How to diffuse beam pattern?

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know of either a prismatic self adhesive material you could cut and fit to a reflector or a diffusion material you can adhere to a lens to eliminate hot spots and artifacts in a beam pattern? Have you tried it and where did you get it? I have a wide angle flood light sold by Sportsman's Guide I want to smooth out the beam pattern with the least amount of usable light loss. The lens and reflector are rectangular. Any Advise? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

arioch

Enlightened
skeeterbait,

Hello. Do a search for "WriteRight". Look here for one of the more recent threads. Don't know the size of your floodlight, but the WriteRight sheets are rectangular (normally used for monochromatic PDA screens). I would Google search for a good price on the item; they are being phased out in favor of color WriteRight, which does not diffuse light the same way.

I would also contact Otokoyama and ask if he could cut you an Acrylite lens for your light.

Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
Dang, why do I keep wanting to make this stuff harder than it should be. I have a super Wallmart and an Office Depot less than three miles from my house and here I was thinking I needed some obscure prismatic material I would have to order. I really like the idea of the added benefit of scratch protection. Once again you guys come through for me, thanks!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
skeeterbait,
The correct Wrightright might be hard to find. Don't buy any other than the monochrome because it won't work (no texture).

qarawol

Enlightened
If you don't mind it to be a permanent fix ... Remove the lens, if it's glass, fine bead blast it - If it's plastic, just scuff it up with fine steel wool or fine bead blast it. Be sure to do it on the inner side of the lens to keep the face nice and smooth, it really doesn't matter though. That's all there is to it.

Enjoy...