Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went to my local Wal-Mart and they had lots of Dorcy 1AAA's in stock, in all the colors.

Because I was pleased with the first I bought - please see this thread:
Dorcy 1AAA vs. ArcAAA vs. Ultra-G

I bought another one for the same $5.94 - this time in "gold".

I had a number to select from - although obviously I could not open the bubble packs, install the batteries and switch the lights on to see the beams. I kind of did the next best thing - by simply looking at the head/LED/reflector to see if I could see any difference in centering, reflectivity etc. There was one head that just seemed brighter...........

Perhaps sheer luck - but I ended up with one that I am very, very pleased with - the beam seems to be much better centered and more even - which gives the impression of being smoother, brighter.....

Enough of my "gushing" - I'll let the images speak for themselves:

Sizes/colors -
Dorcy2_Arc_Ultra_S.jpg

l to r: ArcAAA, Dorcy 1AAA #2, Dorcy 1AAA #1, Ultra-G

Heads -
Dorcy2_Arc_Ultra_heads_S.jpg

top down - Ultra-G, Dorcy #1, #2, ArcAAA

Beam Shots -
Dorcy 1AAA #2 vs Ultra-G
BeamDorcy2_UltraG.jpg

Dorcy 1AAA #2 vs. ArcAAA
BeamDorcy2_ArcAAA.jpg

Dorcy 1AAA #2 vs. #1
BeamDorcy1_2.jpg

All beam shots - lights about 9" away from standard letter sized white paper (+ mark is just for digicam to focus on). Digicam set to Daylight White Balance, auto exposure.

I am so pleased with the Dorcy 1AAA #2 (gold) that I am currently EDC'ing it in place of my favorite Ultra-G.

[edit: 2/19/2004 - changed photo hosting since imagestation is no longer hotlinking photos reliably]

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Re: Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #

Wow. The beamshot with Dorcy vs Ultra-G is very telling. I like the Ultra-G's design but wouldn't be able to justify the cost if the Dorcy runs so much brighter.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I also attempted to judge the centering of the LEDs in the two Dorcys I bought. There did seem to be a visible difference between some of them. Nice pics, UnknownVT.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Mark_Larson said:
Wow. The beamshot with Dorcy vs Ultra-G is very telling. I like the Ultra-G's design but wouldn't be able to justify the cost if the Dorcy runs so much brighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the Ultra-G - the overall circle of light/side-spill is very even - whereas the Dorcy 1AAA is kind of patchy in comparison.

Don't get me wrong - the Dorcy is still very practical - its overall circle of light is about the same size as the Ultra-G whereas the ArcAAA is only about 2/3 their size - this means both the Ultra-G and the Dorcy seem to light up a normal sized room well - in comparison the ArcAAA is kind of like looking down a tunnel.

The most telling use is illuminating some regular stairs - standing at the top and shining the light centered at the bottom step (10 steps) both the Ultra-G and the Dorcy 1AAA will illuminate both side walls (41" wide) from just over arm's length in front, and the top step - this in effect means the whole stair well is illuminated - very impressive for a pocket light running on a single battery - in this "test" the Ultra-G despite being less bright seems to illuminate better in terms of eveness.

So although my enthusiasm/infatuation with the Dorcy 1AAA #2 replaces the Ultra-G as my EDC - the jury's still out - I may revert back or rotate.

The Dorcy does have the distinct advantage of its momentary ON tail switch.....(and it is considerably cheaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Flying Turtle said:
I also attempted to judge the centering of the LEDs in the two Dorcys I bought. There did seem to be a visible difference between some of them. Nice pics, UnknownVT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah... cool - I'm not the only one who's crazy then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the kind words on the photos - the beam shots were with a Digicam - the Canon Powershot A70 -

BUT the images of the lights and heads were actually via a modest (read cheap) flatbed scanner (if you look carefully at the ArcAAA and the two Dorcys you can see the tape on the keyrings to stop these bad boys from rolling on the clean polished glass plate of the scanner.

I would very much encourage people to use their flatbed scanners to take "photos" of small objects - please take a look at this post:
some general flatbed Scanner advice

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Is there any diference between the Dorcy #1 and the Dorcy #2? or is the numbering just your way of sorting the two lights?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Dorcy is a great value. On a business trip I bought one for myself and the applications engineer traveling with me. Later on a site survey I used my Arc AAA and my customers were very impressed with the LED light. Next time I visited them, I brought them 2 new Dorcys. What can I say, giving away Arcs is just to expensive. They were quite happy to the the Dorcy.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
Is there any diference between the Dorcy #1 and the Dorcy #2? or is the numbering just your way of sorting the two lights?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just my numbering to distinguish between the first (blue) and second (gold) purchase.

