TN31's and SR90 new mods - Awesome results! (Photo heavy)

rdrfronty

Enlightened
My brother and I have just received a few of our lights back after having several mods done to them. These were done by fellow member vinhnguyen54 - unfortunately we don't have the skills needed. The mods were as follows -
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SR90 - a SBT-70 (NA123) was directly bonded on a custom copper heatsink. The reflector was trimmed and adjusted on the base to allow for the thick copper Sinkpad and for focus. Wires and connections was inspected/replaced as needed
TN31 - a XM-L2 U2 was installed on a copper Sinkpad. All wires and connections were inspected/replaced as needed.
TN31 - a XM-L2 U2 was dedomed and installed on a copper Sinkpad. All wires and connections were inspected/replaced as needed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are a couple shots of the nice work done on the SR90 -
image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-5.jpg

The results were nothing short of phenomenal. Check out the beginning and finished stats for each light -
-------------------------------------------------------------------
SR90 (SST90) 1950 lumens @ 30sec & 144kcd (stock light)

SR90 (SST90) 1275 lumens @ 30sec & 192kcd (dedomed by me)

SR90 (SBT70) 1685 lumens @ 30sec & 325kcd (new mods)
------------------------------------------------------------------

TN31 (XML U2) 1075 lumens @ 30sec & 122kcd (stock light)

TN31 (XM-L2 U2) 1275 lumens @ 30sec & 157kcd (new mods)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

TN31 (XML U2) 1130 lumens @ 30sec & 126kcd (stock light)

TN31 (XM-L2 U2 dedomed) 1115 lumens @ 30sec & 313kcd (new mods)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
We couldn't be happier with these results. The SR90 is a freaking beast now. It took awhile getting the SBT70 with the best bin and it cost me $62 shipped, but I think it was well worth the effort. With my bigger reflector and higher bin, it is easily surpassing the SR95SUT now. And brothers dedomed XML2 TN31 looks almost as impressive as my TN31mb. The tints are very similar, but the TN31's xpg2 gives a slightly tighter beam. And the other TN31 with dome intact even had a nice increase. 200 lumens and about 35k - not too shabby.
And as a side note, we did the throw tests at 1m, 5m, 15m, 25m, and 50m. The 1m test was a joke - the SR90 SBT and TN31mb both test just over a 100k when so close. We were also noticing spots on both dedomed TN31's at 1m - both have a easily noticeable hole at the center of their spots - like a donut. Check this little shot at to see what I mean -
null-28.jpg

So way too close and no way you could get a proper reading at that distance. Next we measure at 5m - all were getting closer to columnated, perhaps 90% there, but not quite enough distance. By 15m all were getting the same basic peak readings as the 25-50m tests. So, with lights in this serious throw level generally I'd say 10-15m minimum is needed.
Since it is similar and also to verify a accuracy of my meter and lightbox, we also tested my TN31mb (758 lumens @ 30sec & 422kcd per tonite's testing), and its results tested within a percent or so of OSTS's official test numbers. So we know are numbers are correct and our testing method was done properly.
So next we decided to take all 4 of these beasts out and see what they would do with some quick beam shots.
Quick little note before I get to the shots. The first set we decided to try was a nice tree in a field that brother likes to shoot at on his way into work. It's on the side of a small highway. So 11pm at night we park on the side of the highway, jump out, get the tripod, getting ready for the first shot. Well 30sec later a cop in a patrol car with a spot light blazing pulls up behind us. It was a small town cop, and in this town they don't have so great of reputation. So the cop walks up wanting to know what we were doing. We explained our plans, showed him our lights, and even demonstrated a couple. We'll the cop was impressed and interested. He then pulls out his light, a Stinger I think, and shot at our same tree 300m away. Well, not spec of light got to the tree that any of us could see. The cop says looks like I need to charge up my batteries. He then started asking about our camera, more about the lights, and continued to talk a couple minutes. Eventually he just tells us to have fun, he gets in his patrol car and took off. This is now our 3rd encounter with law enforcement officers and all 3 were surprising pleasant. Nice to know we have some cool cops in the area.
So, now with the shots. First set is at 300m. A little more ambient light than we prefer, but was a nice tree to shoot at. Shots were not zoomed in. And we were on the side of a highway, doing quick shots - so some of the beams were not centered good on the tree. Here they are -
The contestants (note the colored bands so we could tell one TN31 from the other) -
null-29.jpg

null-30.jpg

Control shot -
DSC01270.jpg

TN31 XM-L2 -
DSC01274.jpg

TN31 XM-L2 dedomed -
DSC01275.jpg

SR90 SBT70 (you can see our pretty Texas bluebonnets with it) -
DSC01277.jpg

TN31mb -
DSC01279.jpg

The next set was done in a nice dark park. Tree was about 110m. Taken in same order -
TN31 XM-L2 -
DSC01285.jpg

TN31 XM-L2 dedomed -
DSC01286.jpg

SR90 SBT70 -
DSC01287.jpg

TN31mb -
DSC01288.jpg

The final set was another tree in the park. This one at about 150m. Camera was at more of a side angle to catch the beams themselves better. Pretty cool beams this time. And the camera was at the same settings. Again same order -
TN31 XM-L2 -
DSC01289.jpg

