Hyper-lux V with new reflector

harebawl

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have one of the 5 watters with the new reflector instead of optics? Was wondering how the beam quality was? Are ther any reviews? I did a search but haven't found any.

Thanks

alexgian

Newly Enlightened
I got mine a few days ago, unfortunately I do not have beamshots to show but I can definitely tell you that this thing is *bright*, much brighter than my L4... It definitely has a nice beam with a good throw and quite a sidespill.
The actual construction is pretty good with an accurate machining. Being very anal I would say that only the tailcap shows some tiny production marks but I should also add that my Hl-V is silver and this finish is not very forgiving...
Threads are nice and smooth.
One thing that I like of this custom production is that you know what goes in your light, no Luxeon lottery here.
Hope it helps.

harebawl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Alex! Does your light have a good narrow spot with side spill, or is it a larger spot like the L4 with more throw?

Tahnks again!

alexgian

Newly Enlightened
Well, IMHO it is not very narrow being somehow L4ish..., but it has more throw than the L4.

Alex

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
So more along the lines of the new L5 then? Does anyone have beamshots or pics of the refecltor/led business end?

alexgian

Newly Enlightened
Well, I don't know how it can compare to the L5, I do not have one../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif The dimentions of the reflector are quite similar so I would think that the output should also be similar and actually considering that the HL-V is a 9V direct drive light the output could actually be stronger - at least initially- , but, again, this is only mere speculation from my side... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Alex

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sir,

In order to advertise a commercial web site here, you need to be a paying sponsor. I see you are not, yet it is obvious that you have a commercial interest in that site you keep mentioning. Please cease, or subscribe, else the administration will suspend your member account.

Respectfully,

CPF member #174.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a lighter, on-topic note, I have a Hyper-Lux V on order but have not heard anything since, so hope everything`s OK and it arrives soon. I`m looking forward to seeing how the reflector performs with the Luxeon LED. I have a 5 Watt Lux-Star from TNC and it is a great light, fit & finish are first rate. The HyperLux should hopefully be just as good if not better.

I`ll post some details & beamshots when it arrives.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It`s here. Top quality as I imagined:

tnchyperluxv.jpg

tnchyperluxvfront.jpg

Beam shot:

tnchyperluxvbeam.jpg

Comparisons, little TNC to big TNC:

tnchyperluxvluxstar.jpg

TNC to SureFire:

tnchyperluxvsfl4.jpg

I didn`t think it was fair to compare it to the Arc LS3, my only other 5-watter, since that one is underdriven. And I don`t have the L5/L6 yet, if ever now that SF are cutting off all my sources /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif .

Impressive thing! Almost bigger than it looks, but it`s all solid alu - feels pretty indestructable but not too heavy. Three CR123s and a plain resistor mean it`ll run a fair time, with plenty of dimmer light as time goes on. The colour is good, nice and white with a suggestion of pink/purple, nothing objectionable at all. The reflector is plastic and quite deep with a semi-satin finish to the silvering, whether this is intentional or not I don`t know. There *is* a bit of a donut-hole in the middle of that nice focussed beam, but it isn`t too noticeable. This one taken from about 6 feet away from the target:

tnchyperluxvbeamwide.jpg

And there`s a nice lot of useful side-spill making it a great outdoors light. I seem to recall that it`ll take a standard Fraen optic of one kind or another to tailor the beam to your own preferences, but don`t hold me to that.

Top marks!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
beatiful light. I love that splash anodizing. I also like the ribs and the nice diagonal knurling.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Nice beamshots. Could you do some run time tests when you get to it. On new bats. it is brighter than L4, but how about after 30 min. or so? It's an unregulated light right?

Jan

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="800080">is that a bubble or a hair on your Luxeon?</font>

It`s actually a sliver of plastic shaved from the bottom of the reflector by one of the incoming leads, appears to be still attached to the reflector. Must`ve happened as I re-fitted it after being nosey and taking it apart to see what was in there. I expect I tightened it back just a little too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif .

-

Run tests are difficult here, they currently require my primary computer system to be tied up for the duration. I have been planning on trying to set an old one up to do the "data logging" but never have the time to sort the thing out. I`ll see what I can do though as far as informal tests go. Yes, it is unregulated so I expect the L4 could take over after a while. But once that one drops out of regulation and plummets, the HLV could very possibly take the lead again till it fades to nothingness.