2xAA :- Quark Turbo QB2A vs. Javelin Dereelight vs. Eagletac D25A2 Clicky

HtR

Newly Enlightened
As a relatively newly minted flashlight guy, I wanted a 2xAA unit for my edc.

In the end, I acquired the 3 lights in the titled thread, though not without experimentation and re-assessment along the journey.

Selfbuilt has done comprehensive reviews on some of these lights, so I will not repeat what was said. I am also in no position to replicate his testing methodology because I am not a flashlight techie. I am just an operator. What is important to me, beyond all the raw numbers, data, graphs and assorted myraid of lumen ratings, is how the light actually performed for me right there, right then, in the field.

My thoughts on these lights are particular to me. You may have a different opinion and your mileage may vary with your experience.

If you do not want to read all my ramblings and skip straight to the conclusion, my current 2xAA edc and by far my favourite amongst the 3 lights is the Quark QB2A Turbo from FourSevens.

I started this little adventure over a year ago with the Eagletac D25A2 Clicky. At the time, Eagletac was just releasing their D25 Clicky series and I eagerly jumped on the bandwagon to become an early adopter of their D25A2 Clicky w/ the Cree XPG-S2.
This was the only Eagletac light I have owned and operated and my comments pertain to the one light only.

Naturally, I was quite excited to receive the light. It was slim and compact, rides well in my jeans pocket, and if you read their specs it had all the modes and other bells & whistles that you expect. Selfbuilt mentioned this being one of the highest output lights in its class and certainly the beam did not disappoint. On max, it throws out a nice wide, usable beam to a reasonable distance which was more than adequate for my needs.

These early batches apparently had a manufacturing oversight with their tailcaps that prevented a stable tailstanding. I do not know if Eagletac have since rectified the issue but it was not a deal breaker for me and I was happy with the light.

One thing that found somewhat overdone was the inclusion of 13 output steps each in their Moonlight & Low output modes. For my pragmatic requirements, I really cannot see a need for over 13 steps that included several strobe modes of various intensity. I prefer the more logical and well-spaced steps with the Quarks which would be something along the lines of Moonlight, Low Medium, High, Max, SOS, Strobe, Beacon. That is all you really need in my humble opinion. Anything more is just excess baggage.

Lately, my D25A2 have developed a few issues. The belt clip has loosened within its housing. While the clip will not fall out because it is retained in place by the tailcap, it has so much freeplay now that it rattles against light casing and the retention ability against my jean pocket is somewhat compromised. I tried tightening it, but it doesn't seem to work. I might have to get some Loctite to secure it in place. Another problem is switching between Turbo Mode and Low Mode. You do this by tightening the head bezel (Turbo) or looseing it a around quarter turn (Low/Moonlight). Turbo works fine but I am having problems getting the Low/Moonlight mode to engage even after loosening the head. Either it kept bringing up Turbo Mode or it won't even turn on unless I give the light a little back and forth shake. Just bear in mind, the light was never dropped or abused in any manner. There are a few scuff marks on the tailcap anodizing where I inadvertently brushed it against the wall or other obstacles but nothing else.

I also bought a Dereelight Javelin to fool around with a 2xAA thrower using an XR-E-EZ900 in a Smooth reflector. Alan over at Dereelight provided prompt, excellent service and very communicative which is a necessity since their website is somewhat of a nightmare to navigate if you are a flashlight noobie looking to customize your Dereelight :)

The light is well built. Comes with a simple 3-output setting Low-Medium-High and throws out a narrow beam farther than the D25A2 can manage. Also got a bunch of accessories (4xAA tube, DBS head) so I can lego the with Javelin to make an even better thrower.

Throwers are a fun and exotic and this little light is certainly all that but the narrow hotspot was not particularly appealing to me. It was not a big deal inside the house where the adjoining walls tend to reflect the light that bounces off the main beam, but out in the open field, you lose a lot of coverage with that tight narrow hotspot. I'll probably just get an additional XPG drop-in from Dereelight to replace the XR-E-EZ900 and then give it to my wife because she does not like to mess around with multi modes and prefer the simple, uncomplicated 3-output setting of the Javelin.

So, not having found a 2xAA that satisfied my needs, I poked around and finally set my gaze on the units from FourSevens.

After a few inquiries on this forum and some correspondences with FourSevens staffers, I bought a Quark Turbo QB2A. FourSevens replied my questions and took care of my order quickly. The light got to me here in Asia all the way from Atlanta, Georgia in a couple of days.

Now this light interest me for a number of reasons. You choose two outputs which the light memorizes from a choice of several well-spaced steps Moonlight, Low Medium, High, Max, SOS, Strobe, Beacon. This interface is functionally very different from the two previous lights and it seems there are some folks who like it and some who don't. For me, I do not have a problem with it.

Selfbuilt's review mentioned it was one of the better throwing 2xAA currently on the market and while I like a light that throws a little further, I worried about a narrow hotspot that makes it less usable.

I decided to hedge my bets by also acquiring a Quark Tactical QT2A head to lego it the Quark Turbo QB2A body should I prefer a wider beam with more spill.

It was at this point during my correspondences with FourSevens, that I realize that you will only get the newer XP-G2 if you buy the light as a one complete package. If you buy the head as separate accessory, it will come with the prior version of XP-G that FourSevens used and not the newer version 2.

Logically, there is only one way to go for me. I bought the Turbo QB2A as the base package so I have the XP-G2 within to maximize any throw and a Tactical QT2A head with the earlier XP-G (don't know which XP model) when illumination distance is closer and throw is not as important.

That, at least, was the initial plan on how I plan to employ this light and accessories. As it turns out, I was to get a very pleasant surprise with the beam performance from the QB2A.

The QB2A has a smooth reflector and a head housing not dissimilar to the Dereelight Javelin. Not knowing better and being totally illiterate with flashlight technicalities, I was naturally expecting a similar tight narrow beam from the both of them. Imagine my surprise when the QB2A threw out a significantly wider and brighter beam than the Javelin out to similar distances.

I was even more pleasantly surprised when I had the Eagletac side by side and the Quark threw a beam distinctly farther and brighter that is only nominally narrower than the Eagletac's. By "nominally narrower", the difference to me is so insignificant that I see no reason why I would prefer the beam from the Eagletac D25A2 over that from the QB2A. Clearly, for my purposes from a beam usability point of view, the Quark QB2A handily outperforms the other two lights....and here I was initially worrying that the QB2A thrower may not have an adequately wide beam profile. I was wrong. The QB2A has an excellent beam profile that also double as a respectable 2xAA thrower......is that even possible ?? :)

Last edited:

Trevtrain

Enlightened
.....I also bought a Dereelight Javelin to fool around with a 2xAA thrower using an XR-E-EZ900 in a Smooth reflector........

The light is well built. Comes with a simple 3-output setting Low-Medium-High and throws out a narrow beam farther than the D25A2 can manage. Also got a bunch of accessories (4xAA tube, DBS head) so I can lego the with Javelin to make an even better thrower.

Throwers are a fun and exotic and this little light is certainly all that but the narrow hotspot was not particularly appealing to me. It was not a big deal inside the house where the adjoining walls tend to reflect the light that bounces off the main beam, but out in the open field, you lose a lot of coverage with that tight narrow hotspot. I'll probably just get an additional XPG drop-in from Dereelight to replace the XR-E-EZ900 and then give it to my wife because she does not like to mess around with multi modes and prefer the simple, uncomplicated 3-output setting of the Javelin.
:)

Firstly, thanks for a well written and clear review. :wave:

I have bought 4 Javelins for various family members over the past 12 months or so. AA form factor is good for those who are wanting reasonable performance without the extra safety precautions needed to use Li-ions properly.

I've tried the XR-E, XP-G and also the XP-E version.
Perhaps before you get your wife the XP-G, you might want to consider the often overlooked XP-E option. I run mine with a smooth reflector and I can't recommend it highly enough. Alan suggested it to me when I said I found the XP-G with OP reflector combo lacked a little punch. It really seems to throw a bit better than the G but with not quite the same tunnel effect as the E.
For fun, I also bought the "shorty" body to run a 16340 or 14500 Li-ion cell for a very nice little pocket rocket.