Although by inpection and comparison on the head/LED/reflectors I managed (probably by luck) to get #2 (gold) to have a very nicely centered beam vs. the off-centered one of #1 (blue).

It probably doesn't make much difference in practical use - but it's just more pleasing to get a "good 'un"

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I may sound like a shill for the Dorcy folks but the more I look at this Dorcy, the more I like it. With the possible exception of that Countycomm 20 for $20 Photon clone deal, I think that this is the best inexpensive LED flashlight deal around. It is a great mod platform as well as a source of cheap stepup converter boards.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
the more I look at this Dorcy, the more I like it. With the possible exception of that Countycomm 20 for $20 Photon clone deal, I think that this is the best inexpensive LED flashlight deal around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I of course am going to agree with you - since the Dorcy 1AAA and the 20 for $20 are my most recent purchases /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

However if one looks at things from a consumer non-flashaholic perspective -
there shouldn't be much reason why a small LED flashlight should cost (much) more than a commodity incandescent light - especially when one can buy what the lay-person considers "quality" in the Mini-Mag at about $8 or the Solitaire at about $5.

So the Dorcy 1AAA at $5.94 is a bargain for now -
but it is actually priced realistically in relation to rest of the flashlight world.

Flashster

Newly Enlightened

UnknownVT,
I always feel a little bit uncomfortable when big price gaps between comparable items occure. The dorcy looks bright on the photo but how long is the runtime and how durable (proofness) is it?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Flashster said:
I always feel a little bit uncomfortable when big price gaps between comparable items occure. The dorcy looks bright on the photo but how long is the runtime and how durable (proofness) is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, the typical $2 plastic 2D flashlight will work and work well since there's so little to it and as far as lighting is concerned it probably can match a 2D MagLite - which for the regular consumer is "quality" of sorts.

Of course if you run over the lights with a truck - the MagLite will survive, and the $2 flashlight is history - however most of us don't have the good fortune to be run over regularly by a truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So with that in mind - I would be the first to point out that both the ArcAAA and Ultra-G are better built than the Dorcy -
but then again the Dorcy is not built like a $2 plastic flashlight either -
it is alumium bodied and seems to be well designed - hence the popularity around here - it's certainly not sub-standard - otherwise this forum would have shown it up by now.

There was one case of someone dropping the light on concrete(?) and the reflector chipped - so that's the sort of durabilty to expect - I've dropped my 2 numerous times - but without any damage. I would hazard that the Dorcy is in the ballpark of a typical small MagLite.

Light performance - the beamshots speak for themselves - the Dorcy can be off-centered as my #1 shows, and the beams are patchier than either the ArcAAA or Ultra-G - but hardly noticeable in practical real-life use. The Dorcy's light-circle/side-spill is about the same size as the Ultra-G which I like - both noticably wider than that of the ArcAAA - in comparison the ArcAAA is like looking down a tunnel. I also "fixed" the beam of my Dorcy 1AAA #1 - see -
Dorcy 1AAA Beam adjustment

Roy has posted a runtime plot of the Dorcy 1AAA where it made 3hr 51min to half the initial intensity and just over 4 hours before the steep drop in the graph. So just over 4 hours as far as I'm concerned.

Compared to an ArcAAA - the Dorcy has a more usable beam even if it is not as refined - my 2 samples have better color (less blue/violet) - has a push/momentary tail-switch - has about 4/5 the runtime - costs about 1/4 the price so that would buy 3 more Dorcy 1AAAs or about 30 AAA batteries to make up the difference. Or on running costs - the ArcAAA will become more economical after about 120 AAA batteries.......

I have 1 ArcAAA, 2x Ultra-Gs and 2x Dorcy 1AAA -
and I EDC the Dorcy mainly because of its tail-switch and its adequate performance.

Of course if I were to have the flashlight in my pocket to be run over by a truck
I'd use the ArcAAA -

but take it out of my pocket first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jbrett14

Enlightened

Nice report Vincent. Is the Ultra-G the same light as the CMG Infinity Ultra?

