Blade length: 3"
Blade steel: CPM S30V
Length closed: 4 3/16"
Cutting edge: 2 5/8"
Weight: 3.2oz
Hole diameter: 1/2"
Blade thickness: 1/8"
Handle material: Carbon Fiber

Today I am reviewing the Spyderco Sage 1. There are four models of the Sage series. The Sage 1 was built in recognition of knifemaker Michael Walker's contribution to the knife industry with his creation of the LinerLock and ball bearing detent method of locking open a folding knife. The Sage 1 is nothing short of an awesome EDC knife!

The classic leaf shape full flat ground blade on the Spyderco Sage 1 is constructed out of a high quality S30V stainless steel. When it comes to production knives, S30V is about as good as it gets. It's a hard steel so it will retain it's razor edge for much longer than a lesser quality steel. It is very resistant to rust and corrosion as well.

The blade measures 3" and is 1/8" thick. This knife is a great slicer. Whether you are tasked with cutting rope, boxes, steaks, or kindling, this knife will meet and exceed your expectations. One thing I really like is the thumb ramp and the finger choil jimping. Both of these allow you to choke up on the blade to make precision cuts.

Moving back to the handle on this Spyderco Sage 1. The handle is constructed out of a twill-woven carbon fiber that you can actually feel. Before buying this knife I was skeptical if it would have a glossy non-textured carbon fiber scales like some other knives have. That's not the case here. In the hand this knife feels very high quality and elegant.

Holding the knife together and giving it structural strength are milled out stainless steel full liners with stand off pillars. Being a open pillar design makes it a breeze cleaning after a fresh thrashing.

After EDC this knife for two weeks the lock up is still solid as a rock with absolutely no movement. Opening the knife is super smooth and fast and when the linerlock engages you hear a nice click sound. And after thrashing on the knife two weeks the blade center is perfect.

The deep carry wire pocket clip. Spyderco hit this one right out of the park. The tension is perfect and sits nicely in the pocket without any movement. And as you can see in the pictures above, it sits nice and low in the pocket with very little exposed. The clip can be adjusted for left or right tip up carry only. Deep carry pocket clips are a big selling point for me so this was a no brainier when I came across the Sage. It was definitely worth trying out and I love carrying it!

My final conclusion on the Spyderco Sage 1: When you pick up the Sage, you can feel the quality dripping off of it. Everything about the knife is nice!! It's locks up tight, the blade is razor sharp and the carbon fiber is finished nicely. If you are looking for an EDC knife, this knife is perfect. Between the S30V blade, Carbon fiber handle and it's ease of carry you can't go wrong at this price point.

For other reviews on knives and gear check out my WEBSITE.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might have been the first knife that Spyderco arranged to have manufactured in Taichung, Taipei (Taiwan). There were some initial concerns from some that it would not be as well made as their knives made in either Golden, Colorado or Seki City, Japan, but that proved not be the case at all. The fit and finish on this knife is outstanding, and there are those now who think that these Chinese-manufactured Spydercos may, in fact, be the most finely-manufactured Spydies currently out there.