Quad Optic Removal

jaycyu

Enlightened
77877f4f.jpg

When I attempt to remove the Carlco Optic (the one of the right), 2 of the pillars snapped off. :mecry:The detached pieces are leveled with the PCB, so there's probably no getting it out unless it drill them to dust. To be fair, the poles are drilled for 6mm trits. I hope 2 functional pillars can endure normal useage. When I first installed it, I had to push the optic all the way in, allowing the light to refract properly in the solid medium.

So the question is, what is the right way to remove Tri/Quad optics from drop-ins in the first place?

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends what kind of glue and how much was used. If it's super, enough 'twisting' force can shear the bond and it will come off.

Otherwise get a drill bit with the right width and drill the stuff out. I've used a small precision flat head screwdriver. The screwdriver fits into the seat perfectly and you can 'drill' residue out that way.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could also try a pin vise drill with some very narrow copper or brass rod (often sold at hobby shops with the pin vise drill). A pin vise drill is a small handheld manual drill that allows you to drill tiny holes as thin as the wire of a small paperclip. Use an awl or metal spike to put a starter hole on the post stuck in the base and on the optic where it broke off. Drill a tiny hole with the pin vise drill on each side. Then insert a tiny bit of the rod in each of the holes.