Help Identifying a light or two...

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone "shed some light" on this build....

It's a light for sale on eBay and I am really curious if anyone here has any knowledge about it
Thanks
GB

Well, we figured it out...

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help Identifying this Maglite... 19 LEDs in the head...

Can anyone "shed some light" on this build....

I can't tell you EXACTLY what has been done here. But it looks like someone has installed some sort of 'showerhead' type drop-in similar to the Fusion 36. Otherwise, it's just a stock Mag.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

10-4, thanks,

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks FM, I really appreciate you chiming in, I'm trying to get an idea of how bright it may be, if it has modes, and the heat sink and such, I may need to try and get more pictures,

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have made similar mods, similar to the one by FM above. DX used to sell multi 5mm LED lights that would run off either 3AA or 4AAA. No regulation nor dropping resistors, simply just straight off the batteries in parallel. The boards would come out easily and the 48 LED ones were about 48mm so you could just squeeze them into a mag head.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool,

It's on eBay for 35.00 bucks, Lol... But it's hard to tell what length the host is...

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

For $35.00 I would save the money.

We don't know what brand LEDs are in the dropin, or how many lumens it puts out.

$35.00 is a lot of money to spend on what is likely an antiquated unknown.

But that is not the major reason.

As pointed out, "In the background there appears to be a Tnc or a McGizmo torch and a surefire 123 primary..."

Anyone owning those pieces is not into this hobby "just a little" but has the knowledge and resources to afford high end stuff.

This also means they more likely than not have the knowledge as to what is inside that Mag head, who made it, how many lumens it puts out, etc.

I hate to play cynic, but anyone with lights as high end as what appears in the background more likely than not knows more about the light than is being stated.

I believe this for two reasons:

1) When clustered 5mm LED Maglite dropins were popular, they cost a lot of money as an upgrade to stock Maglites.
They were sold with a lot of details on lumens, runtime, etc. If the seller purchased the dropin when they were very popular,
he or she would most likely have those details.

2) If the dropin were something cheap purchased directly from Asia, then the seller would know that, too.

To me, it is an antique, and most definitely not worth the money without further explanation.

The only modern clustered LED Maglite dropin I know of that is still available is the Fusion, and that one is loaded with specs.

A direct link won't be permitted.

Can you please paste the exact search query on e-Bay which leads to this item?

I tried locating it myself but failed.

Last edited:

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Incoming PM,

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hate to play cynic, but anyone with lights as high end as what appears in the background more likely than not knows more about the light than is being stated.

Well, I am pretty confident he doesn't know all the details behind the lights,
The seller and I have been emailing a bit because I had a few questions about a Malkoff he was selling and that
is when he explained the details that he doesn't know a lot about flashlights and has some brands he is unsure of,

So we went back and forth and he emailed me pics of the lights he could not identify and they were the McGizmo Lunasols, lol...

I emailed back with links and details, just wanted to help with info,

He has a few lights still for sale but I am not sure what Leds are in them, almost all have SS bezel rings on them though.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree; cynicism retracted.

I also messaged back and forth with him, and he is clearing out someone else's goods.

Whoever they used to belong to, they were clearly part of this forum.

I feel bad for the guy who lost all the goods.

Either way, I still wouldn't recommend purchasing the Maglite with 5mm LED cluster module.

For $35.00 you can grab a quality custom P60 from someone and use it in a much, much smaller host.

Latest posts