Mini-Review: TaoTronics ThorLite TT-TF03

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Mods - if you deem it appropriate to move this to the reviews section, please do so!)

I'm a sucker for gadgets and gizmos. Always have been. And being in my mid fifties, I've considered the possibility that my love of gadgets might subside just a bit.

Not. :eek:

So when Heather from TaoTronics contacted me asking if I would like to review one of their flashlights from their "Thor" line, I looked up TaoTronics online – it seems that this is a company – whether actual manufacturer or just importer – who has a similar love of gadgets.

How could I turn down a request from a company that loves gadgets like I do?

So literally a few days later the ThorLite TT-TF03 showed up at my door. First impressions are important, and the packaging impressed me. A square plastic "tube" – similar in concept to what "The Guy With No Name" used for his early runs of HF flashlights.

Contained within the packaging – the ThorLite, a nice nylon holster, an interesting lanyard with lobster claw and split ring, 2 extra o rings, an extra boot for the tail switch, and (thoughtful touch) a magnetic disc to use with non button top batteries.

Here is a screen capture of the instructions and specifications:

For those of you who have read my reviews before, you'll know that I offer less detailed and technical reviews than some of the better reviewers here (such as Selfbuilt.) But for 'reviewing' purposes I have come to trust my home made integrating sphere. So I dropped in 2 freshly charged AW 18650 cells (2200 mAh button top) and took the light to said sphere. Unfortunately the head of the light won't fit into the tube, so I couldn't get a truly accurate reading. Still, other lights have shown me that measuring at the outside end of the tube nets a result about 30% lower than when properly inserted, and using that logic I extrapolated a net reading of just above 700 lumen. This light is rated up to 12 volts – my battery configuration is only 8 volts – so I feel confident that the light could produce the rated 900 lumen output. Other similarly configured XML U2 based lights have produced 900 lumen with no problem.

Speaking of "similarly configured", does the light look familiar to anyone? ;) Nothing wrong with that – we see a number of lights these days that have similarities.

And it is a large light – here shown next to the Malkoff MDC – a single 123 cell light.

Large, deep reflector.

Nicely done tail switch with pseudo crenelations – allows easy access but will still tail stand. Although, it is quite heavy at the head so tail standing in an unstable environment might not be the best idea!

The internals of the tail switch – aluminum with a brass battery contact. Solid, beefy threads.

We have seen this before also – the emitter and PCB finished/framed with white plastic.

I didn't try an disassemble the light engine, so I don't know what kind of heat sinking is hidden under that white plastic. That said, this is a massive, aluminum light so I seriously doubt that overheating will be a problem.
Fully disassembled. Note the silver and black rings in the lower portion of the photo. These appear to be purely cosmetic. The silver ring moves back and forth and detracts from the otherwise 'solid feel' of the light. My recommendation to the manufacturer would be to do away with those 2 unnecessary pieces. If you want to highlight your name brand, it might be better to apply the logo to the rather large blank space on the side of the battery tube section. As it is, it leads one to believe that the light was built as a generic, then branded through the use of packaging and that silver ring. Nothing wrong with that I suppose – just looks cheap to me. Having said that, the light is built like a tank. I didn't torture test this light, but it looks every bit as robust as another light (from Taiwan) that I did torture. That light survived with no issues.

Close up of what I'm referring to:

Back side of the head:

But we all (at least I think we do) buy flashlights for one primary purpose – to provide light! This light was a pleasant surprise in that department. I don't know whether it is due to the evolution of the XML emitter or luck of the draw, but this light produces a very nice, almost snow white beam. The spot is well defined, and there's nice spill out to the edge. There is a bit of a corona at the outer edge of spill, but that wouldn't be noticed in actual use – only when "white walling." And as would be expected from such a large, deep reflector – it throws forever!

One of the best things (IMHO) about this light is the programming. Some people want blinky modes – some don't. This light can appeal to both. Out of the box it is a simple high-med-low. Nicely spaced levels at 900/272/20 lumen. Memory for last level used, and it works flawlessly. But if you want strobe or a beacon, enabling those features is VERY simple. Simply cycle the light to 'lo' and wait – after around 5 seconds the light will flash once. Turn the light off right after it flashes and you will have unlocked the tactical modes. Take the same steps to disable the tactical mode.

Verdict? A nice choice for a (ostensibly) long running, large, long throwing tactical light.

Pros –

• Easy to buy – Amazon, eBay, Newegg
  • 2 18650 or 4 123 battery configuration
  • Easy to operate and program
  • Long throw
  • Snow white beam with few artifacts
  • Solid construction
  • Useful accessories
  • Waterproof to IPX-8 standard
  • Reverse polarity protection
  • Global distribution with contact/support information for US and Europe as well as other countries

Cons –

• Somewhat limited warranty – not clear on the site whether 6 months or 12 months. Warranty claims not as simple as Surefire, Malkoff or some of the other manufacturers
  • "Cheesy" aluminum ring
  • Limited battery configuration – would like to see an additional battery tube for single cell or 2 18500.
  • Large

All that said, I could easily recommend this light to any of my non-flashaholic friends or family who wanted a beefy, tactical style light. And TaoTronics does market 2 other smaller lights.

I think it's worth a look! :thumbsup:

heather369

Newly Enlightened
We have created Amazon promotion code for CPF friends.
Just enter code FLF10VGD at checkout, CPF friends can get 10% discount for every TaoTronics ThorLite tactical flashlight.
The Amazon link are:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXSTLFE/?tag=cpf0b6-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXVNOHM/?tag=cpf0b6-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AW6XJ1Y/?tag=cpf0b6-20

BTW, you have the chance to receive a free flashlight mount. Details can refers to Amazon page-Special Offers and Product Promotions part.