British Police Flashlights over the past 30 years.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
WARNINGThis thread won't get your heart racing!!

I joined the Police in 1983 and in those day the only thing you got issued with, besides your uniform, was a pocket book and a wooden truncheon.

My first night on foot patrol I was advised that I could book out one of the station flashlights, an Eveready 2 x D Cell Rubber Torch.

rubbertorch_zps030f14bb.jpg

Not what you would call High Tech! The one's that we used were black but I couldn't fine a photograph of one, so You'll have to make do with the red version.

Of course the car driver's got the car allocated flashlight, we called them a Bardic, which had a filter which could be turned across the bulb to give either white, red, green or amber light. The light output however was not a lot better than the rubber Eveready!

BardicLamp_zps1a684454.jpg

The example above has Telecom on it so it wasn't just the Police that used them. I think they were made to attach to train wagons.

In the late eighties we all got issued with Maglite D cell torches, and at the time we thought they were the bees knees!

maglite-2-d-cell-flashlight_zps3234fd87.jpg

The cars also got an upgrade with Handheld 12v Halogen lamps that plugged into a portable 12v battery.

HandHeldHalogen_zpsd04f889c.jpg

Then around the turn of the century the powers that be decided that we should all be issued with Mini Maglites instead of the D cell Maglites. Needless to say they weren't ideal, and they are still being issued today.

mini_maglite_zps2c972ba8.jpg

But the cars were being equipped with a far better light that is again is still in service today, the British made 'Dragon Light', these lamps tended to be on charge at the Police Station and you would take one out on patrol with you to ensure that the battery was fully charged.
They put out a lot of light but are quiet heavy.

DragonLite_zps2c31e2a2.jpg

So you could either chase an offender down a dark alley with your issued Mini Maglite or grab the Dragon Light, needless to say most officers chase them dowm the alley without any additional lighting and rely on their night vision! Fortunately in the UK there is little chance of being shot or stabbed and because of that we are issued with bullet and knife resistant vests, which weigh an additional 14lbs, so the chance of catching said offender is slim anyway!!

Fortunately for the past nine years I have been a member of the local Air Support Unit so the offenders have difficulty outrunning a Eurocopter EC135, when I want to light then up I use the 30 million candle power Nitesun fitted to the aircraft.

Nitesun_zpsb2560e59.jpg

Now that's what I call a flashlight!!!

Stay safe out there.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks for the history, Dave. It looks like there's still some room for improvement. Surely it's time to move up from the Mini-Mag.

Geoff

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just goes to show that the people who make the decisions about the equipment issued have no idea as to how effective the equipment they are supplying is.

The bottom line is the cost, I submitted reports suggesting that all officers working the streets should be issued with Surefire G2's when they first came out.

I even managed to get an offer of a discounted price for bulk purchasing them but as soon as the bean counters saw the price they wouldn't even entertain the idea.

Only five months left until I retire and the situation is getting worse, the UK Police are facing 25% financial cutbacks, we have lost 10 helicopters from around the country leaving 23 to cover England and Wales.

This video sums it up nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88Rc4RhQJk

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remembered that Dog Handlers (K-9 Officers) and Firearms Officers (SWAT) did get issued with Surefire 6P's.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Thanks for the history!! I am in LE here in the states. Sorry to hear about the lack of appropriate lighting you are issued. I do however know all about funding issues. Not to open a can of worms, but will the departments let officers carry personal lights? Keep us posted and be safe!!!

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to open a can of worms, but will the departments let officers carry personal lights?

It's not a problem carrying your own flashlight, I quickly bought something similar to a Maglite when I first joined and in later years I bought myself one of the incandescent Sure G2's which I carried on my duty belt in a Modanock baton holder, which I shortened with a hack saw to just a bit longer than the G2 so that the tailcap switch wouldn't activate the light whilst it was in its holder. We were issued with the Modanock expandable batons so it was fairly easy to get an extra holder.

front_draw.jpg

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great history of UK Police lights Dave. Also nice to see a couple of the older lights. My Dad had at least two of the rubber covered 2D lights in our house and in the car. I still have two of the Bardic lanterns, ex British rail and modded to take alternate batteries.

I have asked police Officers in London about their lights issue - normally when I spy an interesting light on their belts. The ones with surefires (G2, C2 and Z2 I have seen) always say they are their own lights and lament the issue of Maglites as the norm. They seemed to like the fact that I, a Civvy, was also carrying a Surefire. A friendly bunch of chaps and chappesses IMHO.

Loved the big Helicopter light - often see those deployed in Central London.

I'm sure those five months will go quickly. Happy retirement.

nbp

Flashaholic
Nice post. Thanks. :)

A shame to see that issued equipment is often sub-par though...makes it hard for these folks to do their jobs effectively. :ironic:

999snafu

Newly Enlightened
Not to open a can of worms, but will the departments let officers carry personal lights?

I'm also a UK cop and my force is totally different to DaveD's in terms of issuing outdated lights, mine doesn't do this.

In fact they don't issue any lights, if you want a flashlight, you HAVE to bring your own!!! I'm still shocked by the fact that a lot of cops don't carry a flashlight at all!

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also a UK cop and my force is totally different to DaveD's in terms of issuing outdated lights, mine doesn't do this.

In fact they don't issue any lights, if you want a flashlight, you HAVE to bring your own!!! I'm still shocked by the fact that a lot of cops don't carry a flashlight at all!

I even bought my first pair of handcuffs, as we didn't get issued with those either. My first issued handcuffs were the ones with the plastic handle making them a rigid cuff, I think we got them in the late eighties.

I went back on the streets recently for a short period of time and it surprised me that the young cops don't get themselves an upgraded torch of some sort, the ones that do don't want to spend any more that £20. My G2 served me well and was worth the money, especially when you divide the cost by the number of years of use.

If Surefire would bring out a rechargeable G2X Pro, with the High output as the primary, then I think that would be a very good duty flashlight for UK Officers.

Oldenslo

Newly Enlightened
Enjoyed your post Dave. I'm retired Sgt in U.S. got out of the academy in '77 and reported to south station. There were 3 Every Ready aluminum flashlights, with the magnetic strips on the bottom, to "borrow". Also a box of old Ray O Vac d cell batteries. The next morning I went the uniform shop and bought a 2 cell Mag lite, which was some what better it has a spare bulb in the cap. Eventually changed departments and was issued a Streamlight SL20. Carried it for many years. Now own 2 of these. Also used a Surefire 6p, carried on my belt. Recently changed it to LED and carry it every where.

dougie

Enlightened
Dave, if you think UK Police Officers had problems with the torches they were issued with you'd be amazed at the rubbish that UK ambulance services had to contend with. As you might expect as UK ambulance services were and are funded by the NHS all non clinical equipment chosen was down to a select group of faceless individuals :( Needless to say that there were always supposed to be two torches to every ambulance. However, that didn't necessarily mean two of the same type!! I remember buying a 2 x AA Maglite and thinking how brilliant it was compared to the usual 'D' size monstrosities that were issued on the vehicles. As size matters and as I usually worked solo for the last 10 years I ended up carrying a Surefire G2z with a Malkoff dropin module. That light helped me do my job brilliantly and was chosen specifically as I could use it between my teeth when working and I needed both hands free. Unfortunately, I'm waiting to retire (work related injury and subsequent ill health) but like you am having to look forward to a new chapter in my life. In my case though I wish I'd been able to get another five years in :(

Anyway great to see the pictures of the old torches. The Eveready certainly takes me back!!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Your images are oversize, when you post an image please remember Rule #3

Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Please resize and repost. - Thanks Norm

matt4350

Enlightened
My station's still using MagRs. Someone went and bought a bunch of Lenser M7Rs for station issue, which we all thought was cool, but they didn't stand up to constant, every-night use. The Mag seems mostly reliable at least. 999snafu, my sympathies! Unbelievable (almost) that a department would compromise officer safety to such an extent, just to save a few quid.

OccupationalHazard

Newly Enlightened
Whilst I cannot confirm, the latest I have heard from a good friend in the Leics force is that new recruits are being issued a £20 voucher for boots and a torch!!! Painful!