ArmyTek        
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: AA Flashlight (new single cell converter) addition to the series

Flashaholic

Default Re: AA Flashlight (new single cell converter) addition to the series

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    PSM, the mule on the Zenith body is gorgeous, isn't it. Unfortunately, the Zenith head doesn't look so good on any other e-series body and I don't have a spare Zenith body.
    Does it ever look good! Almost as if they were made together! Well done Yoyoman!

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

PSM, the mule on the Zenith body is gorgeous, isn't it. Unfortunately, the Zenith head doesn't look so good on any other e-series body and I don't have a spare Zenith body.
    Yep but you could Lego as needed though. I will probably end up getting a AA mule when funds permit. Too bad the Mule head can't run on both battery chemistries though. (Nimh and li ion)

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Yep but you could Lego as needed though. I will probably end up getting a AA mule when funds permit. Too bad the Mule head can't run on both battery chemistries though. (Nimh and li ion)
    Not sure if I'm understanding your post, PSM ... but this (McGizmo) converter can safely run ~0.8 ~ 4.5 V according to the OP in this thread. Yes, it will not be efficient at higher voltages, limiting current and wasting energy as extra heat. That is the trade-off, according to the answer to my question, posted here -

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post4191482
    Last edited by archimedes; 11-30-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Not sure if I'm understanding your post, PSM ... but this (McGizmo) converter can safely run ~0.8 ~ 4.5 V according to the OP in this thread. Yes, it will not be efficient at higher voltages, limiting current and wasting energy as extra heat. That is the trade-off, according to the answer to my question, posted here -

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post4191482
    Ha! That's right! I forgot about that, even though I knew it. LOL.

Thanks Don!

I Just sent you an email to purchase your Haiku AA Hi CRI ! Thanks again!

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Just to be 100% clear here! I can buy this New AA converter in a Haiku head, and AA battery pack, which I can run a single AA; 2 AAs in the 2 AA pack; and then put the AA Converted Haiku head on a single CR123A pack, and the AA converted head will work across all these battery mediums?

Is this correct? Just want to confirm this because it makes this system one of, if not the most versatile designed systems there is, and it is also a custom system which makes it that much nicer.

Back to to the new converter, am I correct in the operation of this system? Because, I am in for the Haiku AA converter, and AA pack as a wonderful compliment to a flashlight system I use and carry, and travel with daily.

This is system just keeps getting better and better.

Thank you for the information,

Best wishes.

RL

ADD: Also, a simple accessory holder/spacer could allow the use of CR2 batteries as well. Does anyone make a Delrin sleeve and metal spacer to make the use of CR2 batteries? Being able to use CR2 batteries in an emergency would really compliment this system, and the adapter to do it would be easy and inexpensive to make.
    Last edited by RedLed; 02-03-2015 at 09:16 AM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Default AA Flashlight (new single cell converter) addition to the series

Short answer is yes. It will even survive a rcr123 or 18650 up to 4.2v. Having said that anything above 3.2v will be eaten up but will not be what you see as light but what you feel as heat.

Quote Originally Posted by BenChiew View Post
    Short answer is yes. It will even survive a rcr123 or 18650 up to 4.2v. Having said that anything above 3.2v will be eaten up but will not be what you see as light but what you feel as heat.
    So the converted head works as a AA and CR123 single! This is fantastic!

What is your experience with using this system? This system is next on my list!

Thanks,

RL

It does take a number of battery combo. But most get this for the ability of using readily available AA battery. If using that, you will get around 100 lumens on high for under 2 hours. Almost no heat detected at this drive level.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    I want to mention, that while this combo looks amazing, the electronic switch cannot be done quick enough to change modes. However strikes to the back of the lights breaks contact long enough to change modes.

Quote Originally Posted by BenChiew View Post
    It does take a number of battery combo. But most get this for the ability of using readily available AA battery. If using that, you will get around 100 lumens on high for under 2 hours. Almost no heat detected at this drive level.
    Thank you so much, I'm in for this!

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    I want to mention, that while this combo looks amazing, the electronic switch cannot be done quick enough to change modes. However strikes to the back of the lights breaks contact long enough to change modes.
    PSM,

Are you saying it does not switch in the fashion we are used to in our other McGiz products? Love that knurled battery pack, very nice!

Thanks for the help here.

Best,

NR

Quote Originally Posted by RedLed View Post
    PSM,

Are you saying it does not switch in the fashion we are used to in our other McGiz products? Love that knurled battery pack, very nice!

Thanks for the help here.

Best,

NR
    Correct, the Zenith runs electronic switch with no momentary. No way to switch it quick enough to switch modes. Bummer!! Looks and feels great though. Awesome for single mode though!

PSM, you caught me. I put this together, but didn't put a cell in it. It does look beautiful. It also looks (and works) get with the Zenith head.

PSM, you caught me. I put this together, but didn't put a cell in it. It does look beautiful. It also looks (and works) get with the Zenith head.
    Yep, the only way to switch modes is smack the tail. lol

for one Haiku AA head with XP-G2. Thanks Don!

I just mailed to Don for a Haiku AA XP-G2 based on his recommendation. Great guy, very patient and instructive.

Now I am looking forward to get the notice and then paying. The shipment to Europe is not so sweet (extra VAT) and fast as your USA domestic ones though.

It's a wonderful light. A true classic and loved by many. Hope it brings you much enjoyment.
    Thanks, CPF!

Shipped: Haiku AA XP-G2 w/ 14-20 clip!

Just got my first Mcgizmo Haiku AA XP-G2! Like it! Thanks, Don.

My first observations:

Like:
    1. Bean quality is super - The beam quality is really one of best from my collections, in parallel with Peak LED. Now I went back to check the beam of HDS Rotary 219B 4500K, finding out more artifacts there.
    a. after the hotspot, then the spill, and then you can see a darker ring in the outer part and then finally followed by the a little brighter edge
    b. the spill part is a little differently colored

These two do not exit with Haiku XP-G2! The first point (dark ring) I reported last year in that very long HDS post, but was attacked by many, but for sure also got support from some owners who also find this problem.

2. Tint and color rendering - Both at 4500k, XP-G2 is a little rosy and 219B is a little green/yellow. Both are very lightly and very comfortable to watch at night. 219B should be better, but the difference is really little.

3. Design, build, quality is unmatched, is really like a piece of art. My first all Ti light. Addicted already. Will get more when funded

Dislike:
    1. McClicky - too long movement, too loud and noisy. The first 1mm is to press down the rubber to touch the real button to enable tactical on. Why the 1mm space there just to feel the rubber? To avoid mistaken operation? Don't understand. Then the constant on need a very pressing down. The sound is also very loud and noisy. On and off sounds are different. On sound is louder and metallic and vibrating. I prefer the button of HDS.

2. Clip is too strong - maybe it is for security to avoid unnoticed slip away. And the 1/4 20 tap hole is ugly due to the thread. If you care most about the appearance, I recommend not to choose this option.

3. low is not low enough. Low and medium is too close spaced. I wish the low can be around 3-5 lumens, not 10 lumens.

But all in all, a fantastic flashlight. I will keep it in my collection for sure.

Now I am already thinking about getting a Sundrop 119V. I have a Peak LED mule 219 and don't like the beam style very much.
    Last edited by rickyro; 07-09-2015 at 05:42 AM.

So if I put a AA Haiku head on a 2xAA body, does it put out more lumens, or have a longer runtime, or no difference compared to a 1xAA body?
    Sorry for the newbie question.

Quote Originally Posted by qmtu View Post
    So if I put a AA Haiku head on a 2xAA body, does it put out more lumens, or have a longer runtime, or no difference compared to a 1xAA body?
    Sorry for the newbie question.
    The output will be the same with the only difference being twice if not a bit more, run time.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Unenlightened

Hi guys been signed up for a while but new here, just sent don an email for a new haiku aa. Just wondering but how do we know if he received email? Does he respond to it? Was reading the op but it seems like he will just mail us a tracking when it's done? Thanks much guys can't wait to get my first mcgizmo! Now a new expensive hobby lol after custom knives now custom lights.

Paypal sent! Cant wait for her to arrive thanks much Don!
    Last edited by hapasnyper; 08-28-2015 at 12:33 AM.

He will send you tracking with total to send him via PayPal in the email subject line. Send PayPal, enjoy your light.

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask a question regarding the AA Haiku. I've made effort to research in order learn, but I'm not certain, and hope someone can help me before ordering. I do know that I want the AA Haiku. Aside from general purpose, my specific use is for photographing knives and other EDC tools. In nice weather, I like to shoot in late pm. That's not always possible. So my question is which version, Hi-Cree or XM L will give me the closest approximation to late pm Sun. Thank you for any response.

Probably XP-G2

This is to express my thanks to Don. I'm in the knife community, as well as now in the light community. Don is one of a kind. Not only is he a creative genius, but he is an extremely well organized businessman. I emailed an order for my first McGismo, and expected a long wait. Instead, I have a tracking number the same day for a 1AA Haiku Hi CRI with clip. Amazing.
    Last edited by cigarrodog; 08-30-2015 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarrodog View Post
    This is to express my thanks to Don. I'm in the knife community, as well as now in the light community. Don is one of a kind. Not only is he a creative genius, but he is an extremely well organized businessman. I emailed an order for my first McGismo, and expected a long wait. Instead, I have a tracking number the same day for a 1AA Haiku Hi CRI with clip. Amazing.
    heck yeah man!
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cigarrodog View Post
    It's nice isn't it? Not often do you get this level of service. This is really premium service.
    Last edited by RedLed; 09-07-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Love the AA, I want a Haiku in single AA.
    Last edited by RedLed; 09-07-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast