Still interest in long runtime AA?

wentworth

Newly Enlightened
When I joined the forum in 2009, long runtime AA lights like the CMG and Gerber infinity were still fairly popular.
At the time, I searched the net but couldn't rustle up any of the original paracord lug models. A couple of months ago I managed to buy a CMG Infinity and Infinity Ultra, four years later.
They're very solid, dim but useable lights. They were probably considered antique back in 2009, but I would be interested to see a modern take on a single mode, regulated AA light.

Is there any niche for an AA 10 lumen regulated light that runs forever? Or have they been completely overtaken by multimodes?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm certainly into long runtime 1xAAs, but I don't see any benefit to a single mode light, other than the UI simplicity which can be easily simulated by a number of programmable, memory, or dual mode lights. I would also like to believe that all these reputable mid-priced brands using advanced regulated drivers and state of the art LEDs are going to be far more efficient than a Gerber light (no offense intended). Price may be a different issue, but that didn't seem to be a focus point.

yifu

Enlightened
The Zebralight SC52 has a runtime of 27 hours at 12 lumens, which beats every other AA light in the world and is also one of the smallest. That same light also has a 500 lumen burst mode (with 14500) and a 0.01 lumen low that lasts 3 months. To me it just seem like there is no need for a single level light anymore.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 10 lumen lights, the Fenix E01 with an aaa is what I use. I do have a Gerber Omnivore ;) still in the package. It'll be my zombie apocalypse light LoL

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight SC52 has a runtime of 27 hours at 12 lumens, which beats every other AA light in the world....

On paper.....

I have the SC52 and have run it side-by-side with other efficient XML 1xAAs from Foursevens and Eagletac with a light meter and stopwatch. All three lights measure about the same efficiency for me, although the ZL specs claim ~ 2x the efficiency of the others on a lumen-hr basis. Interesting marketing strategy.

(I know Selfbuilt has "verified" the SC52 specs.... guess most other manufacturer must simply be too conservative.)

low

Enlightened
Is there any niche for an AA 10 lumen regulated light that runs forever? Or have they been completely overtaken by multimodes?

Why yes I do belive so, as long as it is a neutral high CRI.

jcw122

Enlightened
Pretty much taken over by multi-mode lights. There's simply no sense in having 1 long running mode yet having the ability to run higher levels when needed but not including it.

scout24

Flashaholic
I have an AA tube for my Arc AAA, an Arc AA, two Gerber infinities, and more EO1's than I care to admit. Simple and long running has it's place. We were without power for a week during Sandy, and knowing there were more than enough bombproof basic lights here was comforting. More/ different options would be welcome.

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
For me the Quark Tactical lights are the best of both worlds. Simple interface, but customizable and flexible enough to be whatever I want them to be. I can only speak for my AA model but mine is incredibly efficient with long runtimes.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
What are the drawbacks of having a 3 mode AA light (example: 3, 30, 90 lumens) verses a 1 mode 10lm light? Efficiency?

I'd rather have the option of a low-low and a high to cover more situations. That said, I'm more of a camping/travel kind of light user rather than survival/disaster prep so maybe not the target market for the light in question.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
The only issue with multimode lights is that there is sometimes parasitic drain. How much varies from light to light and in fact does not exist in all lights.

Racer

Enlightened
I would think my 4 mode L10's would hold their own in any run time contest on an AA eneloop. The T10 is also pretty efficient.

Imon

Enlightened
For 10 lumen lights, the Fenix E01 with an aaa is what I use. I do have a Gerber Omnivore ;) still in the package. It'll be my zombie apocalypse light LoL

The Omnivore would make a bad survival light.
It does only have a single mode (10-18 lumens depending on battery type IIRC) and the runtime is only about 5 hours. I think a Zebralight SC80 would be a better choice.

Imon

Enlightened
Omnivore can run on aaa, AA and cr123, used properly its as good, with less that can go wrong

The Omnivore does have the advantage of being able to run on AAA over the SC80.
The SC80 though can run on 14500, 17500, and 16340 along with AA and CR123a while having multiple modes and quadruple the runtime at the same output.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
How does QTC compare to normal (current/PWM) drivers for this purpose? Peak Logan 17500 takes pretty much anything that'll fit in (17500's, CR123, AA, AAA etc) and can get some quite nice low levels with a bit of care.

low

Enlightened
How does QTC compare to normal (current/PWM) drivers for this purpose? Peak Logan 17500 takes pretty much anything that'll fit in (17500's, CR123, AA, AAA etc) and can get some quite nice low levels with a bit of care.

I have one of these with the Nichia 219 and I would love to know more about the runtimes. The only way I can get mine to a very low low is to turn the head in and out a few times than adjust, otherwise in comes on full bore.

archimedes

Flashaholic

QTC is extremely efficient :twothumbs

I have one of these with the Nichia 219 and I would love to know more about the runtimes. The only way I can get mine to a very low low is to turn the head in and out a few times than adjust, otherwise in comes on full bore.

Here's some info, linked below ... :)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-test-DONE!&p=3689105&viewfull=1#post3689105