ar weaponlights

markeday

Newly Enlightened
I have been studying weapon lights for a while on CPF and other places and it seems there is a debate about what's best.I own many lights including surefires big handguard 500 lumens light,too much money and to many batteries.I got the olight 500 lumen and the powertac warrior 650 lumen lights.I think the lights are similar the olight is smaller and lighter for weapon mounting,run times are good andwith rrechargeable 18650 batteries they are cheap to run.Construction on both lights are good I would recommend either one.I also bought the klarus xt20 and wow what a powerhouse.I had considered getting a surefire fury but with the lack of a front spring and if can't use the 18650 batteries I didn't feel it had the multiple features I was looking for.

scsmith

Newly Enlightened
Are you asking us for suggestions on AR weapon lights, sharing your observations, or just trying knock Surefire?

markeday

Newly Enlightened
Not knocking anyone,just saying when I was researching I couldn't come to a definitive decision based on the facts presented.If money is the problem when someone is looking for a weapon light then I would recommend the olight or powertac warrior based on the fact that they will take the abuse of recoil.I have 7 surefire lights and they are nice,only one is weapon rated according to surefire.I've read a lot of posts on here you guys are knowledgeable but everyone has their own opinion on what's best.I don't think there is a best anything its related to what you get for the money and what you like.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
99% of the soldiers/marines in Iraq had the SF M961/M962 weapon-lights on their AR. Take that for what you will. 3 batteries. It's what I have and keep on mine. I like the UX07 tail-cap since is has a push button switch and a tape switch. Carry an M3 combatlight and you have a repair kit with it as well. Oh, Welcome to CPF BTW!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta's are also very stout!

As long as everyone understands that is a MAJOR understatement, we are in agreement. If I had to have only one light, for critical use, it would have to be an Elzetta. Fully potted, and damn near indestructible with normal abuse. (Shooting it with buckshot doesn't qualify as normal.)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
What ranges and scenarios are you intending it to be utilized for?

Some lights for combat scenarios have tight beams with as little spill as possible to avoid side illumination of your position/buddies, etc, where for urban sweeps, etc, a floodier beam that tells you who/what's out there at a glance so you can pop and move w/o needing to sweep a tight beam back and forth like looking through a paper towel tube for a target. (While said target are watching you look for them...)

Due to the optics, a light with a given amount of light output can't reach out as far if that light is more spread out in a floody pattern, than if tightly concentrated, so if you need past a certain range and want a small form factor, you need the tight (Paper towel tube view) beam to REACH the target. If the intended target ranges are within a floody beam's range though, that is often preferable....if spill/side illumination is NOT a problem as much as being shot at while LOOKING FOR a a target is a problem, and so forth.

(Its case specific as to what's going to be "best" - so I say get both types)

:D

So, what's the scenario(s)?

:D

markeday

Newly Enlightened
Surefire lights are good if the fury had the front spring and three illumination levels starting with high that would of been my choice.My shooting scenario is not critical because I'm not a soldier so for home defense and nighttime critter ridder is what my rifle is used for.When I got the olight the first thing I did was change the reflector from orange peel to smooth for throw.If I want spill especially low light the diffuser works great.As far as soldiers I will agree that them using the sure fires at any cost is imperative to their situation.Our soldiers deserve the best equipment made their lives are on the line,I have three in my family.Like I said about the fury if it had the options I needs it would of been my first choice.I have a surefire L72 red laser on my gun and with some people its not popular but I got to tell you I haven't seen many lasers that can compare and I've had a lot of lasers.