Anyone seen the new Orbita lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Just clicked on the ad over at the MarketPlace out of curiosity last night and decided to make a thread so we could discuss them, whether they bring anything new to the market or not.

The Orbita line of lights is from the famous maker of watchwinders of all things, and now they want to add flashlights.

Apparently all their lights are 18650, which is nice and uniform, and have 1000 lumen high level advertised in the old 5 level UI of High > Medium > Low > Strobe > SOS.

Don't care for their outdated UI personally, although it may still be what some of the general public thinks of as a good range of options.

They appear to be mostly designed for upwardly mobile individuals who have finally addressed the importance of having a light, but need it to be something with a higher level of 'class' than they would otherwise find on the store shelves.

Definitely not for me, or at least that's my first impression, but still worth having a thread where we can talk about them in a civilized manner.

They have what appears to be a flagship line called the Goldlight series, a somewhat unique, if not reminiscent of another light from the not too distant past, Lighthouse series and finally the Slimline series.

I doubt there will be much interest in these but it would be compelling to see someone mod the light engines on them giving them a wider range of appeal.

If you go to the main page of the site it's apparent that flashlights is an afterthought for them and to save time searching just use the above links here in this post.

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
Yeah, I was browsing CPF at work a few days ago and I noticed the ad. :whistle:

The Lighthouse flashlights looks exactly like the Gatlight. I was about to ask if they have some kind of association with one another ... but it just might be a clone of a clone... :ohgeez:

*Edit*
BTW: I'm not saying I know who came first and quite frankly I don't think I have enough interest to try and figure it out.
Also, the 5mm LEDs around the outside of the reflector is a nice touch - I don't recall the Lumencraft lights having those.

Last edited:

apache blue

Newly Enlightened
It took me a while to find the lights but I have to admit the gold line is actually tempting me. The UI isn't to my liking and until someone takes one for the team I've got no idea of tints, beam profile etc but my do they do look very stylish and the choice of materials is very cool.
I'm not really feeling the fake gatlight or the slim though, where the gold line looks classy the other two look like tat off eBay.

jcw122

Enlightened
I saw the CPF ad too, the Lighthouse reminds me of the Gat Light. They look like nice lights but I don't really see a market for these. The Goldlight series also says 1000 lumens max? Really?

Orbita Corp

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I was browsing CPF at work a few days ago and I noticed the ad. :whistle:

The Lighthouse flashlights looks exactly like the Gatlight. I was about to ask if they have some kind of association with one another ... but it just might be a clone of a clone... :ohgeez:

*Edit*
BTW: I'm not saying I know who came first and quite frankly I don't think I have enough interest to try and figure it out.
Also, the 5mm LEDs around the outside of the reflector is a nice touch - I don't recall the Lumencraft lights having those.

Surely, gatlight came first with their brilliant design. I tried to make a deal with them when we first started our flashlight development but they were not responsive and, I believe, out of business for the last 3 years, and off doing other things rather than this hobby business. in any event, their pricing was out of sisight so we set off on our own. Thanks for the input on the 5mm LEDS. With 150 hour batery life in that mode, one will be ready for thee next power outage.

Chuck Agnoff, Orbita Founder and currently, flashlight novice

Orbita Corp

Newly Enlightened
When I clicked on the ad link it took me to the home page for watch winders. Didn't find any flashlight links so I gave up.

Sorry about that. I am changing the website layout in response to your comment. Currently, one must first click COLLECTIONS, and then FLASHLIGHTS on the popup menu. Next week the popup will be up permanently so that the FLASHLIGHTS link will be readily apparent. Thanks for the input. Flashlights are new uncharted territory for ORBITA, but hopefully, in due course, we will prove to be as credible in that venue as we are in Watch Winders. The flurry of comments on CPF reminds me of when I started with ORBITA Watchwinders 15 years ago on the Timezone Forum site. We managed to win credabilty there and hope to do so eventually on CPF.

Chuck Agnoff Orbita's Founder

GLOCK18

Enlightened
The stainless model looks exactly like the one on another site, are the 5mm leds on the outside color or clear.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
A clone of a clone, that's entirely possible. Or they dressed up the clone and repackaged it as there own ?
If they advertise here, were is there representative?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure looks beautiful but one has to wonder much about heat sinking and heat transfer with all the exotic materials and 1000 lumens.

Orbita Corp

Newly Enlightened
The stainless model looks exactly like the one on another site, are the 5mm leds on the outside color or clear.

There are 8 LEDS spaced 45 degrees apart and all are cool white. They can be operated all together as a low power lantern or alternating two LED's at a time for use as a beacon. Chuck Agnoff, Orbita

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
" something with a higher level of class"
I agree with you not for me, I really don't care to dress up my "tools" I love flashlights but don't want them to be art or jewlery. Just built like a tank tool, that I can always count on. For me asthetics lie in the beam profile and tint itself, don't care if the body looks like its been too hell and back. (like a Boba Fett sheek P6 with great drop in.)
Guess that means I'm a Toyota not a Lexus kind of guy.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Sorry about that. I am changing the website layout in response to your comment. Currently, one must first click COLLECTIONS, and then FLASHLIGHTS on the popup menu. Next week the popup will be up permanently so that the FLASHLIGHTS link will be readily apparent. Thanks for the input. Flashlights are new uncharted territory for ORBITA, but hopefully, in due course, we will prove to be as credible in that venue as we are in Watch Winders. The flurry of comments on CPF reminds me of when I started with ORBITA Watchwinders 15 years ago on the Timezone Forum site. We managed to win credabilty there and hope to do so eventually on CPF.

Chuck Agnoff Orbita's Founder
I went through all that a couple times before searching around and finally finding the links I put up when I started this thread.

It's much better now that you added the more obvious link.

While you're here in this thread, and now belong to CPF, maybe you'd be the best one to give us some more pics and tell us more about the lineup if you don't mind?

Orbita Corp

Newly Enlightened
*Content removed by Greta. This goes beyond informational to advertising. Please restrict further discussions of this sort to the MarketPlace and Orbita Corp's sales threads in the Manufacturer's Corner.

Mr. Agnoff… Please take a moment to brush up on the
CPF/CPFMP Advertising Policies.

Thread closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.