I did consider the Quark but I'm one of those people who didn't want to be limited to only 2 modes by the tactical interface. You now almost have me reconsidering my options. At 75 dollars though, it is certainly a premium over the Javelin.

Another worthy 2AA is the Shadow Mini TC6. I got to play with one at a recent meetup here and ended up getting a warm version for myself. The three mode limitation (H L Strobe) doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. The XM-L Emitter puts out a ton of light for general walking around purposes. It is probably what many here might consider a budget light but so far it seems to be very well made, solid and durable. However without a belt clip and because of its size it may not be what you would consider an EDC.

All the best.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review... the Quark Turbo and QAAX NW are my favorites in the thrower and floody EDC category. As a low lumen enthusiast, I find my batts run ridiculously long and so just stick to the 1xAA tubes for the pocketable size. I use different battery chemistries to dial in the desired performance - from full (R)CR123 equivalency to SHTF household scavenging options... CLICKY.
Two things I really like about the D25 series UI is the 0.5 sec reset (long press always takes you back to low) and the 2 low frequency blinky modes which just say "caution" instead of "EMERGENCY!!!"

HtR

Newly Enlightened
Firstly, thanks for a well written and clear review.

I've tried the XR-E, XP-G and also the XP-E version.
Perhaps before you get your wife the XP-G, you might want to consider the often overlooked XP-E option. I run mine with a smooth reflector and I can't recommend it highly enough. Alan suggested it to me when I said I found the XP-G with OP reflector combo lacked a little punch. It really seems to throw a bit better than the G but with not quite the same tunnel effect as the E.
For fun, I also bought the "shorty" body to run a 16340 or 14500 Li-ion cell for a very nice little pocket rocket.

I did consider the Quark but I'm one of those people who didn't want to be limited to only 2 modes by the tactical interface. You now almost have me reconsidering my options. At 75 dollars though, it is certainly a premium over the Javelin.

All the best.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will reconsider going with the XP-E instead of the XP-G for the Javelin. As far as OP reflector, it is no longer an available option for the Javelin the last I spoke to Alan. You can only get the Smooth reflector now.

I did toy with the idea of getting the shorty 14500 Li configuration but decided to just stick with AA Eneloops. As it is, max output with 2xAA Eneloops is more than sufficient for my needs.

I think the Quark Turbo's programmable 2-Output tactical interface probably turn away some potential customers. Many folks are understandably more receptive to an interface similar to the regular Quarks.

Personally, I do not find it restrictive or annoying because in practice I only ever get to use 2 settings for the vast majority of applications, three at the most.

Currently I have Max Output programmed for Head fully tightened and Low Output for Head Loossened. The rationale being if I needed to throw out a lot of light urgently, there's no point messing around with Med or High. Just hit the afterburners and go to Max. Moonlight is a little too dim and specialized. Low output is nice for most low profile general task. Bright enough to see your way but not so bright that it obliterate your night adjusted vision. Of course if I needed the other output steps, the Quark Turbo is pretty straightforward to program.

Amongst the 3 lights mentioned, the Quark is the only one that properly incorporate momentary on-off activation. You try doing that with the Javelin and you will end up cycling through different outputs. The Eagletac, being a backward clicky has no momentary activation.

The head dimensions and body width is quite a bit larger and stubbier than the rather slim Eagletac D25A2 but still rides very comfortably tucked into my front jeans pocket, along with my wallet and peanut lighter from Ti Survival ......I don't even notice it in my pocket and I'm not even a big guy. All in all, no complaints. This one light made me rather impressed with FourSevens.

HtR

Newly Enlightened
Nice review... the Quark Turbo and QAAX NW are my favorites in the thrower and floody EDC category. As a low lumen enthusiast, I find my batts run ridiculously long and so just stick to the 1xAA tubes for the pocketable size. I use different battery chemistries to dial in the desired performance - from full (R)CR123 equivalency to SHTF household scavenging options... CLICKY.
Two things I really like about the D25 series UI is the 0.5 sec reset (long press always takes you back to low) and the 2 low frequency blinky modes which just say "caution" instead of "EMERGENCY!!!"

