3 Volt Lithium in a Dorcy 3led AA?

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
Would a 3 Volt lithium AA damage the step up converter on a Dorcy 3led? My local electronic store has these at a much cheaper price than Energizer 1.5 volt lithiums.

red_robby

Enlightened
actually, from what I've tested, the voltage sits at 4.99
vdc , even with 3vdc in.
but the current might be too high for those poor leds(they are already over driven)

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will not damage the converter. It will drive the LEDs *very* hard though if it is a LiMnO2 3V lithium cell or hardly at all if it is a 3.6V memory backup type lithium cell.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
bluewater: "Would a 3 Volt lithium AA damage the step up converter on a Dorcy 3led? My local electronic store has these at a much cheaper price than Energizer 1.5 volt lithiums."

I have a Dorcy 3LED 1AA modified by MR Bulk with a Luxeon LED that might tolerate that type of battery. What's the make and model number of the lithium cell? Is the store part of a national chain in Canada? Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
Photon Boy....I noticed you picked up MR Bulks mod.... I'm intensely jealous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . I'm lucky enough to have one of only three outlets of "Sayal Electronics" in my town. They have very cheap prices on all kinds of electronic components, most of which I have no idea what the heck they are! They also have VERY good battery prices, usually about half of what you'd pay at Radio Shack or other national chains. Lithium 123's for $5.50 Cdn.......GP 2000MaH NiMh $19 for 4 etc...great store. http://www.sayal.com/

I didn't get details on the 3volt cells because I was doubtful that they'd work. I'll drop back in on Tuesday and let you know. If you want I can send some to you.

Blair

red_robby

Enlightened
Bluewater,
i get most of my electronics from them, some stuff is
even cheaper at Electro Sonic...