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
There was one case of someone dropping the light on concrete(?) and the reflector chipped - so that's the sort of durabilty to expect

[/ QUOTE ]
That, um, would be me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. To follow up on this, however, I contacted the Dorcy corp. through email and they sent me an address where I could send the light for "repair", another plus for them, for taking the time to respond and on offering support for their product. The chip doesn't effect the beam, that I'm aware of, it's just annoying having the thing rattling around in the lens assembly.
That being said, however, I'm still getting an ArcAAA as soon as they become available, because I like their durability, and they are still less bulky than the Dorcy lights. Type 3 HA rocks!

JK

idleprocess

Flashaholic

The Infinity Ultra-G is a somewhat tougher version of the Infinity Ultra - currently only available from County Comm.

The main difference is the anodizing - the Ultra-G is hard-anodized (commonly referred to as "HA III"), meaning the finish will probably never develop the dings and scratches commonly seen on more "experienced" maglites.

I want to say that I read about the Ultra-G model being released for general consumption, but I can't find it.

LightScene

Enlightened

To me, the Ultra-G is an almost perfect light. 10 hours of regulated brightness from an AA. No moving parts - nothing to wear out. A smooth round beam. An indestructible, un-scratchable body. A nice lanyard hole in the tail. 20 hours of bright light from a lithium AA. A minimalist form factor. $14.50.
The Dorcy is just cheap in every respect, and it will break, and it has half the run-time, and it is bigger, and it's beam is not smooth. You save $8.50 on the Dorcy, but you have to live with it's cheapness.
The Ultra-G is so easy to operate one-handed, that the Dorcy tail switch doesn't attract me at all.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LightScene said:
To me, the Ultra-G is an almost perfect light.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you - that's why I EDC'd the Ultra-G, and still am an advocate.

However the superiority of the Ultra-G does not necessarily put the Dorcy 1AAA into "cheap trash" class.

It is indeed true that the Ultra-G has one of the smoothest beams I have seen in a pocket light - but the Dorcy 1AAA has a considerably larger more useful hot-spot, and even if the beam is less smooth - it is still very useable in real-life, and in practice there is no disadvantage for my use.

I really do like the tail-switch which allows quick instant on - I do agree the Ultra-G is easy to use one-handed - but the edge does still go to the Dorcy's tail-switch. Even the somewhat "cheesy" rubber on the Dorcy serves a purpose in activating the tail-switch with the thumb - the holding fingers fall nicely on the grippy rubber (for me).

I like both lights a lot and fully acknowledge the better quality of the Ultra-G - but I now EDC the Dorcy despite having 2 very nice Ultra-G's...... go figure.

As with all things in life - YMMV.

franken2

Newly Enlightened

Another vote for infinty ultra as it rides with my keys, edc.Arc AAA (3 years old) stays in digicam bag, i.e. seldom used.Dorcy 1AAA stays near stereo system/cd rack.been toying with Dorcy's 1AA3led,2AA4led, and 2C8led. Great values to me!My ARC ls and e1e/wkl1 are still mint and I love em' that way. Bottom line, the ultra will most likely be with me when I need light most /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
franken2 said:
Another vote for infinty ultra as it rides with my keys, edc.Arc AAA (3 years old) stays in digicam bag, i.e. seldom used.Dorcy 1AAA stays near stereo system/cd rack.<snip>
Bottom line, the ultra will most likely be with me when I need light most /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree if I was going to a "hostile" environment - then I'd probably take the Ultra-G - knowing it is better built and probably will survive more things, and has longer runtime.

But I EDC the Dorcy 1AAA - simply for personal preference -
if I have to rationalize/justify - then it's mainly the tail-switch, the size**, and its beam coverage - larger hot-spot and wide side spill. It is also marginally brighter than either the Ultra-G or ArcAAA, also it's cheap to replace.

**size - strangely enough I used to criticize the Dorcy 1AAA for its inefficient utilisation of space - it is bigger than it need be for a single AAA LED light.

But being larger/longer than the ArcAAA makes it easier to use in the hand and locate in-pocket.

Being slimmer along most of its length and being lighter makes it just a bit better than the Ultra for in-pocket carry.

Like I've always said it's all down to personal preference - and YMMV

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

does anyone have any problem with the dorcy turning on or becoming unscrewed when on the keyring?

i have wondered if (the keyring being attached to the switch) the light would bang around and eventually turn the switch.

also, the wire seems pretty wimpy for keychain carry.

Bob