First impression of the new PT series

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I just purchased the updated version of the Streamlight PT1L at a local brick and mortar store. After a day spending time with the new light and comparing it to the older version I decided to share my findings.

The new L1

From the image above one can see that all the new lights in the PT series now has the 10 tap programmable UI.

Over all impressions are:

The new PT1L is slightly longer than its predecessor. The tail cap is just slightly longer than the old one and it seems that the reason is due to Streamlight using a different switch.

Here are the tail caps below. The white one on the left is the new and the black one on the right is the older original version. The spring on the new switch looks silver for some reason.

As one can see from the photo below the newer white switch is slightly longer with its extra protrusion.

The new switch seems a little softer and the Streamlight logo on the cap is a little less defined. I am thinking they might be cutting costs. I don't know if the light is IPX4 or 7 but do know that the older tail cap fits tighter than the newer one.

The LED surprising looks to be a XP-G2. At first I thought it was a XP-E2 but to me looks to be the former. I will let better eyes make the determination.

Unfortunately the new 10 tap PT L1 has the same very low PWM as the PT HL which is very annoying.
The tint on the light is pretty much white with no tint of green. Being that its not a XR-E it is naturally more floody.

New on the left old on the right.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: Thanks for posting your comments.

Did you disable the strobe mode using the new Ten-Tap feature? Is the Ten-Tap programming easy to use?

Does your new 1L throw light any farther than your old 1L?

I hope that Streamlight will incorporate Ten-Tap into their ProTac 2AAA penlight.

Erik1213

Enlightened
Finally! I always liked the PT series lights from Streamlight. They were cheap and moderately powerful but most of all well built with a lifetime warranty. I just hated that they came with the most horrible tints available for XR-E LEDs.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
:thanks: Thanks for posting your comments.

Did you disable the strobe mode using the new Ten-Tap feature? Is the Ten-Tap programming easy to use?

Does your new 1L throw light any farther than your old 1L?

I hope that Streamlight will incorporate Ten-Tap into their ProTac 2AAA penlight.

I set it so it comes on low - high. It is easy to change. Just press the cap 10 times and hold it on the 10th time and it changes.

As for the throw over all its a little better even though it is floodier.