That's quite a collection of flashlight you have there.

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. I was looking at the quark qb2a and the dereelight javelin for a while deciding which thrower to buy. I ended up buying the javelin over the qb2a because of it only having two modes. One more mode and i would be sold... The javelin is a great light and has really come to life now that i swapped a xp-e2 led into it! Better throw, color and less ringy as the xr-e that it had.

HtR

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. I was looking at the quark qb2a and the dereelight javelin for a while deciding which thrower to buy. I ended up buying the javelin over the qb2a because of it only having two modes. One more mode and i would be sold... The javelin is a great light and has really come to life now that i swapped a xp-e2 led into it! Better throw, color and less ringy as the xr-e that it had.

I think another way of looking at it is the Javelin comes with 3 levels of output (low - Med - Hi) and nothing else, whereas the the Quark Turbo QB2A allows 2 programmable output at any one time from a choice of Moonlight-Low-Med-Hi-Max-SOS-Strobe-Beacon. They both bring different things to the table, although I will definitely agree with you that the QB2A will be a whole lot more versatile if 3 output levels were available on tap vs the current 2.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the XP-E for the Javelin. That's the second recommendation for the XP-E in this thread after reppans said the same thing. I'll definitely need to get on the horn to Alan to get this emitter for my Javelin. Will be interesting to see how the beam stack up side by side with the QB2A.

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
I agree they both bring something different to the table. This thread almost makes me want to buy the quark and give it a go. Make note that the led i put in my Javelin is the XP-E2... the update version of the XP-E!

HtR

Newly Enlightened
I agree they both bring something different to the table. This thread almost makes me want to buy the quark and give it a go. Make note that the led i put in my Javelin is the XP-E2... the update version of the XP-E!

Is Deerelight offering an option for the XP-E2, or did you get this emitter from somewhere else ?

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the led from a website called cutter. At this time dereelight doesn't offer the XP-E2. I do know a forum member offers a p-60 drop in for the javelin with the new XP-E2 and XP-G2 over in the market place.

HtR

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the led from a website called cutter. At this time dereelight doesn't offer the XP-E2. I do know a forum member offers a p-60 drop in for the javelin with the new XP-E2 and XP-G2 over in the market place.

Ok. I don't suppose you are referring to 'nailbender' as the individual selling those P60 drop-ins. I just had a look at his thread and now I am having a complete rethink of the Javelin. Since I have a bunch of lego accessories for it including an extended battery compartment that can take more than 2xAA, perhaps I can really start to optimize it as a baton light with excellent beam performance.

Trevtrain

Enlightened

Hi T-roc87

I have looked at the cutter website but couldn't seem to find the XP-E2 on a 14mm board. Am I missing something or did you need to do the reflow yourself? My brother's XR-E Javelin has died and Alan is sending me a replacement driver so I am considering replacing the emitter at the same time.

I assume you used the existing XR-E driver when you upgraded yours?

Thanks

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
HtR

Nailbender might be worth looking into otherwise i was thought vihnguyen54 has some xp-e2 drop-ins.

Hi T-roc87

I have looked at the cutter website but couldn't seem to find the XP-E2 on a 14mm board. Am I missing something or did you need to do the reflow yourself? My brother's XR-E Javelin has died and Alan is sending me a replacement driver so I am considering replacing the emitter at the same time.

I assume you used the existing XR-E driver when you upgraded yours?

Thanks

Hello

I actually ordered the xp-e2 on the 10mm board. This was my first swap and i did not feel confident enough to try reflowing yet. So far i have not had any issues using the the 10mm board. It is a bit thicker than the stock 14 mm board but i had no issues with adjusting the reflector even though it is a bit tight. It actually has a better beam profile than it did with the xr-e. I am still using the xr-e driver as well.