TN31 XM-L2 dedomed -
DSC01290.jpg

SR90 SBT70 -
DSC01291.jpg

TN31mb -
DSC01292.jpg

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Did you have any changes to the current running the SR90? I think that was the biggest weakness of that light. But that certainly shows the benefit of the copper.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Did you have any changes to the current running the SR90? I think that was the biggest weakness of that light. But that certainly shows the benefit of the copper.
Vinh just replaced the wires and checked all connections. So the driver itself was left alone. But this SR90 was never weak, even in stock form. It is a year old light and apparently those perform better than the first released ones. Even Selfbuilt has stated basically the same thing. As you can see above it tested over 1900 lumens stock. And I even had the stock lumens tested and verified with another respected member with a lightbox. His results were very close to mine. I'm guessing the later models were either driven slightly higher or had better bin SST90's, or both. Seeing that I'm getting awesome numbers with the SBT-70, slightly better than the SR95SUT is rated, I'm leaning towards the driver pushing it pretty good.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Do you know what the drive current is approx? I know the early ones were in the 6-7A range. But, that is very good OTF.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Do you know what the drive current is approx? I know the early ones were in the 6-7A range. But, that is very good OTF.
What I understand, though I have not tested it my self, the later models like mine are suppose to be in the 9A range. I would test it, but not sure how to do it on an enclosed battery pack like it has.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Thanks for the info and well done photos. You can really tell the difference the N binned sbt70. In some of my lights you can tell the difference between a top binned dedomed SST and higher top binned SBT, both on Cu, although the one on the right is in a bigger reflect they run at similar current.

photo%2520%252822%2529.JPG

Fresh Light

Enlightened
I don't think an XM-L2 would work in a 9Amp SR90, but putting a dedomed one in a 6Amp older model light light could be pretty impressive.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
I don't think an XM-L2 would work in a 9Amp SR90, but putting a dedomed one in a 6Amp older model light light could be pretty impressive.
Yes it would be a cool experiment. It still puts out enough lumens it could handle that big reflector. And if bonded on copper it might handle the 6A. Would perhaps be another 100 lumens over our TN's result. If I recollect, they are putting out about 4.2A. Though I think my brothers dedomed TN31 was pushed harder than my none dedomed one going by their pre-modded output.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
I traded my SR90 to Lambda and he put in one of the SBT90s. I'm pretty sure it was before the SBT-90-W65S-F71-MB102 was available. It did show a good increase in lux, but the new SBT90s are considerably better, albeit much more expensive, as you know. I know this LED has been measured at over 300K lux using a reflector 22mm smaller than that of the SR90. I have one and it is one of my best throwers.

I would be interested as to what bin the SR95 is using. Here it is, and it has recently gone down 10.00 http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=SBT-90-W65S-F71-MB102&vendor=1214. I do see that the new even higher bin N bin that you are using, just in SBT90 here, is available as well.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=VLqgnI34BYloPUQcHLJzZA==

Last edited:

rdrfronty

Enlightened
I traded my SR90 to Lambda and he put in one of the SBT90s. I'm pretty sure it was before the SBT-90-W65S-F71-MB102 was available. It did show a good increase in lux, but the new SBT90s are considerably better, albeit much more expensive, as you know. I know this LED has been measured at over 300K lux using a reflector 22mm smaller than that of the SR90. I have one and it is one of my best throwers.

I would be interested as to what bin the SR95 is using. Here it is, and it has recently gone down 10.00 http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=SBT-90-W65S-F71-MB102&vendor=1214. I do see that the new even higher bin N bin that you are using, just in SBT90 here, is available as well.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=VLqgnI34BYloPUQcHLJzZA%3d%3d
I'm curious what bin SBT90 Vinh has in his SR90. It was his king light until he recently made a heavy modded TN31 dedomed XML2. That passed up his SBT90 light. Now with my SBT70 he said he was very impressed & surprised with it. He did beam shots a couple days ago on this forum of both of our SR90's and mine easily out powered his.
I find it strange there are so many variations of these SBT & SST LEDS. On the SBT70, I've seen bins varying from about 1200 lumens & up to about 2000 lumens at the emitter. The very best bin I couldn't find anybody selling it, so I had to go down a bin. Obviously still a good one though.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
I am one of the minority around here that actually prefer cool temp lights. So I am very pleased with my SBT70's tint. It wouldn't bother me if it was a little whiter, but I'm totally cool on the blueish tint.
Thanks for the links.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
I am one of the minority around here that actually prefer cool temp lights. So I am very pleased with my SBT70's tint. It wouldn't bother me if it was a little whiter, but I'm totally cool on the blueish tint.
Thanks for the links.
I don't have any problem with the cooler tints either, but they just appear less bright to me to my eyes and in photographs. I'm sure you are like me and getting increasingly hard to impress and in search of that ultimate Holy $#!* Light once again.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I really want to upgrade my SR90 and SR91 but man I am so cheap. I have been debating for several days already LOL

rdrfronty

Enlightened
I really want to upgrade my SR90 and SR91 but man I am so cheap. I have been debating for several days already LOL
You could do just one of your lights now. Obviously the SR90 would benefit the most. I truthfully am VERY pleased I went this direction and got you to install the SBT70. In recent months since I had dedomed the SST90 in it, I've been fairly disappointed with the light. It went from likely my favorite light when I got it a year ago to maybe 4th of 5th place among my light. Since the SBT70 install it has moved way up. Now it and my BTU Shocker are tied for first place for medium to big lights. And I can say even though I have a TN31mb which is awesome itself. But the SR90 still has an 1100m throw, not too far behind the mb, but at the same time offers great flood Andover twice the lumens. So the TN31mb got bumped down to 3rd place.
When I take the SBT70 powerd SR90 in a nice dark area it quite simple amazing. You see the super strong beam in the center shooting hundreds of yards, and surrounding it is a nice wide flood beam shooting up around it. Its just freaking awesome!