Zebralight SC52 and EagleTac 14500 Battery

snowdriver

Newly Enlightened
Good morning.
I just purchased the Zebralight SC52. Tested it with a AA Eneloop an everything was perfect.
Then I wanted to test the performance of the light with a 14500. I put in a EagleTac 14500 - and it got stuck. Now i cannot move the battery by any milimeter and the light doesn't work anymore either. I tried putting the light in the freezer and then quickly heated it up - no success.
How did I go wrong? Having both a Eneloop AA and a EagleTac 14500 in my hand they seem to be the same width. The 14500 only is a little longer.
Maybe someone has an idea what i could do?
14lsyl1.jpg

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about a strong magnet?
if all fails, you could slice the top part of the cell wrapper and pull the cell out with a pair of pliers.

holylight

Enlightened
epejyna2.jpg

Saber1A.

This is mine. No chance for my battery to be taken out. Lucky for me I got a casing for $5.

For you, why don't you write to zebralight or your dealer and ask them for solution. Don't damage the casing.

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
Seems like its really stuck. I would try superglue. Use the gel and not the liquid. Put a dab on the stuck battery and then stick the negative side of a AAA battery to it. Let it dry.. Once it's dry you can just try pulling, or stick it in the freezer and get it cold before trying.

snowdriver

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your advice. So I am going to look for a strong magnet before I try anything else. If this is successful maybe the battery will turn out to be faulty (wider than it should be?).

holylight

Enlightened
Putting in freezer is not cool. The components can get condensation, moist and damage them.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Perhaps the sticker got unfolded and glues the battery to the tube.
I'd try the freezer trick again... Wrap it in paper towel, maybe put that in a ziplock bag with some rice (to avoid condensation) in the freezer for about an hour. Then gently warm up the SC52 (with your hand). That way the battery will remain colder than the light and it will probably just slide out, or will respond better to pulling.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
I've had this with my sc60....I have to pound the light hand to hand, so to speak. tactical grip, and hit the heel of my hand with the light on my other hand.. mine will move a mm at a time....I just have to choose the right cell for that light... and all my cells are KP 3100's

Creezy

Newly Enlightened
I have to pound the light hand to hand, so to speak. tactical grip, and hit the heel of my hand with the light on my other hand.. mine will move a mm at a time....

I use the same Eagletac battery in mine with no problems. Yes it is a little snug, but using the method above gets it back out.
Good Luck!!

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with justanotherguy, keep pounding it against your hand or something firm that won't scuff it. See if it will move bit by bit. Maybe try some penetraiting oil on the battery. Any one have concers with a penetraiting lube?

btw, I use the AW 750mah, without issue. It fits nicely, if I press one side against the tube, I get .75 to 1mm gap on the otherside.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Maybe a throwing motion, like you are going to fling the light as hard as you can, like a baseball (but hang on, of course). The inertia might make the cell fly out.

Torky455

Newly Enlightened
I had a similar problem, I got 3 Eagletac batteries with my SC52 and found that they all fit differently. 1 slides in and out no prob, 1 is a bit snug but will come back out, and the 3rd got stuck like yours. It feels like there is a ground strap or something, going up the side of the batt under the wrapper, that is causing the problem. I smacked the part of the light where the clip attaches, against an old wooden table and got it out.
Seems to be a consistency/QC prob with the batteries, they even have 2 different size pos contacts.
BTW, love the light, Good luck with yours!

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Just a thought but you may be able to spin it out with some centrigugal force? Zip tie the body to a wheel and give it a spin so to speak. I would cover the end loosley with gorilla tape, to keep the battery from flying out into space but come out enough to grab it with pliars.

snowdriver

Newly Enlightened
Spinning the battery out was the solution. I glued an old alkaline battery on the top of the stuck 14500 and then carefully spinned it out.
fu2upw.jpg

But even though I love the light I keep having a hard time with it. All of my 3 new EagleTac 14500s do not work in the light. It just doesn't turn on. Only with Eneloops and Alkalines. Also the 14500s keep getting stuck. But I have developed a more efficient technique to get them out: i smash my hand with the light in it on the side of my couch and then the 14500 comes out with a *plop*. The 14500s go into the light smoothly until the last few milimeters, then i have to push harder and thats when the batteries get stuck. As it happens with all 3 new batteries i'm guessing it is a problem of the light?
ncnyjd.jpg

I think i will have to send the light back as working with 14500s was one of its main purposes. I guess this was just bad luck.
thanks to everyone for the kind help.