Trevtrain

Enlightened
Hello

I actually ordered the xp-e2 on the 10mm board. This was my first swap and i did not feel confident enough to try reflowing yet. So far i have not had any issues using the the 10mm board. It is a bit thicker than the stock 14 mm board but i had no issues with adjusting the reflector even though it is a bit tight. It actually has a better beam profile than it did with the xr-e. I am still using the xr-e driver as well.

OK, good to know.
I have the stock XP-E from Dereelight in mine and am really happy with it. I might have to spend a little more time at Cutter though, as the delivery fee makes buying a single emitter a bit silly.

Cheers

Kevin Doe

Newly Enlightened
I have an older FourSevens Quark Turbo AA^2 flashlight with the XP-G R2 emitter in it. I have been very happy with the light output, but the reliability leaves a bit to be desired, at least on my particular light. After a 1' drop (by my 2 year old) it stopped working. I sent it back and FourSevens replaced the head. Then shortly after the switch on the back stopped functioning properly as well. If memory serves correctly, I do recall FourSevens also took care of the light. Then about a year or so later, it started having issues flickering. If I'd tap on the head of it, it would start working again properly. That continued for a while and now it is pretty much a brick. I could potentially send it back in, but I have not had the motivation to send it back. Its just been such a hassle. That's my one experience with FourSevens. They stood behind their products, but I question the reliability.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shame to hear your troubles - have you cleaned and lubed all the threads and contact point between the tube, head and tail (deoxit electrical cleaner)? Is the retaining ring that holds the clip in place tight (it can prevent clicky from making contact)? Is the clicky retaining disc tight (silver disk around the spring, w/ 2 indentations)? Have you tried using a paper clip between the neg. batt. terminal and tube edge (by-passes the clicky to zero the problem in the head or tailcap)?

Good luck...

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the QB2A as well, and especially like to lego the head onto a single AA body running on a 14500 Li-ion battery. I was curious of runtimes using different batteries and got the following results:

- First test using an AW 14500 750mah I got 43 min on max then 15 more min on med before the light blinked out. I recharged the battery and ran it on High (85 lumens) & got 2:40 on that run...nice.

- Next test I used 2 eneloops 2000mah and got 1:05 on max. On another fresh pair of eneloops I then got 5:05 on high (85 lumens.)

- Next test I used 2 energizer alkaline AA's and only got 32 min on max, but it stepped down to medium & ran for an additional 7:15!! I find that alkaline batteries always run well on medium & low output settings on my lights, but never perform well on the higher output settings.

- Next test I sacrificed 2 energizer lithium primary batteries and got 1:44 on max....sorry I was not willing to sacrifice another pair for additional testing.

- Next test I used an AW 17670 1600mah Li-ion rechargeable battery and got 1:41 on max. I did this test using a 123x2 quark tube.

- Next test I used my old 18650 quark tube (no longer sold by foursevens...sorry.) I used an AW 18650 2900mah Li-ion rechargeable battery and got 2:32 on max.

- Next test I used the same 18650 tube and used a Zebralight 18650 3100mah and got 2:56 on max.

I have a couple of Keeppower 18650 3400mah cells on order, and may run the same test using one of those.

I really like the small lightweight size of this little thrower, and have even toted it on back packing trips. I like the throw capabilities of some of my other lights better, but because the QB2A is small & lightweight compared to most, it fits a role that none of my other throwers can fit. If I'm car camping or walking around my property at night then I will most likely use my Olight M21X or my EagleTac M3C4 for some big throw. But, if I'm backpacking & need a lightweight thrower, I carry the QB2A over all others.

Overall my favorite use of my lights is to have a somewhat floody headlight on my head or around my neck (my favorites are the zebralight H600 or H51f,) and a throwy handheld to see ahead better. So, to me (whether I'm walking my property with my dogs or hiking/camping) throwy lights are almost as important as my headlight.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the QB2A as well, and especially like to lego the head onto a single AA body running on a 14500 Li-ion battery. I was curious of runtimes using different batteries and got the following results:

- First text using an AW 14500 750mah I got 43 min on max then 15 more min on med before the light blinked out. I recharged the battery and ran it on High (85 lumens) & got 2:40 on that run...nice.

