SF lamp assemblies

tadbik

Enlightened
Can someone explain why SF make you change the whole lamp assembly when a bulb blows? I presume they are the only flashlight that has this feature.

It makes it expensive to replace bulbs, but is there an advantage?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
having the bulb permanently mounted in the reflector ensure proper focusing, and the bulb won't get knocked out of alignment if dropped.

other companies do this also. the tigerlight comes to mind.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
all the new SF lights coming out appear to adopt the approach of having the bulb mounted in a pre-focused assembly that fits in the reflector though, so a reflector isn't wasted everytime the bulb blows.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
My UK Mini-Q40 and my Stealthlight are this way also.

I prefer it. Yes it is more expensive, although you are not alone in your objections.

The lamp & reflector assemble ARE the flashlight, they are what makes light. Everything else in a flashlight is there to help the lamp & reflector do it's job reliably and hold it all together.

GregR

RussH

Enlightened
I presume that the Pila G2 & similar lamps are this way, too? My original 6P is still using the bulb that came in it - 15 yrs old? I know it's been thru 10 sets of batteries or more....I thought it might be time to get a backup lamp for it.

tadbik

Enlightened
But why don't those clever guys at SF invent a lamp with a mounting system that places the bulb in a precise position? Then only the bulb would have to be replaced.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
They did - The E2e uses it, as does the E1e, M3, 10x, M6, M4... These all take lamps that are separate from the reflector. (proabaly missed a couple...)

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tadbik said:
But why don't those clever guys at SF invent a lamp with a mounting system that places the bulb in a precise position? Then only the bulb would have to be replaced.

[/ QUOTE ]The M3 is this way. The question should be, why don't they incorporate this design into their entire line. Trying to figure out why SF does a fraction of the things they do is pointless.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i guess they can't just stop producing LAs like the P60 and P90 because so many of their lights already use those. what they can do is use lamps held in pre-focused assemblies for new lights they introduce, like in the E series lights, and the millenium series lights with the exception of the M2.

Tombeis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
[ QUOTE ]
tadbik said:

[/ QUOTE ]The M3 is this way. The question should be, why don't they incorporate this design into their entire line. Trying to figure out why SF does a fraction of the things they do is pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighten up guys.

I am perfectly content with the way Surefire builds their flashlights.

Maybe you should switch to STREAMLIGHT!!!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you should switch to STREAMLIGHT!!! >>>>>>>>>>>>>

A lot of us prefer them. Faint dead away.................

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom, I know a Rep you can talk to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
also, integrating the reflector and the bulb makes it easy to replace the reflector if it is damaged. of a bulb blows and gets stuff everywhere, you can simply replace the reflector easily.
when my e2e reflector was damaged, the whole head needed to be replaced.

furthermore, when you take out the whole lamp assembly, you can dissect it and use the reflector for mods! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rothrandir-

That's what happened to my SF M6. The reflector is held captive in the head, a run of bad bulbs ruined the reflector. When the bulb blew, the glass was turned to sand like consistancy. Some of this was embedded in the reflector.

Surefire sent me a whole new head, received it in 3 days.

I'm wondering if the of Millenium series are the same (reflector cannot be removed from head) ?

I've had my eye on an M3 for a while.

GregR

tadbik

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Tombeis said:
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
[ QUOTE ]
tadbik said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighten up guys.

I am perfectly content with the way Surefire builds their flashlights.

Maybe you should switch to STREAMLIGHT!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, this thread was not a criticism of SF but a genuine quest to know more about the design of flashlights.

Secondly, when you say that you are content with the way SF builds flashlights. Well, I'm sure the SF designers and engineers feel differently. Any company wants to improve their products if they don't want to stagnate.

Whether they would admit it or not SF must surely take into account what their customers want and the CPF is a perfect way for SF to guage customer reaction to new design.

Finally, I do have a Streamlight flashlight in my collection!

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tadbik said:
Firstly, this thread was not a criticism of SF but a genuine quest to know more about the design of flashlights.

Secondly, when you say that you are content with the way SF builds flashlights. Well, I'm sure the SF designers and engineers feel differently. Any company wants to improve their products if they don't want to stagnate.

Whether they would admit it or not SF must surely take into account what their customers want and the CPF is a perfect way for SF to guage customer reaction to new design.

Finally, I do have a Streamlight flashlight in my collection!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said, tadbik. Welcome to CPF ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BC

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
double_A: with the exception of the M1 and M2, all the other surefire millenium lights have a reflector that cannot be removed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif