3 Watt Luxeons-Am I missing something?

M

Newly Enlightened
Hello:
Are there any commercially produced lights with 3 watt luxeons, or are 3 watt lights solely produced by modders? I have done several searches in this forum, without finding a mass produced 3 watt light. Have I missed something or is there nothing to be missed? Thanks in advance.
Mike

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The only light I can think of is the InReTECH "TriLight-III", made by InReTECH.
It is a drop-in replacement for the incandescent bulb in your 4-cell Mag, or as a complete flashlight if you don't have a 4-cell Mag collecting dust somewhere.
I have a page about it right here if you're interested.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a company (can't recall at the moment) that is making MR-16 replacements for outdoor lighting that uses the 3W parts. Here's the link:

Optotech MR-16 LED's

CM

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike,

Give the manufactures a little time. The Luxeon IIIs have only been out about a month. By the way, they're closer to 4 watts then they are to 3 watts. Just thought you would like to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
So, just out of curiosity - Why the step backward? Didn't we go from 1W to 5W and now back to 3W? Was it because of the life expectancy of the 5W's?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i wouldn't consider the 3 to be a step backwards from the 5w...
it's a completely different application. higher power than a 1w, but tighter beam than the 5w with less power.

for most uses, the 1w still stomps a 5w in overal usability and edcness.

furthermore, i'd like to remind that they are luxeon three's, not threewatts.

Entropy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tylerdurden said:
The Luxeon-III isn't a step backward (IMO) from the 5-watter. It's just an evolved, more robust 1-watter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup. The 5W units use 4 1W dies (the 1W dies are actually about 1.25W each) in a 2series-2parallel configuration. As such, the 3W is an evolution of the 1W but is not much more expensive because it uses the same amount of semiconductor material.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Entropy said:
Yup. The 5W units use 4 1W dies (the 1W dies are actually about 1.25W each) in a 2series-2parallel configuration. As such, the 3W is an evolution of the 1W but is not much more expensive because it uses the same amount of semiconductor material.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha - Thanks fot the info. So if the 3W is more or less the same size as the 1W, then can we expect they'll stick 4 x 3W in a package similar to the 5W and make a 12W? Can anyone say "heatsink?" I'm assuming the 5W package wouldn't withstand the current/heat of this type of configuration.

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
From what i understand there is really nothing different between the 1 watt and luxeon 3 in terms of the LED die itself. The only difference is increased current capacity (thicker wire) and better thermal tolerance. So to put 4 1 watt dies or 4 luxeon 3 dies in a 5 watter package would be exactly the same thing. Correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I think they're capability claims are way overinflated!!! So does Aragorn!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif 120+ Lumens from a 3W LED /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

And that Blitzer light looks an awful lot like and old Brinkmann model...

[ QUOTE ]
herecomestrouble said:
i just bought there predator what a brght flashlight alot brighter than the surefire luxeon led flashlight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it! Hey "herecomestrouble", you wouldn't happen to work for or be associated with this ledmarketing.com company or brite-lite.com company would you? (looks like they're the same company with different webstores)

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened
Here's a thought,

If a 5W is 4 X 1W dies and a 3W now exists that is a thermally enhanced 1W, is the next jump a 4 X 3W thermally enhanced die configuration i.e. a 12W LS LED!

I'm looking forward to this if it is the case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris

yclo

Flashaholic*
Chris,

But the MR - (X or no X), is already driven at 1.5A's. Multiply that by a forward voltage of 7.2V gives you 10.8W's!

-YC

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yclo,

Would overdriving a 5 watt have the same output as driving a higher wattage lux at specs? I would have to think that a significant amount of the 1.5 amps is wasted in heat.

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened
Yclo,

Yeah, but the MR overdrives the 5W. I'm making the assumption 12W would be rated power, yet capable of overdriving too. Perhaps to 20W?

LIII Lux vs current I got today suggetsts overdriving the new 'thermal solution' die is a real possibility. For the record:

Setup = TWAK LIII, Hotlips HS, AS epoxy LED to Hotlips, Mag D host, UCL, distance to light meter = 1m.

Results, current then lux:

0.25 = 3480
0.5 = 5670
0.75 = 7480
1.0 = 8820
1.25 = 9970
1.5 = 10950
1.75 = 11700
2.0 = 12310

I also noticed lux dropped as temp/time rose doing the test. I allowed things to cool for 30 seconds or so then threw in the following:

2.25 = 13600
2.5 = 13700

As can be seen, lux vs current drops off as we approach 2A then there's not much to be gained after that when hot (cold gives outstanding results). Personally I'd stick with 2A max for the LIII. This assumes a premium heatsinking solution as was used.

Now a 12W thermally enhanced die config at 20W?

Chris