52. They do not easily come out
    again, but with neodym magnets i have no trouble at all, they come in very handy for the task.

But even without magnets, with a little effort the ET 14500 can be released from the SC52.
    I open the tailcap and do as if i throw the light against the ground, but stop in midair. After doing this
    a couple of times, the end of the 14500 sticks out of the tube and can be taken out by hand.

Unenlightened

$65 light + more for batteries and you have to slam it against the couch to get the batteries out? I would just stick to Enerloops.
    Unless of course, using glue, magnets, and slamming techniques makes the flashlight experience more pleasurable...

Both my eagletac 14500 fit fine try smoothing inside of tube with sandpaper it worked for me on a diferent torch.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Light View Post
    $65 light + more for batteries and you have to slam it against the couch to get the batteries out? I would just stick to Enerloops.
    Unless of course, using glue, magnets, and slamming techniques makes the flashlight experience more pleasurable...
    I literally almost spit up my tea this morning after reading this. Thank you for the laugh!

If the light isn't working at all on 14500's I would suggest maybe the cells you're trying are a bit too long, not allowing the tailcap to fully seat and the light is acting like it's "locked out"?

I have some TrustFire 14500's (flame wrapper) that are a bit too long for my SC52 and although the tailcap mostly screws down, it's not enough to allow the light to function. My blue Ultrafires and my AW cells fit fine however.

Flashaholic

It's a good idea to remove the sticker on the cells and any rest of the glue under it (petrol or lamp oil). For some cell/flashlight combinations that helps.
    Of course, the cells from AW will fit perfectly.

I have two sc52's and using two AW 14500 protected cells. Both cells are fine in one of the lights, but the other one I have to give the cells a little push in order to make contact at the positive end. The strength of the tail cap spring is not sufficient to push the battery in all the way. On removal I have to tap the light on a wooden surface to get the battery out. I've inspected the inside of the barrel and it's perfect with no burrs or obstructions, it seems to be a very slight difference in the barrel inside diameter. I really like the lights so hopefully over time it will wear in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast