500 Lumen light comparisons w/ video

FlashlightNewb

Newly Enlightened
First, let me say this is my first post here. I thought this video may be useful to people like myself who were looking at lights in local stores rather than purchasing from specialized websites. These are three 500 lumen, affordable lights available at major stores.

IMG_20130418_164619_183.jpg

From left to right is a Coleman CT50 500 lumen from Walmart for $50, Defiant ArmorMax 590 lumen from Home Depot for $30 and a Defiant Super Thrower 493 lumen from Home Depot for $23.

The first light I tried out was the Coleman. Very solid feel and well machined body. The brightness was impressive and easily the brightest light I've used. It has two modes: high and low.

The second light I tried was the ArmorMax. I was even more impressed and decided this was now the brightest light I've ever used. It throws further than the Coleman and also floods better. Overall, much brighter. It too, is a solid design with some weight behind it. It could double as a club after you blind someone.

The Super Thrower is pretty much identical to the Armormax as far as brightness is concerned. It just has a tighter hot spot that is supposed to throw further but honestly, it didn't seem to throw any further than the ArmorMax and it also doesn't flood like the ArmorMax. It has only On and Off.

The Defiants are an overall better light for almost half the price of the Coleman. I'll be returning the Coleman to Walmart and maybe the Super Thrower to Home Depot. The ArmorMax does everything I need.

Here is a Youtube video comparison of all 3 lights. Of course, this is not a scientific review but more of a "holy crap, these things are bright" review.

http://youtu.be/ctYkc_P6kOI

Here are the two Defiants:
Defiant ArmorMax
Please note there are two models of this Armor Max, this one takes "D" batteries.

Defiant Super Thrower

Here is the Coleman:
Coleman CT50

Norm

Retired Administrator
:welcome:

Your images are oversize, when you post an image please remember Rule #3

Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Please resize and repost. - Thanks Norm

FlashlightNewb

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

Your images are oversize, when you post an image please remember Rule #3

Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Please resize and repost. - Thanks Norm

Sorry, it's been fixed.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy FlashlightNewb and welcome to CPF!

Yep, most newbies go for the bright lights, but just wait until you get your first sub 1 lumen light and find the joy of having a light that will run for close to a year (continuously) on one set of batteries.

By the way, a very nice video, thanks. I'll look forward to seeing more.