Finally my 18650 rrt01

aau007

Enlightened
So I finally got a rrt01 and assembled it to use with 18650. Never feel 20 minutes of runtime enough for such a nice light. I am not a modder so I had to wait for the new version of the rrt01 with OP reflector. No, the ringy beam does not bother me but a smoother beam is just better. Now I have a light that does the followings:

1. Slim 18650 to fit in pocket.
2. Below 0.5 lms to 500 lms for most of my needs.
3. Single hand operation without changing grip. Yeah, handshake grip most of the time.
4. Longer than original tube so I don't feel like the light will fall out of my hand when adjusting the brightness using one hand.
5. Floody beam for close to medium distance so I don't have to point the hotspot.
6. Long runtime with 18650 instead of 18350.
7. Finally, thanks to the OP reflector, smooth beam pattern.

rrt01-18650-sm.jpg

aau007

Enlightened
Wahla. I did not know this is a secret. At least I don't believe the engineers at Jetbeam think should be a secret.

It is the battery tube from the Eye15. If you ask me, aside from the shade difference, I would think this tube was originally made for the rrt01 but somehow JB passed it onto Niteye to make the Eye15. Even the body knurling kinda matchs the rrt01. The fitting between the head and the tube is almost identical to the original that you can hardly tell.

Dubois

Enlightened
Thanks for that. It begs the question - did you buy an EYE15 and junk the rest of it, or were you able to buy the EYE body separately?

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm. I'd like to do this to my RRT-0. I wonder if it uses the same threading as the RRT-01. Anyone know?

SCD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that. It begs the question - did you buy an EYE15 and junk the rest of it, or were you able to buy the EYE body separately?

+1
Kinda figured it was an Eye15 body but wondered what the economical way of getting one was?
There has to be at least a half dozen folks here that need one:)

herosemblem

Enlightened
One of my favorite lights is my RRT01, but I don't actually use it because it is CR123 size, and I only EDC lights which are 18650/2x CR123 size.
Can't wait to hear more information on this battery tube...

melty

Newly Enlightened
Whoo, buying an EYE15 just for the body seems pretty steep. I guess it would be possible to sell off the EYE15 as an EYE10 with RRT01 body. :D

aau007

Enlightened
Hmmmm. I'd like to do this to my RRT-0. I wonder if it uses the same threading as the RRT-01. Anyone know?

No.
1. rrt0 head has a male thread so no go with this tube. 2. rrt0 total width would not accomodate 18650 battery size. Take the head of the rrt0 and butt up the positive side of a 18650 battery to the terminal to check the width fitting and you will see what I mean. There is no known 18650 solution to the rrt0 that I know of, simply because the width of the battery is so close to the width of the thread at the head that it is close to impossble to even customize a 18650 tube.

You put the head of the Eye15 to the body of the rrt01 so you don't junk a totally usable light.

I thought about that route and waited but the AL version has not come thru and I discovered this. According to Mohanjude somewhere, creating the knurling and texture to match the head will also make the cost prohibitive. Furthermore, Mohanjude's solution is to use extender(s) but this is a standalone tube so kinda different approach. This is so far the best 18650 solution I can find that the light will match as close as possible, aside from the Crelant solution.

I have some other ideas to make it more perfect for me but that will involve customizing the tube. Not sure if I want to pay that sort of money.

BTW, the Eye15 tube will "work" with the Eye10, Eye10 TiC and also the TCR1. Fitting is best fitted to the rrt01 though. I don't have my Eye10 any more but if anyone wants to know what this tube looks like with the Eye10 TiC or TCR1, I can try to make some pics this weekend and you can see why I said "work", just not the best fitting.

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
No.
1. rrt0 head has a male thread so no go with this tube. 2. rrt0 total width would not accomodate 18650 battery size. Take the head of the rrt0 and butt up the positive side of a 18650 battery to the terminal to check the width fitting and you will see what I mean. There is no known 18650 solution to the rrt0 that I know of, simply because the width of the battery is so close to the width of the thread at the head that it is close to impossble to even customize a 18650 tube.

Bummer. Thanks for answering.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I'll take it. Nice lego thanks for sharing. A Nitecore D10/D11 clip would fit nicely looks like there is enough meat on the end to tap some screw holes. Is the the tube tail end diameter about the same as a 6P, if so one of them Delrin Tailcap Shrouds with a clip would be nice.

Last edited:

melty

Newly Enlightened
You must want this setup bad. I had wanted this for a long time myself.

I want it fairly badly myself. Have you left the light on full-blast for any length of time? I assume the overheating concerns still stand.

aau007

Enlightened
I want it fairly badly myself. Have you left the light on full-blast for any length of time? I assume the overheating concerns still stand.

Any heat concerns still stand, plus more. I won't run the light at max for more than 3 to 5 min, depending on the ambient temperature. You will actually want to be more careful now that the light can go max for a lot longer. If you are in Arizona during the summer, you can easily burn out this light. If it is rated at max for 20 min with 16340 at 650mah and now you have 2600mah in your 18650 (4x capacity), you can potentially have over an hour at max, definitely heat damage I guess.

This 18650 solution serves me in the ways I described in my 1st post. Being able to run at max for the duration of a whole charge is not one of them. However, I bet I can run the light at half power for the entire charge of the 18650 though, without running into heat problem. It will also give me more bursts at max between charges. If you need to go max for long period of time, you probably want to mount some heat sink on the head. The longer body does not really help dissipating heat. If you manage to find a finned heat sink that will clamp on to the head, then it will.