Reflector cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:duh2:Got a Malkoff M61WLL with a smudge or two. Is this even worth attempting? :eek:

nbp

Flashaholic
I rarely see anyone post about an attempt at reflector cleaning that goes well. :duck:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of vinhnguyen's youtube video had a segment on cleaning reflectors. He used his tongue. It was demonstrated in the vid. Usually it is recommended not to touch the reflector.

Last edited:

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had moderate success cleaning dust from reflectors with one of those cheap lens cleaning tools for camera parts. They look like two-sided pens with a soft brush on one side and a small micro-fiber tip on the other.

Obviously, while they are handy for removing dust, I don't know how that would fare with an actual smudge which I suspect would require more pressure on the surface to clean off.

jaycyu

Enlightened
I had a partial finger print on my reflector, and I attempted to clean with lens liquid and micro-fiber cloth. It made it worse.
I should have left it alone. The one and only smooth reflector focused my XML's perfectly too. :mecry:
A few days ago, I ordered an reflector + pill from Fasttech.com. I'll see how that fares.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Same here just leave it alone it's one of those things that does more harm than good. If its a Nailbender or vinh drop-in (drop-in that the reflector can screw off) and you are losing sleep over it, email Nailbender or Vinh and tell them to send you another reflector for a couple bucks. I tried the french kissing technique and it was OK for sure do not use any paper (cotton) product it will scratch the reflector.

BudK

Newly Enlightened
I have had success with lens cleaner solution & the pc blower spray. I just soak it down real good & let it attack the smudge for 10 min. or so & give it a good spray to dry it off . Repeat as necessary. Make sure no liquid from the pc spray touches it .
Definitely remove the reflector from the flashlight first .

HurtzDoughnut

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if taking the reflector to the local jewelry store to take the smudge out would work? I've had the wife's rings cleaned, and they use some sort of "steam blast" apparatus to take the gunk out of jewelry. I would only take the reflector though.
In the "olden days" electronic, and computer chip manufacturers used FREON to clean the chip sets spotless. (darned EPA anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.