McGizmo Haiku or Alpha Blue-Label or Mac Tri-EDC (which one to get first!?)

eklimpke

Newly Enlightened
It seems I have taken the common path to flashlight enlightenment. Start with the cheaper smaller lights and work your way up. I am now ready for the next step and am looking for a little advice. I have been reading reviews for days now about various custom lights. I think I have narrowed it down to three different lights McGizmo Haiku or Alpha or Mac Tri-EDC. I am open to suggestions or comments from anyone with experience or insight. Thank you for all you help. I have learned much in my short time on CPF.

Shooter21

Enlightened
Firstly what are you looking for in a torch? If you want a really bright torch with good run time go with the Alpha.

djdawg

Enlightened
Iam in your boat .......Iam not much help , but I have a Haiku and Sundrop McGizmo now with a Makia on the way ......LOL
There addicting .......... quality is supperb.
MCGIZMO003.jpg

Maybe you,ll get someone that can talk the talk on this .........Iam interested also.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I haven't tried an Alpha, but the overwhelmingly positive reviews make me want one. I don't think it is especially comparable to the Haiku or Tri-EDC, since the size makes it less of a true EDC candidate.

Besides both being top notch titanium lights, the Haiku and Tri-EDC are pretty different... The Haiku's high is probably comparable to the Tri-EDC on low. The Haiku works great on primaries, the Tri-EDC does not, but if you want power in an EDC, IMR 18350s are the best way to go. I personally prefer the simpler styling of Mac's lights, but the Haiku is a beautiful light and feels great in the hand.

The option of XP-G, XM-L, or Nichia 119 in the Haiku may sway you... also the lego possibilities of McGizmo's bodies.

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
All three are great light.

McGizmo is the brains behind most of the items (mcclicky, reflectors,etc) on my lights. Decent output, long run time.

Dark sucks - Balance of brightness and runtime.

Mac Custom- Burns our eyelids off lumens, but short runtime on high.

nbp

Flashaholic
They are all different. You need all three.

These are three of my favorite lights.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you worked your way up from cheaper lights to better ones, what are the features you liked? What features helped you use these lights and how do you use your lights? Are you a tint snob or do you like blinding lights. Do you like tiny lights or are you OK with an 18650 light? Do you like floody lights/mules or do you like throw? Is runtime important to you or are you OK with carrying extra cells and changing them when needed? Did you just appreciate the improved fit and finish of the more expensive lights or were there features that you enjoyed?

I have a Ready-Made - perhaps a step down from the Blue-Label Alpha - and I'm happy with it. Good runtime on an 18650 and beautiful beam (MC-E + Ledil Boom). I got a shorty body to make it smaller, but it doesn't make that much of a difference in size. It still isn't a tiny light.

I agree with nbp - these are very different from each other and you need all three. Unless you can pinpoint exactly what you're looking for.

eklimpke

Newly Enlightened
So that is another question. Since I am new to having so many options with lights. Which version XP-G, XM-L, or the Nichia 119 would you suggest?

Frank1967

Enlightened
I have the Alpha. It has a beautiful room filling beam. The tint of the MCE led is very pleasant and easy on the eyes. I have a Haiku 6V XML coming in from Hawaii by Thursday. I will compare the differences for you then. With The 6V xml Haiku you are getting almost 400 lumens compared to the 3V version of about 200 lumens. The Alpha puts out 400 Lumens but I am guessing the XML will seem brighter because of the characteristics of the XML vs the MCE.

Imon

Enlightened
So that is another question. Since I am new to having so many options with lights. Which version XP-G, XM-L, or the Nichia 119 would you suggest?

Depends on your needs - do you want raw output or a nice tint and high CRI?
The XP-G and XM-L have the advantage over the 119 by having more output but the 119 has the advantage of having a nicer tint and is better at rendering colors. The XM-L will have more output than the XP-G and it will have a wider spot than the XP-G.