• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: 4x XML2 by 4x 18650 EXTREME!!!!

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,

When I saw this Magic Fire Scorpion host and how much solid metal it was made of I just couldn't resist putting something over the top in it. Of course since it came factory powered by 4x 18650s it seemed only natural to mate it with 4 of the worlds best and brightest, the XML2.

4x18650xml2011.jpg

After removing the ballast from the HID, the throat of this best screamed for a gargantuan heat sink, I was happy to oblige. This light is now boasting a solid aluminum sink nearly 2 inches deep!

4x18650xml2.jpg

With the foundation laid it was on to the structure. Direct bonded to a bed of pure copper for the ultimate thermal pathway the XML2s are now poised to strike.

4x18650xml2003.jpg

Since the heat sink was so insistent on taking up all the room in the house a short set of reflectors is to be used. In order to maximize this lights potential in every direction the LEDs have been de-domed. This coupled with the short MOP reflectors generates a super wide uber soft beam while maintaining an excellent reach similar to what you get from single LED lights.

4x18650xml2010.jpg

The battery adapter has been upgraded to a 10 switch to accommodate the higher current needed for a direct drive light engine. ( Batteries are NOT included with sale)

4x18650xml2009.jpg

In the spirit of full disclosure I would like to mention this host came to me from another member so there are a couple of small imperfections in the finish. There are a couple of dings on the bezel and one very small place on the body knurl where you can see through the finish. The light does have a soft smooth beam as mentioned before, but there is a very faint small dark spot in the center of the beam. Certainly doesn't come anywhere near qualifying as a doughnut, I only mention it because some users are sensitive to this.

Lets go to the beam shots :D.

I wanted to compare this to something of substantial output so I use one of my shorty 875 OTF lumen XML2 maglites.

4x18650xml2006.jpg

4x4 Extreme!

4x18650xml2008.jpg

Price is $275 Shipped!SOLD

PP is vesture_of_blood(@)hotmail.com

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: 4x XML2 by 4x 18650 EXTREME!!!!

I already have a Magic Scorpion....are you interested in modding mine like this and if so, how much? :cool:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast

.....OR I could buy this one and you could take mine on trade-in! How 'bout that?

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

vob - youve been making some really nice builds lately! keep it up!

CouldUseALight

Newly Enlightened

This looks awesome! Bet you get lots of interest from Scorpion owners....seems to be a great host. :thumbsup:

Love the heat sink; wish I was in the market for a multi-emitter...does it have levels?

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow Colonel, on a little spree are you? :D

Haha....yeah, I get like this sometimes. It goes and comes for some reason. Lately there's just been too much cool stuff for me to turn down. :cool:

The paypal's on the way. Just been out of town and haven't had a minute.

Last edited:

JeffN

Enlightened

You're going to enjoy using this light. The 3 x X-ML shorty M@g Matt built for me uses what looks like the same reflectors and it puts out a wall of light. Can only imagine what it would be like with 4 x X-ML2. His work is top-notch.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow !!! Yes, I'd say it qualifies as an 'over the top' light for sure!

TEEJ

Flashaholic

shorty 875 OTF lumen XML2 maglite.

4x18650xml2006.jpg

4x4 Extreme!

4x18650xml2008.jpg

1) Are these pics taken at the same time, or, at different times from the same points? (And were the exposures the same?)

2) What is the range to the trees?

The light looks AWESOME!

:D

- Thanks!

wiscboy

Newly Enlightened

What is the approximate runtime?

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Colonel Sanders, did u get a holster with your Magic Fire? Mine just came in a ton of bubble wrap I was like what the hell!!

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would it be an even better heat sink if u used 2 inches of solid copper instead of 2 inches of aluminum? (I know it would cost more & be heavier)

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Edit
Forget last post thanks to some more assistance in this great forum I found out that other emitters I've been considering only work well with large reflectors. Vesture can I please get an exact replica of this 4 de-domed XML2 Extreme? How much would it be if I mail u my host? Thanks

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delayed response to all of this. Monday was opening day of turkey season here so I have been gone.

Thanks to each of you for the compliments about my work, it very encouraging to hear ( and a bump for the thread never hurts either LOL).

does it have levels?

This one is direct drive :D

shorty 875 OTF lumen XML2 maglite.

4x18650xml2006.jpg

4x4 Extreme!

4x18650xml2008.jpg

1) Are these pics taken at the same time, or, at different times from the same points? (And were the exposures the same?)

2) What is the range to the trees?

The light looks AWESOME!

:D

- Thanks!

1. I am pretty sure that the pictures were taken at the same time, and certain they are from the same point. If you look at that little white stone toward the bottom of the pic the only difference is it looks like the camera is pointing down a hair more in the second pic. I have so many pictures in my camera there is a small chance that first photo could have been taken with another group.

I am 99% sure that both pictures were taken with the camera on the same settings. However I have no issue with making an adjustment to the settings if its needed to make a REALISTIC portrayal of the difference in output. In the past I would just take both pictures on the same setting no matter what, then someone pointed out to me that this actually made some of the product I was selling seem brighter than it was.

At this point what I will say about all of my pictures is that I have made every possible effort to present an ACCURATE representation of the contrast of the 2 light beams in brightness and dimension.

2. I think the distance to the trees was around 100 ish feet.

What is the approximate runtime?

On a set of standard Li-ion its driven to about 4 amps so depending on what cells are used I'd say around 35 minutes or so.

Edit
Forget last post thanks to some more assistance in this great forum I found out that other emitters I've been considering only work well with large reflectors. Vesture can I please get an exact replica of this 4 de-domed XML2 Extreme? How much would it be if I mail u my host? Thanks

PM sent.

Colonel Sanders

I will be shipping your light today.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm getting one with a driver! I already own a direct drive multi-XML2 non de-domed flood baster, so a de-domed multi-XML2 flooder with a driver will be a great mix to my collection, thanks Vestureofblood (best screen name)