Powerizer Charger And K2 LFP 123 Batteries.

nightspark

Newly Enlightened
So I brought a pair of K2 123a batteries and a Powerizer charger. I then found out that the charger (I brought it from zbattery) is only for Powerizer batteries. I doubt it's true, but I want to make sure. I do know that the Powerizer batteries are 450mAh and the K2s are 600mAh. Will I do any damage to the charger or batteries. Also what's a good charger for LFP 123 batteries. I would like to get the Xtar VP1, but it doesn't charge LFP 123s.

Charger Specs:

Input: 100-240V, 50/60Hz
Output: DC 3.8V
Charging Current: 480mA (single battery), 240mA (dual)

Last edited:

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
It says they are "only" for their batteries, however both are LiFePo4 batteries, so I don't anticipate a problem, although I can't vouch for the quality of the charger, as I have no experience with it.

nightspark

Newly Enlightened
I topped them off last night and didn't run into any problems. So I think "only for Powerizer batteries" may be only for marketing. The only thing that catches my attention is that the specs s that the output is 3.8 volts. Will that be a problem for the K2 batteries?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will slightly overcharge lithium-phosphate batteries, which should come off the charger at 3.65V. If you have a multimeter, check the voltage of fully charged batteries.

nightspark

Newly Enlightened
It will slightly overcharge lithium-phosphate batteries, which should come off the charger at 3.65V. If you have a multimeter, check the voltage of fully charged batteries.
Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter, so I can't check the voltage. I will take your word for it, however. Will I be doing any major damage to my Mag Tac or the batteries? If so, what charger would you recommend?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may reduce the batteries' useful life, but it's also possible that the charger's output voltage will drop under load (it could even be a typo), but using that charger shouldn't be too big of an issue.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
3.8v is no big deal IMO for LiFePo4 IMO. May reduce cycle life a bit. Even identically overcharging LiFePo4 cells to 4.2v doesn't kill them, its just not good to do that too many times. It is highly recommended to own a multimeter when using any Li-ion based cells. You can pick a cheap on up for as little as $2-3 if you have a harbor freight nearby. I've had a lot of cheap LiFePo4 cells die on me randomly only after a few cycles or even sitting on my shelf for 6 months or a year. If you were to put a near dead cell with a good cell in a light, bad things could happen. So get a meter.