Will Nichia produce a larger, higher output HCRI LED?

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like all of my lights that use the Nichia 219 LED. The tint and color rendering is perfect to me. Output is lacking though.

I also have some XM-L2 T6 lights that have a very pleasing tint but aren't as good at color rendering. What I love about the XM-L2's is the abundance of light.

Will Nichia produce an "equivalent to" or even higher output :naughty: 219 successor with the same color rendering characteristics? That would be sweet!

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Probably, eventually! Maybe a 319? I like the compatibility with Cree XP series, maybe they could do a 219 varient for XM-L?

If you're looking for more output, have you looked into a triple 219 P60 drop-in? (Masses of high-CRI lumens but not very throwy if that's important to you)

jcw122

Enlightened
The 219 is actually more efficient than a 90 CRI XM-L (according to their spec sheets). So I don't think it's really lacking, but the lights that use it might not drive it as hard. That or the 219 cannot be driven as hard as the XM-L (which could be the case, I'm not sure what the safe ranges are for either light).

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm no expert but it seems as though the 219 is usually driven at 1.5a or less. XM-L's often get driven up to 4a.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 219 is actually more efficient than a 90 CRI XM-L (according to their spec sheets). So I don't think it's really lacking, but the lights that use it might not drive it as hard. That or the 219 cannot be driven as hard as the XM-L (which could be the case, I'm not sure what the safe ranges are for either light).

I suspect the earlier poster was comparing a 219 to neutral or cool white lower CRI XM-L2. In that case the XM-L2 produces vastly more light.

I've recently experimented with some modded pocket lights using triple emitters. I have one currently running triple 4500k Nichia 219 92 CRI emitters at 4 amps (1.33 amps per emitter), powered by an IMR 14500. I also have a separate light running triple XP-G2 5000k neutral at 5 amps (1.67 amps per emitter), powered by IMR 18350.

The triple Nichia produces a beautiful even tint, but even with three emitters, the output doesn't really wow. I estimate maybe 500 lumens. In contrast, the triple XP-G2 produces a massive wall of light. Probably around 1000+ out the front.... so bright that if you run the 2 lights side-by-side at max, the Nichia doesn't look like it's doing anything.

Even when I swapped the emitters in the lights, the XP-G2 still blows the Nichia away in output.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Probably, eventually! Maybe a 319? I like the compatibility with Cree XP series, maybe they could do a 219 varient for XM-L?

If you're looking for more output, have you looked into a triple 219 P60 drop-in? (Masses of high-CRI lumens but not very throwy if that's important to you)

I always had hope that a 319 would have a 5600K tint at 92 CRI.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nichia 219 are B10 bin, I think the B15 can take more amperage but I don't know if they sell them in hi cri yet