$$$ keeping you away from what light?

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I have a couple of lights that I have wanted but never got because the price just seemed to high. I know a lot of us are in the same situation and just can't see spending (????) on a flashlight. My limit is about $100.00, if a light goes for more than that my frugal side just seems to scream (YOU DON'T NEED ANOTHER FLASHLIGHT :scowl: ) and I never pull the trigger. A $50 light is within the endulge youself relm and I don't hesitate, and that seems to satisfy the flashaholic in me for a couple of months. Do any of you suffer from this same affliction?

At what $ do you start second guessing yourslef and back away from a purchase? Me? = $100ish

What light do you now want, but just keep talking yourslef out of? Me? = Eagletac SX25A6

jaycyu

Enlightened
$1000 in total of all my torches.
This addiction is getting close to photo gear prices.

Edit:
Copper body ----> $140
Copper Cryos ----> $100
Copper Tailcap ----> $150
Copper Quad + FETtie ----> $300
Copper foil ----> $5
Thermal Compound ----> $8
Nyogel 760G ----> $5
Stainless steel bezel ring ----> $20
Drill-optics ----> $25
Blue Tritium 1.5x6mm x4 ----> $40
AW IMR 18650 ----> $20
AR Glass ----> $5
Glow-in-the-dark O-ring ----> $5
Glow-in-the-dark powder refill ----> $5
Glow-in-the-dark paint (around the emitters) ----> $5
Solarforce belt clips ----> $7
Total ----> $840

Now that I did the math, I wonder where I got the money the build this torch in the first place, seeing that I'm in debt.
The cost might keep me from keeping it.

Last edited:

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Less than 150 is my general limit. Though, I am pretty purpose oriented with my lights, it must serve a purpose and so as long as I can justify the reason, it doesn't bother me. An Xtar D35 is the light I keep talking myself out of. One for sale in cpfm that I hope sells really soon because its like a mcdonalds across from weight watchers.

awyeah

Enlightened
Price is keeping me from getting an Elzetta. Durability is important for me, but at nearly $200 it's just too much.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy to spend the money providing I get a good quality light

I have spent a couple of hundred on a oveready 9P, or nearly a grand on a 2nd hand Maxabeam (although I would spend full price, they are that good)

In fact, I would rather spend more, on a higher quality, dimmer light than spend less on a cheaper, briger light that might fail me.

As a practical example
I own a Muyshondt Aeon - go look it up.
if you look at the price, then at the output - it doesn't make sense.
if you get one, and use it, you find that the max output is useful, while allowing a good runtime, and the low level is a nice output for close up tasks, with a ridiculous runtime.
the fact it is heirloom quality, with an amazingly machined body, sapphire lens, and feels like a small jewel, that only gets better as it is carried and used make it worth the money
Its also made in the USA, by someone who really cares about the product he is producing.
those who own them just get it, and they rave about them.

kj2

Flashaholic
Depends on what kind of light it is- what my max is. But normally it's around €100/130,-.
High on my wishlist are the Armytek Predator, Sunwayman T21CS and the Nitecore SRT7.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted a McGimzo Haiku, but $450+ was way above what I was used to spend on a light. I looked at my lights and saw I had multiple unused lights and parts. I sold most of the shelf queens and purchased the Haiku. To me it was basically a trade. Funds from the sale went toward the Haiku. Mint bored C3, Mint bored C2, NIP 9p, GITD C2, and a Malkoff drop-in for a Haiku.

JNieporte

Enlightened
Right now, I won't buy a light over maybe $70 unless it gives something I don't already have. For me, $70 is a lot of money.

What light do I want, that I keep talking myself out of? FourSevens Maelstrom MMU

ganymede

Enlightened
If you ask me, I would say money is keeping me away from owning the entire line of Surefires ever produced (current/vintage/regular production/limited/special/experimental/prototype etc) :rolleyes:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A nice titanium Haiku would be the first for me too. Just too much for me at the moment ;(.

rayman

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think $250ish would be my limit. However I do not currently own anything over $100 due to the niche I happen to like - efficient, low/sub-lumen, 1xAA/14500, EDC light - and nobody makes anything really nice in that space. I'm sure I can spend that more easily on powerhouse lights, but I've tried some and they really don't anything for me.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
$150 is my limit. There's plenty of bright, quality lights within that price. I'd like an RC40, but I don't have a need for it. As it is I rarely use my TK41 in turbo mode. Eventually $150 will buy you a decent 3,000 lumen light anyway.

gravelrash

Enlightened
I have to really think about a light that is over $100, and struggle buying one over $150, but I have bought a few (Surefire, HDS). I don't regret what I've bought in the past because now I know what I like and I can narrow what I buy.

I really want a Spy 007. Not for the safe, I would carry it. I'm saving my pennies...

gravelrash

Enlightened
Don't leave us hanging - how about a picture of it?

Also, you should probably include a charger in your list...

$1000 in total.
This addiction is getting close to photo gear prices.

Edit:
Copper body ----> $140
Copper Cryos ----> $100
Copper Tailcap ----> $150
Copper Quad + FETtie ----> $300
Copper foil ----> $5
Thermal Compound ----> $8
Nyogel 760G ----> $5
Drill-optics ----> $25
Blue Tritium 1.5x6mm x4 ----> $40
AW IMR 18650 ----> $20
AR Glass ----> $5
Glow-in-the-dark O-ring ----> $5
Glow-in-the-dark powder refill ----> $5
Glow-in-the-dark paint ----> $5
Solarforce belt clips ----> $7
Total ----> $820

Now that I did the math, I wonder where I got the money the build this torch in the first place.
Seems a little unethical to keep it around.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I've managed to fill most requirements I could think of -throw, hi-cri flood, headlamp, keychain light, sub-lumen AA etc with various lights so I'm not really drooling over anything in particular at the moment.

Custom ano Surefire 6P with a triple Nichia 219 is the most costly light I own, would really struggle to spend that amount again...

Strangely enough, the only light I sort of want but can't justify the money on is a Fenix E01...

Last edited:

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Price is keeping me from getting an Elzetta. Durability is important for me, but at nearly $200 it's just too much.

I have been looking at Elzetta's website alot also, but with a couple of P6's already just keep talking my self out of getting the card out of the wallet.

gunga

Flashaholic
My limit used to be $100. Now it's all over the place (discovered I love titanium lights). I do go through phases of buyers remorse and end up selling a lot of these beauties though. I try to
Limit the overall spending by selling stuff when I buy stuff.