- Next test I used 2 eneloops 2000mah and got 1:05 on max. On another fresh pair of eneloops I then got 5:05 on high (85 lumens.)

- Next test I used 2 energizer alkaline AA's and only got 32 min on max, but it stepped down to medium & ran for an additional 7:15!! I find that alkaline batteries always run well on medium & low output settings on my lights, but never perform well on the higher output settings.

- Next test I sacrificed 2 energizer lithium primary batteries and got 1:44 on max....sorry I was not willing to sacrifice another pair for additional testing.

- Next test I used an AW 17670 1600mah Li-ion rechargeable battery and got 1:41 on max. I did this test using a 123x2 quark tube.

- Next test I used my old 18650 quark tube (no longer sold by foursevens...sorry.) I used an AW 18650 2900mah Li-ion rechargeable battery and got 2:32 on max.

- Next test I used the same 18650 tube and used a Zebralight 18650 3100mah and got 2:56 on max.

I have a couple of Keeppower 18650 3400mah cells on order, and may run the same test using one of those.

I really like the small lightweight size of this little thrower, and have even toted it on back packing trips. I like the throw capabilities of some of my other lights better, but because the QB2A is small & lightweight compared to most, it fits a role that none of my other throwers can fit. If I'm car camping or walking around my property at night then I will most likely use my Olight M21X or my EagleTac M3C4 for some big throw. But, if I'm backpacking & need a lightweight thrower, I carry the QB2A over all others.

Overall my favorite use of my lights is to have a somewhat floody headlight on my head or around my neck (my favorites are the zebralight H600 or H51f,) and a throwy handheld to see ahead better. So, to me (whether I'm walking my property with my dogs or hiking/camping) throwy lights are almost as important as my headlight.

Awesome set of runtime test Outdoorsman! Nothing like independent real world user tests. It would be great if you could immortalize your efforts in this sticky though:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...ght-Run-Time-Testimonials-real-world-testing!

Just post in the thread and PM the OP to let him to update the chart. The two tests that were there already there, match closely with your results

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome set of runtime test Outdoorsman! Nothing like independent real world user tests. It would be great if you could immortalize your efforts in this sticky though:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...ght-Run-Time-Testimonials-real-world-testing!

Just post in the thread and PM the OP to let him to update the chart. The two tests that were there already there, match closely with your results

Done! I haven't looked at that thread in a long time, and had forgotten about it. Thanks for the headsup.

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
I think another way of looking at it is the Javelin comes with 3 levels of output (low - Med - Hi) and nothing else, whereas the the Quark Turbo QB2A allows 2 programmable output at any one time from a choice of Moonlight-Low-Med-Hi-Max-SOS-Strobe-Beacon. They both bring different things to the table, although I will definitely agree with you that the QB2A will be a whole lot more versatile if 3 output levels were available on tap vs the current 2.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the XP-E for the Javelin. That's the second recommendation for the XP-E in this thread after reppans said the same thing. I'll definitely need to get on the horn to Alan to get this emitter for my Javelin. Will be interesting to see how the beam stack up side by side with the QB2A.
The main selling point of the javelin is not its antiquated "only" 3-mode factory LE and no longer top of the line XR-E, its the fact that its a P60 host, you can "drop in" any LE you want. Mine didnt come with a 2x extension (to make it 4AA/4.4-6v) but I can still run it on 2x14500 for higher voltage and use any "standard" (designed for the typical 2xCR123 config) drop ins.

I ordered my empty "host only" javelin about 2 days after I learned about it, up to that point I figured if I wanted a 2xAA P60 my only choice was a 3 cell light (9P/G3) with a sleeve. It's not my best thrower (even out of only 2xAA lights) nor is it the brightest or longest running, it is one of my favorites tho and I couldn't be happier. I love the form factor and tho I've read some differing opinions on the factory clip it works great for my needs. Anyone who is into P60's needs one, and like I mentioned there's no need to find a low voltage drop in if you run it on 14500's (or if you get the 4xAA body extender you can run standard drop ins on NiMH's)