Quark Pro QPA - Why such run time even with lower max output?

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Was looking at the foursevens Quark Pro QPA here, 1x AA.
https://www.foursevens.com/products/QPA-AE

Shows it's XP-G2 with 109 Max lumens @ 1 hour run time.

The only thing I have to compare it to that I would consider close is my Fenix LD12 XP-G2 and it's 125 Max lumens @ 2 hours and 20 minute run time.

I'm wondering why such a difference? With both flashlights using 1x AA and the XP-G2 I would expect the foursevens with a 109 Max lumens to have a longer run time then my Fenix LD12 or at least close to the same run time, but IMHO it's a lot less run time on Max lumens.

I would really like to try the foursevens, but why don't they get as much run time as other companies out of their XP-G2's?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you checked selfbuilt's Quark XP-G2 review?
Foursevens runtimes are ALWAYS measured with Alkalines. Foursevens underpromises and overdelivers with regard to runtimes and ANSI lumens specs ;)

I don't know about Fenix. They might use Eneloop XX for their runtime measurements.

Fenix or Quark, both are top quality lights regarding battery efficiency and brightness stabilization.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Never thought about the run times with different batteries. Really with AA batteries run time is not all the critical for me.
Even max Lumens of 109 vs 125 is not a big deal as I have found anything around 100 lumens is fine for me. I'm interested in the textured reflector and the moonlight mode that the four sevens has to offer.

Anyway after reading your reply I placed a order for the Quark Pro QPA XP-G2.

Have you checked selfbuilt's Quark XP-G2 review?

This one or is there another one?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-RCR)-amp-QB2A-(2xAA)-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-MORE!

Thanks!

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Wow, just got a update email from four sevens literally six minutes after I placed my order that it's been shipped today!
I even went with the free shipping option, very impressive. I really did not expect it to be shipped today.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that's the review!

Congrats to the purchase.
If you're unhappy with the delivered unit (Eneloop runtimes, tint, ..), you can always contact the shipper and ask for suggestions. So you're on the safe side anyway!!

:)

mmace1

Enlightened
Wow, just got a update email from four sevens literally six minutes after I placed my order that it's been shipped today!
I even went with the free shipping option, very impressive. I really did not expect it to be shipped today.

That's their style - incredibly fast on sending out orders. On that same note -

I live overseas and...it's really odd, but Foursevens is easily the fastest shipper to me out of any other company I've used. If I order something I can expect it about a week later. Aside from how fast they process an order, I'd guess their order fulfillment is located near a national distribution center...because really - things from anyone else (including my own family!) take 10 days after mailing.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Good to hear about their fast shipping.

Can anyone tell me if the foursevens I ordered has any parasitic battery drain?

jcw122

Enlightened
No p drain.

I always thought 47s measured with NiHMs? How do you know it's alkalines?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Good to hear no P drain. My tracking number shows I should have it Friday, darn good for free shipping!
Thought about paying the extra for priority mail, but I probably would have only got it one day sooner anyway.

Really looking forward to get it. Looks like it's very close in size to my current favorite EDC Fenix LD12 G2.
Just love that size of 1x AA flashlight with a clickie tail cap switch. Only thing missing on my Fenix LD12 is a moonlight mode.

Had been using my photon freedom for really low output, but after it quite working on me this last weekend well out of town I decided to look for a new 1x AA with a lower power output then my LD12.

Thinking this Quark Pro QPA will fit the niche nicely.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
David, the owner, has mentioned here that runtimes are spec'd with the included alkaline batteries - which makes sense. I think you'll find the Quark just as bright as the Fenix. In addition to moonlight, the other advantages to the Quark's are its broad voltage capability (try 14500 lithium ions, or 3V CRAA lithium primaries for twice the max output and full [R]CR123 equivalency), Lego-ability (use an optional 2xAA or 1xCR123 body) and long warranty/good US-based customer service. However, I think Fenix has a nicer build quality and might be a little more efficient due to its narrower voltage-tuned driver. If you're interested in seeing real world runtime tests, try THIS thread.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
No p drain.

I always thought 47s measured with NiHMs? How do you know it's alkalines?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Interestingly, the ANSI FL1 standard states that the flashlight's runtime must be tested with the included batteries. I'm not sure why some companies seem to be dodging that requirement.

Edit: See below for a correction.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Interestingly, the ANSI FL1 standard states that the flashlight's runtime must be tested with the included batteries. I'm not sure why some companies seem to be dodging that requirement.
Just to clarify, it is true that the ANSI FL-1 standard requires that the batteries used for reported run time measures must be the same type as those offered for sale with the product. But when the light is sold without batteries, the standard states that it is up to the manufacture to specify what type they are recommending, and then to report runtimes with that type.

So, since Foursevens currently includes Duracell alkalines with their AA lights, they are limited to reporting on alkaline. Since most other makers don't include batteries, they can use what they want, as long as they list it (e.g., Nitecore usually specifies 2400mAh 1.2V on their products).

In terms of the OP question, in my experience Fenix and Foursevens both have excellent current-controlled circuitry. Fenix ANSI FL-1 output, beam and runtime measures tend to be very accurate for typical performance, whereas Foursevens is often somewhat conservative (i.e., more a minimum spec, as opposed to an average one). In cases where output is actually comparable, I would expect runtimes to be as well, on comparable batteries.

Last edited:

Swede74

Enlightened
So, since Foursevens currently includes Duracell alkalines with their AA lights, they are limited to reporting on alkaline.

That's a rather stringent regulation, in my opinion. It seems reasonable that manufacturers are required to report performance on the included batteries, but I can see no harm in providing additional information for other chemistries, if presented in a way that is readable and unlikely to cause confusion or unrealistic expectations.

Photon

Newly Enlightened
Really looking forward to get it. Looks like it's very close in size to my current favorite EDC Fenix LD12 G2.
Just love that size of 1x AA flashlight with a clickie tail cap switch. Only thing missing on my Fenix LD12 is a moonlight mode.
[...]
Thinking this Quark Pro QPA will fit the niche nicely.

I have a Quark Pro QPA and I love it.

Note however, on the lowest mode the tint of the light is discernibly greenish. Not too bad, but it bugs some people. It can't be helped; it is due to such low current driving the LED. On the plus side, you get exceptionally long run times, and even with the tint you can still readily differentiate colors.

If you, like many others, have an appreciation for low mode when your eyes are dark adapted, then you will love this light.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
That's a rather stringent regulation, in my opinion. It seems reasonable that manufacturers are required to report performance on the included batteries, but I can see no harm in providing additional information for other chemistries, if presented in a way that is readable and unlikely to cause confusion or unrealistic expectations.
Agreed, I suspect the point was that if you going to provide a single metric, it has to be consistent with what's actually bundled.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new 4Sevens site seems to round the runtimes too coarsely. The runtime is longer than 1 hour.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even with the XP-G2?

All white LEDs shift tint with current and temperature. Depending on the individual LED in a given tint bin and the tint bin, Crees will look varyingly green or blue-purple. PWM dimming does not have as much tint shift as constant-current dimming. I find that my neutral-white Quark has no tint problems at low levels.