First REAL purchases

Gallen1119

Newly Enlightened
I've been around and reading but haven't posted. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first REAL light purchases and want to get opinions from the pros here. I've got two shopping carts open. The first is at Zebralights for:

• H600 Cree XM-L 750Lm Headlamp 18650 and ZL631 Combo
  • SC600 Mk II 18650 XM-L 900Lm Flashlight

The second cart is at Orbtronics for:

• XTAR SP2 Rapid Charger For 18650 14500 26650 Li-ion
  • 1 - Protected 3400mAh 18650 Li-ion Rechargeable Battery - Cell Panasonic NCR18650B - Orbtronic
  • 1 - Panasonic 3400mAh 18650 Li-ion Rechargeable Battery NCR18650B

My primary uses will be backpacking and around the house. I have a Fenix LD01 as an EDC. Also use a Petzl e+lite around camp when low output is ok. I'm new to 18650 cells, but I realize the protected 3400 mAh orbtronic probably won't fit the H600. Total $ will be about $270 for the two carts.

Any comments, criticisms, suggestions? Do you see buyers remorse in my future?

Racer

Enlightened
I doubt you'll have any buyer's remorse. At my house, the wife gets the buyer's remorse for both of us when she looks at our bank statements ;)

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
The LD01 is pretty real. I think you know what your doing.

Gallen1119

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, that's exactly what I thought.
You are interested in a light that is popular.
Think Justin Bieber.
Do you like his music?

Ouch!

No, not a huge JB fan, but this is isn't Billboard Top 100 Pop Hits either. It's CPF, so I thought a knowledgable person might give some advice to a less knowledgable person rather than just dissing an entire brand without explanation. I've actually read reviews and specs for many brands, here and elsewhere.

For my headlight use, SureFire, Spark, Fenix, and ZL seemed to have the best specs. Wanting to stay with 18650's for the huge runtime advantage (don't want to carry extra cells) for extended trips, the ZL H600 series seemed best.

While I was in buying mode, a handheld, single cell 18650 light seemed to be a good idea. I am open to and interested in hearing alternatives. I've considered an EagleTac G25C2 MKII an a Nitecore EC25. I would be interested in hearing other opinions about these or other brands entirely.

PS. Although I am still not a fan, I did take my 12 y/o daughter to a JB concert a couple of years ago, and he is quite talented.

Last edited:

TSellers

Newly Enlightened
Looks like the ZL H600 in a NW tint and/or flood is hard to find right now, and both are of interest for backcountry use and more suitable than a CW tint for that purpose. Accordingly you may also wish to research the SPark SD6-NW a bit more and consider the options of both spot/flood lenses and the mag/tripod mounts.

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
I recently got the Zebra sc52. I think it's one of the finest lights I've ever owned. At one time I was looking into the sc600 I think it's a great option for an 18650 light.

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I was in buying mode, a handheld, single cell 18650 light seemed to be a good idea. I am open to and interested in hearing alternatives. I've considered an EagleTac G25C2 MKII an a Nitecore EC25. I would be interested in hearing other opinions about these or other brands entirely.
:welcome:

I have both the original ZL SC600, and an EagleTac G25C2. Both of them have nice qualities.

The UI on the ZL is - in my opinion - one of the best and easiest to use. It makes it quick to turn the light on in low or high mode without even needing to look at it. It also has a very high high, and an extremely low low which makes it versatile.

I also really like the G25C2. The build quality is excellent, and I personally like the look of the light. It has a very similar high (mine is the original model - the new ones have a much higher max output) although doesn't go quite as low as the SC600. The other thing I like about this light is the optional flip-over filter assembly. The construction quality is very good, and it makes it very easy to swap different filters in and out (it's great when using with the diffuser, for example).

Another one of my favorite brands is Sunwayman. You might take a look at some of their lights and see if any of them interest you. The V20C is a nice light since it has an infinitely variable ring for adjusting the output (although it's not as bright as the other lights - if that's important to you).

apache blue

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, that's exactly what I thought.
You are interested in a light that is popular.
Think Justin Bieber.
Do you like his music?

Are you for real? You're actually mugging off a new member for choosing a zebra light because it's popular? Justin Bieber?

I can only imagine whats in your collection that put you in a position to speak like this because seriously, having owned all sorts of cool exotics (tri v, macs tri edc damascus, prometheus alpha, haiku etc) I can safely say that my zebralights can hold up well against anything. O.P. go for the zebra light , maybe consider the sc600 with a nitecore headband? 2 for the price of 1.
Gordo, maybe you might want to reconsider your attitude to people new to the forum and try being a little more polite and respectful

If you're interested in an off the shelf 18650 handheld to complement the s/h 600 maybe an armytec predator? flood on your head but throw in your hand. If you fancy going custom/semi custom try dark sucks for the prometheus alpha, IMHO the best 18650 light on the market

P.S. :welcome:

Last edited:

TSellers

Newly Enlightened
I really like the H600 but I started to have switch problems, and I felt the headband quality was not up to the standards of a high end light like this. I also regretted buying the CW tint for Thru Hiking purposes when you start out an hour before the sun comes out, and started to carry one of my warmer tint floody EDC's for inbounds activities such as cooking or rigging the food cache (I have found that finding lost items on the ground or animal track recognition is better with tints around 4000K). I wish the ZL had an optional interchangeable lens for spot/flood because it is available in a NW version with the warmer tint. The problems I encountered with the ZL might be along the lines what Gordo was thinking of in the tongue-in-cheek analogy he crafted, that as a Canadian, I got a chuckle from, and are discussed in more detail on CPF in threads such as this.

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're interested in an off the shelf 18650 handheld to complement the s/h 600 maybe an armytec predator? flood on your head but throw in your hand. If you fancy going custom/semi custom try dark sucks for the prometheus alpha, IMHO the best 18650 light on the market
These are both great recommendations as well. I have a version 1 Predator. It's a great light, and very flexible in configuration due to the programmability (although if this scares you, you can just leave it as shipped and it's still quite nice).

Getting into custom lights is an entirely different level (in cost, but also in craftsmanship and style). I have large number of high end lights (and a Prometheus Alpha is on my to-buy-soon list) and I like all of them. Given the much higher cost of custom lights, it might be best to buy an off-the-shelf light or two first, to learn what you like and then you can buy a custom light if desired.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mentioned backpacking and campsite. Meaning that you are pretty much exposed to the elements right.
I would have opted for something that have the mechanical McClicky switch rather than electronic type switch.

I live in the topics with high humidity and rainfall. ZL didn't perform too well for me in the elements. Many people think waterproofing is all about submersion but constant water trickle can be as bad. Leave the light out in the rain where droplets of water hits the body and flows down the joints. I had several failed.

I got really good results with the Malkoff MD2 with a Malkoff drop in. Single stage or 2 stage with the Hilo ring. Takes 2 primaries or an 18650. It is not much of a looker but you get light no matter what you do to it. Dunk it, leave it out in the rain, drop it, you name it. You will still get light. And the McClicky if you manage to break it, it changes out in 2 minutes.

Last edited: