New Klarus XT2A 280 lumen XPG2. Mini review

TheVat26

Enlightened
So, just rec'd my xt2a from going gear. Thought I was getting the 245 lumen version, but to my surprise its 280!
Specs: 280 lumens 1.5 hours, 65 lumens 8 hours, 7 lumens 90 hours.
Same UI as the familiar XT series.
XPG2 led with orange peel reflector.
107m distance and 2875cd.

First impression out of the box, great construction. Very thick threads, well lubed, not the slightest bit of grit or and little friction screwing or unscrewing. The body feels very robust. One thing that bothered me a bit was the tailcap spring kinda angles off, not completly straight. Light works fine and the wife told me to leave it alone if it works so im over that. This is my second Klarus light (also have RS11) and wasn't expecting a great body clip as I've broken 3 on my RS11. The body clip is actually very cheap. It clips on but will kinda lift from the body if the pocket lip is too thick. It hasn't come off putting in and out yet and shouldn't if your mindful of that.

The holster is a standard nylon, well made and fits the light fine. The lanyard seems nice and robust.

I tested the runtime (2) times on max with eneloops and it ran for 1 hour and 15 minutes at nearly max brightness, then during the next 15 minutes it dimmed to half brightness, then flickered. I know it couldnt have been running at 100% for 1.25 hours but to my eyes it illuminated the room nearly the same from 1 min to 75 min. The head got warm, but not uncomfortable to hold. Happy that it runs per the specs.

The UI on the XT series really is that good. I see why the XT10-11 are so popular. The main switch is large and will access momentary/constant on with either a sideways or straight down press I assume to be easier to use under stress? The main button requires very little pressure to activate and has a nice rubber texture. It's very soft but is a lint trap. Tough to clean but whatever.
What I do like is the output and beam. Indoor close quarters, this is more biased as a flood light. 1-25 yards everything is lit up.

I really like the flood of my RS11, but my only dislike is that the beam is almost too wide. With the XT2a, it floods very well but in a narrower degree. From a tactical perspective, the xt2a is much more useable and peripheral reflections are not a problem as with the RS11.

I wanted a smooth reflector with an xpg led for the balance of flood/throw. I gambled on the OP and xpg2 and was surprised by its compromise of flood/throw meaning that ambient light (dusk or street light) doesn't wash out the pattern too much outdoors. The hotspot is the brightest projection, but the corona and spill appear almost 60-70% as bright as the hotspot. Past 40 yards, the spill isn't too bright but the hotspot/corona throw a fat circle and can identify targets at 80 yards and will give ok illumination at 100 yards.

I've never posted a review on here so I hope this helps anyone considering this light. I feel bad for my Streamlight Pro Tac 2AA as the XT2a now gets my attention. And, I still want to add a 5.11 A2 to the collection.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a fantastic light. For 2AA batteries, the runtime and output are phenomenal. Mine rides along in my bag everyday. The interface is awesome, finally a reasonable compromise between tactical and utility.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I realized about the XT2 with XP-G2 is that is that Low is a lot brighter than the previous XP-G model. Klarus states 4 (XP-G) lumens vs 7 (XP-G2). I suspect is brighter than 7 lumens though.