Arc AA vs Inova X-1?

shootist16

Newly Enlightened
Looking at getting my brother-in-law one of these for Christmas. Which would you suggest and why? Which produces the most "useable" light?

DumboRAT

Enlightened
You'll need to define "uasble light."

If you wanted a "flood" light, the AA is the way to go.

If you wanted a "spotlight" with nearly no side-spill, the X1 is your ticket.

It's simply a question of "spot" versus "flood/area."

There's no right or wrong, and either is just as "usable" as the other provided that it is matched to the right task -- just pick the right tool for the job.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your brother-in-law has a specific purpose that is suited by the X1's extremely tight beam with absolutely no sidespill, then get that one. The AA Arc (or CMG Infinity Ultra) is much more useful in general.

In a dark room, using the X1 is like looking through a hole in a sheet of paper. The spot dazzles your eyes and you really can't see anything else except for the small area the spot is striking. It's almost like trying to see your way around using a laser pointer. The result is constant scanning the light back and forth to see where you are going or to get "the big picture".

The X1 seems to be "matched" to very few tasks.

The other AA's mentioned send out a flood of light allowing you to actually see your surroundings in addition to the subject you are pointing the beam at. For almost everyone, these will be much more useful.

jtice

Flashaholic
Hands down,,, the Arc AA is ALOT more "usable"
I am surprised how much light my AA puts out every time I use it.

In total darkness, its alot of great light.

The X1 is ,,,, well, in my eyes, a nolvalty item.
It has NOOOOOO spill light what so ever.

Cant even use it to read a map, unless you want a bright 1" diameter dot on your map. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Its a fun light, but to USE,,, the AA is great.

PhilAlex

Enlightened
You didn't ask this, but I'll chime in anyways...

Personally, I would go with the ARC AAA. Smaller, you're more likely to carry it, and durable as heck.

I carry a Photon III and ARC AAA on my keychain. The Photon is Blue, the Arc, White.

The Photon gets used for quick tasks. The arc, anything longer. (My palmtop doesn't have a backlight, so I use the ARC)

-P

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apart from all the good points mentioned above, you can also stand the Arc AA on its tailend, making it a very nice and bright room illumination light as well. I don't believe the X1 is able to stand on the tailcap...

I guess the answer to your question of 'usable' light would be Arc AA, cos of its flood ability compared to a spot ability. To me, that's usable light anyway...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
...I don't believe the X1 is able to stand on the tailcap...

[/ QUOTE ]
The X1 could be stood up this way if you drop it in the middle of a toliet roll, but it can't stand up that way by itself. But not everybody wants a roll of bungwipe on the dresser or coffee table.

I am Cornholio!!! I need TP for my bunghole!!!

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been said - the ARC AA is much more usable, but I'll second the vote for the AAA. If he has neither, the AAA will be used more because it's easier to carry.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Or you could go for the CMG Infinity Ultra.

CMG: $ 15
Arc AAA: $ 25
Arc AA: $ 35
Dorcy AAA: $ 6

You decide. They all have comparable levels of brightness.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam-

A great way of summarizing the differences, and I agree wholeheartedly!

GregR

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
I am Cornholio!!! I need TP for my bunghole!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif