Nitecore MT2A - a layman's review. Includes pics, specifications and timelapse video.

Swede74

Enlightened
Nitecore MT2A - a layman's review.

** Unfortunately the timelapse video mentioned in the thread title is no longer available, due to a closed YouTube account. It wasn't very good anyway :naughty: **

Nitecore MT2A is one of two members of Nitecore's "Multi-Task Series" powered by readily available AA-cells. There is also the MT1A; the number in the model name indicates the number of cells needed. The other members of the Multi-task series are powered by 1-4 CR123 primary or 1-2 rechargeable 18650 Li-Ion cells.

The light source in the MT2A is a Cree XP-G R5 LED, a LED that is somewhat outdated, but what it lacks in newness, it makes up for in being well tested and, to the best of my knowledge, reliable. Moreover, in the MT2A it puts out a respectable 280 lumen (according to Nitecore's specs); even more according to other reviews.

The XP-G is certainly capable of delivering much more than 280 lumen, but the fact that it is not driven particularly hard in a light that can transfer heat more efficiently than the average 1xAA or 1xCR123 light makes me comfortable running the MT2A on the highest setting continuously until the cells are depleted.

The MT2A has two modes, or six, depending on how you look at it. With the head tightened, you get the maximum output. Nitecore calls this "Turbo". With the head slightly loosened, you get the user-defined mode. By pressing the switch repeatedly until the light comes on, but not so hard that you hear a click (this is sometimes referred to as half-press or soft-press), the light cycles through five settings: High-Medium-Low-SOS-Strobe; to memorize a setting fully press the switch. The light will remember the selected setting through battery changes and tail-cap lockouts.

Surprisingly, the low mode which according to Nitecore is 15 lumen, looks more like 5 lumen to me. I compared it side-by-side to my Zebralight SC52, and the MT2A seems only marginally brighter than the SC52 on 2.5 lumen, and noticeably less bright than the SC52 on 8 lumen.

comp2u.jpg

The good:

*Good throw for its class
*Flat surfaces on the body work rather well as an anti-roll feature
*Combines simplicity and customizability - if it's not a word yet, let's make it one, shall we?
*Anodized threads for tail-cap lockout
*The switch is fairly stiff, but not to the point where it is hard to press. Although accidental momentary (soft-press) activation may occur when the light is carried in a pocket or backpack, it seems unlikely (but of course possible) that the light would come on and stay on by accident, when not locked out.
*There are two holes in the tail-cap that serve as attachment points for a lanyard, but unlike many other lights, these holes are large enough to accommodate for instance a makeshift hook made out of a paperclip. See pic below.

The bad:

The light can tailstand, but due to the shape of the tail-cap it does this poorly. It will tip over if nudged gently – in fact, it takes stronger lungs to blow out the candles on a birthday cake than to blow down a tailstanding MT2A :)

The ugly:

This pocket clip itself is neither uglier nor prettier than any other clip I have seen – I guess "bland" would be a good word to describe it. However, with the exception of 2xAAA penlights, a light taller than the average single AA format with a clip mounted on it, is never going to be a marvel of beauty.

For a few dollars more...

...you can get the EagleTac D25A2, Olight T25 of Fenix LD22 with the newer XP-G2. Note that some of these may be available in XP-G versions as well.

Several online stores sell this light for ~40 USD

Gallery

img201304251447022.jpg

img201304251448592.jpg

img201304251449412.jpg

img201304251450572.jpg

img201304251428352.jpg

img201304251428482.jpg

img201304251541342.jpg

Anodized threads, connect to tailcap

img201304251438592.jpg

Not anodized threads, connect to head

img201304251427142.jpg

img201304251543332.jpg

img201304251544262.jpg

img201304251557312.jpg

From left to right: AA-cell, Nitecore MT2A, LedLenser L7, Generic "cheapo" 2xAA incandescent. Unfortunately, the MT2A is the only well-known
2xAA LED light I have, which is why I had to choose lights from other classes for the comparison picture.

bildnx.jpg

img201304251609052.jpg

Package dimensions [mm] 180 (215) * 100 * 32.
(215 including the top part that has a hole in it)
img201304251611592.jpg

img201304251859472.jpg

Pending MacGyver's seal of approval...

