anyone run three N cells in a mini mag?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I placed 3 of the N-cells in my mini mag and a take up spring.It will light an LED and looks pretty decent.The cells are very loose and seems to be kind of shaky.Anyone do this and find a way to make the 3 cells more snug?It sometimes does not make contact with my clickie switch and take up spring.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I did this to a Brinkmann 2AA Legend, sort of the short LGI in output. I wrapped a clear plastic but the an artist's paintbrush came in, after splitting it lengthwise, and cut a short piece of Al bar stock for a spacer (although your spring idea is better) and wrapped around its circumference with masking tape to isolate it from the inner walls of the tube.

Negeltu

Enlightened
I used a wood dowel with a resistor in a hole I drilled down the middle of it first. Later I tried a piece I cut off of a plastic vial. Both worked great.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I wrapped some tape around the batteries to take up a little room.I think it is going to work out fine.I drilled a hole in a piece of wood about the diameter of a AA cell and about 1/4 of an inch long.I threaded a spring through the hole(lenghtwise)and it sticks out a little on each end.This wood is the spacer and helps keep it a little tighter inside.I am using one 5mm blue LED rated at about 8000 mcd.Sunspot was kind enough to meet with me today and gave me 6 of these LEDs.It works and it is pretty bright for a quick mod.Kind of cool to have a mini mag with a blue LED.Any idea on the run time of three of these n cells?I am going to try to run two LEDs joined together when I get time.Will these n cells power two of these and will it be a little brighter?

RussH

Enlightened
My Mouser catalog shows NiCad Ns (.47x1.18") as 150mah. Better is 2/3AA (.57x1.18") at 270mah. The 2/3AAs are cheaper at $2.10 vs. $2.35, quantity of 10 is 20 cents cheaper for each, either size. Your spacer is more than .30 in. isn't it? I don't see any NiMH. But alkaline & lithium 2/3AAs are available. Of couse the voltage is too high with lithium @3.6...unless...3x3.6=10.8v, Hmmm...No, lets not go there.

Wylie

Enlightened
Yep it worked very well for a while but it turned out the LEDs were not matched so some of them got burnt and the body is now ready for a rebuild.
fcacb3fd.jpg

RussH

Enlightened
Uh oh, I've got mismatched LEDs in my CCrane trek light. That may explain what happened to one of the new ones (2 years ago) that recently went out. I suppose I'll replace all 4 of them (it came with 2) next time one goes away.