Red LED and driver

activeviii

Newly Enlightened
Hello All,I have been a round a little while and reading and searching but i cant find the information.I am new to the modding but have access to the tools needed.Im wanting to mod a new torch so it runs with a red led but all this driver stuff is a little to much for me to take in.I have found a SupFire® X6-T6 XML T6 LED Light source 1200lumens flashlight with a 63mm head. Im thinking that if i was to get an asymmetric Lens, light the deerelight xsearcher or night master then i could have a half decent thrower.next thing was i real would light itto run a led ledI belive i need something like an Osram black red LED. not sure so guidance greatly received.i have no idea about drivers, i cant get my head around them. i want to run 2 x 18650 batteries and if i can have 3 modes than that would be grand. (hi, mid and low)I can make the pill so a p60 type drop in wouldn't been needed, just the led and the drive and maybe a little help understanding them.sorry if this has been asked before, i have been looking for a long time but cant find the answers.thanks gents for any help you can offer.Thanks for your timeAll the bestPhil

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
SupFire® X6-T6 XML T6 LED isa desent thrower without aspheric lenses.

xml is driven at 3A max, there are few red leds on the market, exsept sst90red none will handle 3A, there are cree xpg xre red leds and rebel, all max out at 700ma. there are also no name chinise red leds but they too max out at 700ma.

you need any of those leds, not sure if sst90 will fit right and still be in focus, but cree and rebel should, and driver that is 700ma max.
wich driver exactly, can be determined when you actualy take your light apart, or find pics of someone else that took same light apart.

activeviii

Newly Enlightened
thank you for the help much needed,

just before i order the SupFire i have also read about the SMALL SUN ZY-T13 CREE T6 10W 1200LM 5 Modes Flashlight Torch Black.

if im going to rip the L
ED and driver out and replace with a red then is it worth spending the extra money on the SupFire.
LED wise. do i go for the SST90Red, the OSLON black red 120 or the Cree XPERED-L1-R2-N3 on Star PCB. Or if there some thing better still.

I can jump on a lathe and bodge a pill so its really the LED and driver im stuck on.

sorry about the questions. i am trying, as me mum use to say.

thanks again

all the best

Phil

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
never used oslon, have no clue how it is, but cree and rebels i'm familiar with, and looking at their datasheets, cree looks like the winner .
however if you go with sst90, you need to change driver to one with MORE current, 5-6A, and you'll need to most likely upgrade the switch, cuz i realy doubt oem switch can handle 4+A. and also you will have more heat to dissapate from sst than stock xml.
if i had to do it, i'd pick cree, or rebel, i use rebels al the time, they are a bit behind cree in efficiancy, but rebel has deep red 660nm, cree does't make those, i like the color of deep red better, that is the only reason i go with rebel.

as for driver, there are dozens, on dx, kd, and other sites, there are exelent quality taskled drivers, but they are more expencive, taskled also has 6500ma driver, in case you want to go with sst90. but you need to know how much room you have to start picking the driver.
it is good that you can lathe a new pill, their pills are made from brass most of the time, very bad choice for heatconducting part, use copper or aluminium.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
You can actually put a red pill straight into the Night Master - Dereelight make one to suit.

The red Cree emitters like the xr-e and xp-g will not handle 3A.

activeviii

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.
To try and learn with i the ordered a few bits, not sure on the LED's and driver though.
I have bought a small 3sun T13
crelant collimator head

LT-1837, CREE XP-E N3 on Star PCB Cree XPERED-L1-R2-N3 on Star PCB 1 5,99 € 5,99 €
LT-1972, OSRAM Oslon SSL 80 red on Star Oslon SSL 80 LRCP7P-JRJT (JS) 1 2,99 € 2,99 €
LT-1974, OSRAM Oslon SSL 80 red on Star Oslon SSL 80 LHCP7P-2T3T (3T) 1 2,99 € 2,99 €
LT-1972, OSRAM Oslon SSL 80 red on Star Oslon SSL 80 LRCP7P-JRJT (JS)

18V 5W Cree Circuit Board for Flashlights (16.8mm*5.5mm)-
1*Cree 5W regulated power output-
Output current: 1A with P4 emitter; 1.2A with Q5 emitter
- 16.8mm diameter base, 5.5mm overall depth
- Voltage: 3V-18V-
Fully regulated circuit design

Question is have i ordered the right driver for the led's or is there something best, so to speak.
I dont know how to tell differance in drivers and led needs.

thank for your time
ATB
Phil.

Last edited:

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Two things - your driver needs to be the right size to fit into the pill on your light, and the amperage needs to suit the emitter you are using.

Acceptable voltage ranges are normally on manufacturers data sheets. That said, you can often exceed the maximum recommended current with good heat sinking and if the light is to be used for short periods.

activeviii

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that Blitzwing,Pill im not worried about, i can make that. all i need worry about on that is if it will fit in the head ;)I am trying to under stand the drive chip thing. on one of the chips it says 350 mA, max 700mA so does that mean i need a chip with 0.7 out put?Im confused as to the drivers i should be needingThanks for your helpKind regardsPhil

Dr.Jones

Newly Enlightened
I recently made a simple drop-in and a compact 18650 light in a cheap host with an Oslon 625nm and a 1.4A NANJG101 linear driver (with custom firmware). Works well even though it's overdriven. I didn't run it on highest level for long though. The special dome doesn't work well with every reflector, but should do great with an aspheric lens.

Such a driver is suitable only for one Li-ion cell or multiple in parallel though. It can easily be modified for 1.05A or 700mA.

I don't have a CREE to compare it though.

activeviii

Newly Enlightened
Quick question, i really canty work out these drivers.

i have just swapped the White LED out of a trustfire and replaced with SSL 80 red.

when i turn the torch on the first of 5 settings, the light is bright and then dims. on the second setting, it comes on low and builds in intensity.

What am i doing wrong. should i give up now ha ha.

Dr.Jones

Newly Enlightened
Was it a NANJG101 1.4A or a NANJG105 2.8A? in the latter case, 2.8A is too much and the LED will overheat and dim.