Link to extended gallery:
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10122012/

Specifications according to Nitecore's website:

Features
LED Premium CREE XP-G R5 LED
Maximum output of up to 280 lumens
High efficiency current circuit board
Maximum runtime of up to 50 hours
Two rapid switching modes suit various user requirements.
User-defined mode allows for customized brightness levels and a multitude of functions
Intelligent memory functions
Anti-rolling design
Reverse polarity protection
Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
Aluminum reflector ensures a smooth and powerful beam
Aero grade aluminum alloy
HA III Military grade hard anodized
Detachable two-way anti-rolling clip
Purpose-made rhombic knurling for better grip
IPX-8 standard waterproof (submersible to two meters)

Dimensions
Length: 155mm
Head Diameter: 22.56mm
Tail Diameter: 21.5mm
Weight: 67grams (without battery)

Accessories
Clip, lanyard, spare plastic cap, and spare O-ring

Link to Nitecore's website:
http://www.nitecore.com/productList.aspx?cid=114

Last edited:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently discovered that Nitecore did an update for this torch.
Now the power is 345 lumens, on the site Nitecore still there are the old technical data.

These are the new technical data:
Turbo – 345 lumens: 2 hour 15 minute runtime
High – 138 lumens: 5 hour runtime
Mid: 55 lumens: 12 hour runtime
Low: 17 lumens: 50 hour runtime
152m (beam distance)
5800 cd

Seems like a good upgrade

(Translate with Google)

Swede74

Enlightened
I recently discovered that Nitecore did an update for this torch.
Now the power is 345 lumens, on the site Nitecore still there are the old technical data.

These are the new technical data:
Turbo – 345 lumens: 2 hour 15 minute runtime
High – 138 lumens: 5 hour runtime
Mid: 55 lumens: 12 hour runtime
Low: 17 lumens: 50 hour runtime
152m (beam distance)
5800 cd

Seems like a good upgrade

(Translate with Google)

Yes, I think they have upgraded the led too, from XPG R5 to XP-G2 R5. The new specifications can be found in their product catalogue.

http://www.nitecore.com/UploadFile/Files/download/1-1_NC2015_Catalog_EN_14_12_04_for web.pdf

Capture.jpg

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on your beam profile preference, this upgrade now makes it a tougher choice between the MT2a & their 260 lumen MT21a, which is also for some reason the only multi task model that does not come with the tailstandable tailcap. Every other mt from the single cells to the giant mt40 even has it.

Swede74

Enlightened
In my last post I forgot to mention a long-term observation: the MT2A and its baby brother, the MT1A, are somewhat prone to accidental mode switching. Mode switching, or rather programming of the user defined mode, is done by soft-pressing the switch, or by rapidly turning the light on and off. However, unless the head is sufficiently loosened (about a quarter of a turn or more) you can advance through the different modes by compressing the light (pushing the head towards the body).

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought today a MT2A but it will take 30 to 40 days to arrive at destination.
I'm curious to make a comparison, I have the MT21A and EA21.
From MT21A I had a good impression, I think with the MT2A could be just as happy.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore MT2A was delivered to me.
I really liked this upgrade, I made a photo comparison with the MT21A.
These two flashlights Nitecore are both beautiful, clearly MT2A on short and medium distance prevails.
I must say that between the two torches prefer MT2A, it has a little less throw than a spot but bigger.
(translate with Google)

animated GIF:

CzTotm.gif

BeRMoG.gif

pIPYw2.gif

Swede74

Enlightened
The Nitecore MT2A was delivered to me.
I really liked this upgrade, I made a photo comparison with the MT21A.

I'm glad to hear you're happy with your MT2A. Thank you for the photo comparison and for keeping my review alive :) Your beamshots are excellent, as always.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Swede74 and UnderPar

Tonight there was a bit of haze but I made three other photos.

The MT2A is very pleasant and the difference in throw is little.
The MT21A has a power button more accessible even with gloves.

t0FqhZ.gif

Trees about 95 meters (high humidity and haze)

BPsX3U.gif

h8khNF.gif

Last edited:

Caleb5995000

Newly Enlightened
I have the MT2A advertised at 345 lumens. I read somewhere that it can take 14500 cells. This seems wrong to me.

Can anyone verify? If I do try using 14500 cells, can someone more knowledgable than myself make an educated guess at how the flashlight will respond?

Thanks!

Last edited:

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
I own the MT2A and MT1A and love them both. Simple to use and memory for the last mode when not turbo.

Neither support 14500 cells officially.

If you want a 14500 IMR light get the MT10A.