Imalent        
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

  1. #1

    Kiss AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Just as the title states Prometheus AAA or Surefire Titan which one ?

    Iím looking for the most robust AAA money can buy for my Grabbag.
    I donít need the brightest but I do need reliability or would it be worth going down the custom road ! And getting something build , I read there a tiny AAA MCGIZMO would that be with considering.




    Also while Iím here ... Does anyone know if Surefire will be releasing a - AA - in the near future .





    Any comments would be appreciated as you can tell my knowledge of flashlights is poor.
    So thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,403

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    From my experience I find the Titan Plus to be considerably more robust than the Beta QR. I have had a Titan Plus for several years and I like it a lot. The brass body gives the feeling of quality and the beam is quite nice. I then bought an aluminum Beta QR, carried it a few times, and sold it. There wasnít anything inherently wrong with it, and I did like the Nichia in it, but the thin walls and light weight didnít inspire a lot of confidence. I also found the slippery nickel plating made it very hard to cycle the modes. The matte finish on the Titan is grippy. Its possible that the Beta in the other materials like brass or copper it feels different in hand but I didnít feel the connection to it I was hoping for. So I bought a second Titan Plus just in case.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,403

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Also, the McGizmo Sapphire is an awesome light in itís own right and I love mine. But only about 10 lumens and triple-ish the cost of the others so itís kinda apples and screwdrivers comparison. I would think carefully about your intended usage patterns.

  4. #4
    Flashaholic* the0dore3524's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    California (Bay Area)
    Posts
    1,287

    Default AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Iím going to agree with nbp. I had the opportunity to try the Beta QR in both brass and aluminum in a pass-around. The Beta QRís saving grace is definitely its Nichia 219b and moonlight mode. The aluminum one, however, lacks a moonlight mode and feels far too light to be substantial. As opposed to the Beta QRs, the nickel-plated brass of the Titan Plus gives it a nice heft and additional heat sink for the high.

    If you want Hi-Cri and moonlight mode ===> Beta QR in brass or copper
    If you want reliability and max lumens ===> Titan Plus

    I highly recommend checking out TnC products or the Peak Eiger. Both cater to a variety of metals and the Peak Eiger even has potted electronics. Thereís also always the Fenix E01 which has a potted head too. Many torture tests done on that light...IIRC itís the ďcockroachĒ of the flashlight world.
    Last edited by the0dore3524; 05-12-2018 at 11:08 PM.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

  5. #5
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,390

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    As has already been mentioned ... Peak Eiger

    Peak El Capitan for AA.

    Or, you can just get the Peak Logan 17500 and the adapter set, to run whatever you might have handy (AA, AAA, CR123A, etc)
    Last edited by archimedes; 05-13-2018 at 01:25 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  6. #6

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    From my experience I find the Titan Plus to be considerably more robust than the Beta QR. I have had a Titan Plus for several years and I like it a lot. The brass body gives the feeling of quality and the beam is quite nice. I then bought an aluminum Beta QR, carried it a few times, and sold it. There wasnít anything inherently wrong with it, and I did like the Nichia in it, but the thin walls and light weight didnít inspire a lot of confidence. I also found the slippery nickel plating made it very hard to cycle the modes. The matte finish on the Titan is grippy. Its possible that the Beta in the other materials like brass or copper it feels different in hand but I didnít feel the connection to it I was hoping for. So I bought a second Titan Plus just in case.
    I've been carrying a HAIII Beta QRV1 full time on my keychain for several years now, and beyond the anodizing wearing from rubbing against other stuff on the keychain and the occasional drop, the light is as good today as it was the day I got it in the mail.

    You said the Titan is more robust than the Beta, but it sounds like much of that is based on the heavier weight of the brass the Titan is made from giving it a nice quality feel.

    I feel that's an unfair assessment considering that A) The Beta will of course be lighter weight because it is made of aluminum. Depending on how you look at it, that's an advantage for the Beta, since I don't need my keys to be extra heavy, and the light doesn't produce much heat considering its powered by a AAA and not driven all that hard... And B) The Beta is available in Brass. So it is entirely possible to compare a Brass Beta to the brass Titan Plus...

    I feel you chose an aluminum Beta instead of a brass Beta, and then held the choice of material against the light as a flaw.

    Sorry, I'm obviously a HUGE cheerleader for the Betas and Prometheus Lights in general, so here I am trying to defend their legitimacy as a keychain light... LOL

  7. #7
    Moderator
    nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,403

    Default AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Fair enough, we can throw out the weight of the light. I still liked the thicker walls and meatier bezel protecting the lens of the Titan over the Beta. The grippy texture of their nickel plating coupled with the flats on the head of the Titan also makes it much easier to actuate, especially one handed, than the slippery nickel finish on the Beta. Also, the Titan comes with a pocket clip, while the clip for the Beta (which is a great clip and probably my favorite part of the light) is sold separately and cost 42% of the price of the light. If you compare prices of the brass Beta with an added clip and the Titan Plus the Beta is actually more expensive and itís essentially a Lumintop Worm while the the Surefire is USA made if thatís important to a person. I really wanted to love the Beta and have a light to match my Prometheus pen, but I was underwhelmed. I loved my Prometheus Alpha - I only sold it because the large size made it difficult to carry in a pocket like I prefer. Iím just sharing my personal experience but I respect everyoneís right to pick the light that fits their needs best! A person doesnít have to like the Titan on my account. 🏻

  8. #8

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    If you don't mind, I'm curious to know what the Titan Plus does as the battery depletes. Does the light level step down or does it just turn off/refuse to turn on? I love the Microstream (completely different light, of course) but the fact it just goes POOF is annoying. Thanks.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,390

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Quote Originally Posted by elzilcho View Post
    If you don't mind, I'm curious to know what the Titan Plus does as the battery depletes....
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post4766846
    ... is the archimedes peak

  10. #10

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Thanks for that, tells me just what I need to know. I had found the thread but hadn't made my way through it yet.

  11. #11
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,390

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Quote Originally Posted by elzilcho View Post
    Thanks for that, tells me just what I need to know. I had found the thread but hadn't made my way through it yet.
    Certainly, cheers !

    That is an important post, but indeed difficult to find, unless already very familiar with the thread
    ... is the archimedes peak

  12. #12
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,145

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    I all too often see people associating mass with durability, but I can't help but think that's purely psychological and counterintuitive. If you think about it, the most vulnerable parts of lights are inside the metal, not the metal itself. If you were to take 2 nearly identical lights, only differing in body materials, say 1 steel, 1 aluminum and dropped them from the same height, the aluminum light would take more external cosmetic damage, but the steel one will hit with a much harder impact due to it's increased mass would more likely damage the internals.

    Something to think about, especially if the head isn't potted.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

  13. #13
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,390

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Sadly, not as simple as all that ... as it depends on the specifics. Forces involved in drop from a height are very different than crushing forces on a tube, or, say, shearing forces on machined threads.

    I have had threaded two-piece aluminum tubes snap clean in half when subjected to relatively limited lateral stress.

    And lightweight aluminum tubes dented beyond practical repair under minimal pressure.

    Sure, steel can be stronger, but you trade off heat handling and other features of aluminum
    ... is the archimedes peak

  14. #14

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    The harder the material used to make the body of the light, the more impact force will be transferred to the components inside the light when the light is dropped. A softer material will absorb some of the impact energy and therefore transfer a bit less impact energy into the components inside the light.

    To exaggerate the effect I'm talking about, imagine a rubber bodied flashlight. As the rubber deforms under impact it absorbs much of the impact energy, and the components inside have a less jarring experience.

  15. #15
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,145

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Sadly, not as simple as all that ... as it depends on the specifics. Forces involved in drop from a height are very different than crushing forces on a tube, or, say, shearing forces on machined threads.

    I have had threaded two-piece aluminum tubes snap clean in half when subjected to relatively limited lateral stress.

    And lightweight aluminum tubes dented beyond practical repair under minimal pressure.

    Sure, steel can be stronger, but you trade off heat handling and other features of aluminum
    Let's think about this more realistically and how it would apply to flashlights. What kind of drop is a flashlight going to endure that would shear aluminum, but not cause damage to a heavier hitting steel bodied light's internals?

    The stories that have been told about the Arc AAA's durability are legendary and I'm pretty sure the Arc's body isn't that thick.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

  16. #16
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,390

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Quote Originally Posted by defloyd77 View Post
    Let's think about this more realistically and how it would apply to flashlights. What kind of drop is a flashlight going to endure that would shear aluminum, but not cause damage to a heavier hitting steel bodied light's internals?The stories that have been told about the Arc AAA's durability are legendary and I'm pretty sure the Arc's body isn't that thick.
    Not sure what exactly you mean by "more realistically" above, but when I accidentally dropped an aluminum NiteCore D10 from a height of about 3 - 4 feet onto a wooden floor, once, several years ago, it broke. In half.

    I have also dropped a Peak El Capitan, of similar size and shape but made of steel, from approximately the same height, probably dozens of times by now, onto many different surfaces (including wood, asphalt, metal, and concrete) , yet it continues to remain structurally sound and functional too.
    Last edited by archimedes; 05-21-2018 at 06:20 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  17. #17
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,145

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Not sure what exactly you mean by "more realistically" above, but when I accidentally dropped an aluminum NiteCore D10 from a height of about 3 - 4 feet onto a wooden floor, once, several years ago, it broke. In half.

    I have also dropped a Peak El Capitan, of similar size and shape but made of steel, from approximately the same height, probably dozens of times by now, onto many different surfaces (including wood, asphalt, metal, and concrete) , yet it continues to remain structurally sound and functional too.
    I've dropped plenty of aluminum lights of varying sizes on concrete, not a single one of them broke in half, just cosmetic damage. One user many years back dropped an Arc AAA and a Fenix E01 off of a 5 story balcony onto concrete and both survived.

    Not sure what was up with your D10, but that should not have happened, especially onto a wood floor
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

  18. #18
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,390

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Quote Originally Posted by defloyd77 View Post
    I've dropped plenty of aluminum lights of varying sizes on concrete, not a single one of them broke in half, just cosmetic damage. One user many years back dropped an Arc AAA and a Fenix E01 off of a 5 story balcony onto concrete and both survived.

    Not sure what was up with your D10, but that should not have happened, especially onto a wood floor
    I didn't say anything about an Arc, nor an E01

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    .... it depends on the specifics....
    Yep, guess so.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  19. #19
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,145

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I didn't say anything about an Arc, nor an E01
    Just 2 examples of aluminum lights that have endured more of an impact than the average light will. Never owned an Arc, but the E01 isn't that thick behind the threads.......
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

  20. #20
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,390

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    I think the potting of the electronics is the common factor ... moreso than the choice of metal for the tubes.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  21. #21
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,145

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I think the potting of the electronics is the common factor ... moreso than the choice of metal for the tubes.
    Well I did say it was something to think about, especially if the head isn't potted.

    Are the Prometheus and Titan potted?
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

  22. #22
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,390

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Quote Originally Posted by defloyd77 View Post
    Well I did say it was something to think about, especially if the head isn't potted.

    Are the Prometheus and Titan potted?
    Neither of those are, I think.
    ... is the archimedes peak

  23. #23
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,499

    Default Re: AAA Prometheus or SF Titan

    Youre not the first one to break a d10 in half. It's a weakness on those lights. Piston is taking up a lot of room, so the outer alu walls are really thin under the threading. I broke one of mine while walking with the d10 in my pocket. And if you start digging, you'll find some others that broke their d10's in half on the same spot. The thickest and most beefy aaa light i got, broke down on me. It's a lenselight micro in titanium. You wont find a more overbuildt aaa light. It's so thick walled that its thicker than some of my aa lights. That did'nt help when i dropped it and the driver got whacked. My experience with breaking aaa light is really high. Most of my lights are aaa. The arc and the fenix e01 seems unbreakable. Also have a mako flood that seems hard to kill.
    Last edited by jorn; 05-22-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •