• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Open! MT-G2 Regulated 2x18350 Lights! (Preorder)

darkknightlight

Enlightened
(Open) MT-G2 Regulated 2x18350 Lights! (Preorder)

UPDATE 8-21-13: I AM OPEN FOR M2 ORDERS, AND AM STILL WORKING ON THE ISSUE WITH THE T10B.
I am very grateful to member Ledmitter nli, who has taken some very nice photos of the M2 host; they can been seen on pages 9 and 10 of this thread.
Now, onwards...

I'd like to offer for preorder three versions of lights built around Cree's MT-G2 emitter. All three lights are very floody due to the size of the MT-G2. The Convoy M2 has nearly zero hotspot, and the T10(B) hosts have a very large hotspot.

[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/IMG]
Top: T10
Middle: Convoy M2
Bottom: Solarforce L2m (for perspective)

m8eopj_zpsad5022cf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Photo courtesy of
ledmitter nli

The Convoy M2 host is the second build option. It runs from two (IMR only!) 18350 cells – I prefer AW brand. This host is HA-III. I open up the reflector by hand for a perfect fit around the MT-G2 emitter. This also comes with flat and crenellated stainless steel bezels. The light has a reverse clicky switch, but can be modded to a forward clicky. This light is the same size as a standard P60 host, but with the added benefit of being designed around an led, so the heat dissipation is much better.

2rcsrc1_zpsbd5d8da1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Photo courtesy of ledmitter nli
M2 reflector and driver view.

Because of the way the M2 is designed, there is no room for a positive spring on the driver; therefore the only spring is in the tailswitch. The M2 comes with a glow in the dark switch boot and lens o-ring.

UPDATED (8-21-13) Pricing:

M2 host: $180
This includes a 5000k MT-G2 mounted to a copper PCB, forward or reverse click switch, and your choice of driver:

All drivers have mode memory
3 amp h-m-l (100%, 35%, 5%)
3 amp l-h-m (5%, 100%, 35%)
2.8 amp h-l-strobe (100%, 35%, Strobe)
5 amp* l-m-h-Direct Drive (.1A, .5A, 2.25A, DD-steps down after 120 seconds)
Direct Drive is how the driver is advertised, though technically it is not direct drive; the voltage is controlled by the driver, and the one I've tested was unable to go above 4.5 amps. This is a use at your own risk driver; I do not recommend going above Cree's 3 amp maximum.

Shipping $10 USPS with DC and insurance. (Con US only – I have no experience shipping overseas. If you live overseas and want a light, please PM me; I'll have to figure out what steps I need to take.)

The next build option is the grey HA-III T10 host. It runs from two (IMR Only!!) 18350 cells. It is 155mm long with a head diameter of 39mm. This host comes standard with a reverse click switch, but can modded to a forward click switch if desired.
I also offer the same build options with the T10B host; it is a black version of the pictured T10, but with an 18650 extension so the light can be operated from 2x IMR 18350 or 2x 18650. Both hosts come with a glow in the dark switch boot.

T10 host, 5000k on copper pcb: (NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING ORDERS)

Options
3000k 90 CRI, aluminum pcb ($ varies with shipping costs from Cutter)
4000k Standard CRI, aluminum pcb ($varies with shipping costs from Cutter)

3amp h-m-l:
2.8amp h-l-strobe:
3.5amp* h-m-l :
5amp* l-m-h-Direct Drive:
*Copper pcb ONLY! Direct Drive is how the driver is advertised, though technically it is not direct drive; the voltage is controlled by the driver, and the one I've tested was unable to go above 4.5 amps. These are use at your own risk drivers; I do not recommend going above Cree's 3 amp maximum.
Shipping $10 USPS with DCand insurance. (Con US only – I have no experience shipping overseas. If you live overseas and want a light, please PM me; I'll have to figure out what steps I need to take.)

UPDATE:
T10B host (Black T10 w/ 1x 18650 extender), 5000k on copper pcb: (NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING ORDERS)

Options
3000k 90 CRI, aluminum pcb ($ varies with shipping costs from Cutter)
4000k Standard CRI, aluminum pcb ($varies with shipping costs from Cutter)

3 amp h-m-l:
2.8 amp h-l-strobe:
3.5amp* h-m-l :
5amp* l-m-h-Direct Drive:
*Copper pcb ONLY! Direct Drive is how the driver is advertised, though technically it is not direct drive; the voltage is controlled by the driver, and the one I've tested was unable to go above 4.5 amps.
These are use at your own risk drivers; I do not recommend going above Cree's 3 amp maximum.

Shipping $10 USPS with DC and insurance. (Con US only – I have no experience shipping overseas. If you live overseas and want a light, please PM me; I'll have to figure out what steps I need to take.)

[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/IMG]
T10 tail with removable grip ring and tail shrowd.

[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/IMG]
M2 head on left, T10 head on right.

The below beam shots are of the M2; I'll have to wait for darkness to get some of the T10. I discovered after posting these shots that my camera was automatically adjusting the exposure; the beams are brighter than they appear in these pictures.

M2 head, 3000k 90CRI Low. Approximately 15 feet from garage door.

M2 head, 3000k 90CRI Medium. Approximately 15 feet from garage door.

M2 head, 300k 90CRI. High. Approximately 15 feet from garage door.

I thought an xm-l in a P60 was floody…but this MT-G2 redefines the term! It is almost as floody as a P60 with diffusion film; the difference being that the light from the MT-G2 is thrown farther due to the sheer power. Speaking of power, these hosts get warm at 30 seconds and HOT after about 3 minutes on high. I cannot recommend using high mode for longer than that; please do so at your own risk!

Paypal:
turboz813(at) msn (dot) com
Please include your CPF username in paypal notes

I will do this as a Preorder; I'm thinking for a total of 5 lights. Please express interest in this thread; once the list has filled I will accept payment.

Because this is a preorder, there will be approximately a 5 week wait time between ordering parts and shipping out lights. Three weeks for the parts to get to me, and two weeks to get the lights all put together and shipped. I will update this thread as I receive the ordered parts.

Please post any questions you have and I will get back to you with answers as soon as I can. And thank you for bearing with me in my first sales thread!

-Zach

Those of you that have expressed interest to me via PM, please post in this thread if you would like your name added to the list.
INTEREST LIST
(Currently M2 host only):

Last edited:

texas cop

Enlightened
Re: MT-G2 Regulated 2x18350 Lights! (Preorder)

I'm very interested in these lights, I already on my second MT-G2. Both being much larger, the M1 or M2 with a 5000K tint would be a welcome addition. Your price is very reasonable. The stability of these drivers is the lynch pin on the deal. 3 amps/6.5 volts its a bit more than any XM-L is putting out, close to 2000 lumens.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any way to push them harder than 3 amps? The MTG2 isn't even seeing cruising altitude with 3A.

I'd want a H > M > L as well.

darkknightlight

Enlightened

Yikes! I didn't realize i hadn't actually put which driver I'm using. Its the KD super output SSC driver. I'd like to say i know how to alter the driver to push the emitter harder, but i don't :(

There are two other drivers that i can likely get into the hosts, but i do not have the specs in front of me; i will look when i get home to see if one of them is h-m-l.

To be honest, given how these smaller hosts heat up quickly on high, i would be hesitant to push much harder than 3 amps. If it was mounted to a copper pcb in a larger host I'd be more inclined to give it a go. I will see what other drivers i can find though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm fascinated by the machine work and pill installation. Looks very clean and professional.

I'd order an M2 if it was H > M > L. Also assuming modes are changed using momentary tail button presses.

If there's a way to push them a little harder (even if a custom request) I'd opt in.

darkknightlight

Enlightened

I'm very interested in these lights, I already on my second MT-G2. Both being much larger, the M1 or M2 with a 5000K tint would be a welcome addition. Your price is very reasonable. The stability of these drivers is the lynch pin on the deal. 3 amps/6.5 volts its a bit more than any XM-L is putting out, close to 2000 lumens.

I believe these drivers are pretty robust. I will be doing some "unscientific" edc testing over the next couple of days. I just ran hi mode for 3 minutes straight...made for a good hand warmer :) I should also know in the next couple days about the 5000k emitters.

-Zach

darkknightlight

Enlightened

I'm fascinated by the machine work and pill installation. Looks very clean and professional.

I'd order an M2 if it was H > M > L. Also assuming modes are changed using momentary tail button presses.

If there's a way to push them a little harder (even if a custom request) I'd opt in.

I just took a look at the other two drivers I have on hand; they are also both l-m-h. I'll have to look around a bit more online to see what else I can find. I know there is a 5 amp multimode driver on KD, but I'm pretty sure its got a 26mm board (which won't fit in the body of the light). Mode changes on this light are done with the tailswitch.

The machining on these hosts is pretty darn good, and the idea behind how the pill contacts the body and head is awesome. The anodizing has no flaws that I've found, and every piece fits together nicely. I'm really glad I stumbled across them.

texas cop

Enlightened

5 amps sounds nice but on a pair of 18350's we're looking at 8-10 minutes worth of runtime. 3 amps is very efficient for the MT-G2 allowing nearly double what the XM-L could do. 3 amps sounds great. I don't have either of these lights, will a SolarForce extension fit them? This could allow 2x18500 and 2x18650 flexibility.

darkknightlight

Enlightened

@ texas cop
I agree; 3 amps puts out a lot of light, and without overdriving the emitter. Unfortunately these hosts are not compatible with solarforce products. I will see if I can find an extension for them though. I do know of another host made by the same company (Convoy) that can be used as a 2x18350 or 2x18650 with its included extension. The head of that host is also just slightly larger than a standard Maglite head. Is that something you would be interested in? That host would increase costs by $30 over the price of the M1 I believe.

@ledmitter_nli
I found and ordered three more drivers this morning. Two for sure start on high, though I think one of the drivers may not work with the MTG2; we'll just have to wait and see. The third driver has three levels plus a "burst" mode that is supposed to deliver 4-5 amps for 120 seconds, it then throttles back to high mode. I'm sure I am beating a dead horse, but I feel the need to say that at 3 amps the led is running at about 19 watts...4-5 amps will be close to 30 watts. 30 watts is a lot of heat to be running through an aluminum pcb, even if for a few seconds. Hopefully I will be able to fit the driver into the pill though! These drivers should be here in the next two weeks.

Last edited:

texas cop

Enlightened

I see that their Convoy L1 is a 1/2 cell 18650 setup and the Convoy L2 is a 1/2 cell 18650/26650 setup. I personally am leaning towards the M1 for some throw with that 31mm lens and still small. L2 later on maybe, but I would still keep it at 3 amps. This make a very practical 1500-2000 lumen single led light with 4500 mil 26650's it would have some real run time. As far as getting that extra battery room in the M1 tighten the switch retaining ring. On most lights you can get upto an extra mm.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

@ texas cop
I agree; 3 amps puts out a lot of light, and without overdriving the emitter. Unfortunately these hosts are not compatible with solarforce products. I will see if I can find an extension for them though. I do know of another host made by the same company (Convoy) that can be used as a 2x18350 or 2x18650 with its included extension. The head of that host is also just slightly larger than a standard Maglite head. Is that something you would be interested in? That host would increase costs by $30 over the price of the M1 I believe.

@ledmitter_nli
I found and ordered three more drivers this morning. Two for sure start on high, though I think one of the drivers may not work with the MTG2; we'll just have to wait and see. The third driver has three levels plus a "burst" mode that is supposed to deliver 4-5 amps for 120 seconds, it then throttles back to high mode. I'm sure I am beating a dead horse, but I feel the need to say that at 3 amps the led is running at about 19 watts...4-5 amps will be close to 30 watts. 30 watts is a lot of heat to be running through an aluminum pcb, even if for a few seconds. Hopefully I will be able to fit the driver into the pill though! These drivers should be here in the next two weeks.

Does the 3-level burst driver start on High?

Yeah 30 watts is the sweet spot. :D

darkknightlight

Enlightened

I think what i have to do with the m1 is widen the driver opening so that i can actually fit the driver inside the pill. Thank you for the tip about the switch retaining ring though! I'll update tomorrow after I've worked on the host.

darkknightlight

Enlightened

Does the 3-level burst driver start on High?

Yeah 30 watts is the sweet spot. :D

It was unclear what level the burst driver started on, but it does have memory. I ordered it because it was the only one I could find that I thought might fit in the host and was able to overdrive the emitter. If it works and starts on burst, sweet! If not...back to the drawing board.

I also ordered a second set of IMR 18350s this morning, so I figured why not test the thermal shutdown tonight at work? Well, the light (M2) got darn hot and I had to turn it off at 2 minutes 39 seconds. That is the first time I have ever had to turn off a light due to heat... I assume that the thermal shutdown has a higher threshold than my hand.

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

One other question, how are you expanding the emitter hole diameter in the reflector? Drilling through it? You can't find them prefabricated? (Because I've seen them)

darkknightlight

Enlightened

One other question, how are you expanding the emitter hole diameter in the reflector? Drilling through it? You can't find them prefabricated? (Because I've seen them)

To expand the emitter hole in the m2 reflector i use a hand file. I have not been able to find a prefabricated reflector with the same overall dimensions. Where have you seen them? Thanks!
Zach

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

To expand the emitter hole in the m2 reflector i use a hand file. I have not been able to find a prefabricated reflector with the same overall dimensions. Where have you seen them? Thanks!
Zach

I've seen them in a MT-G2 P60 dropin :D Not sure where they're acquired.

darkknightlight

Enlightened

I've got a P60 drop in that will accept a MT-G2; I'll see if the reflector is directly compatible with the Convoy M2.
Also, I've ordered a new driver that is h-m-l; with high being 3.5 amps. Is that enough of an overdrive if the driver with a burst mode is unsuccessful?

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a P60 drop in that will accept a MT-G2; I'll see if the reflector is directly compatible with the Convoy M2.
Also, I've ordered a new driver that is h-m-l; with high being 3.5 amps. Is that enough of an overdrive if the driver with a burst mode is unsuccessful?

3.5A is about 2400 lumens with the 5000K That's pretty good. :D But I'd rather see what the burst version can do first and if it's a good pill fit for the M2. I've actually learned the hard way that the MT-G2 doesn't like 8.4 volts. LoLz.

What i'm looking for is a clean professional emitter, driver and pill installation. Things should be centered, the reflector should be pristine, the pill components aren't slapped and soldered together amateurishly. It should look like it came out of a factory, and run reliably (obviously within user constraint due to heat issues).

I'll pay a premium for quality work, but the engineering has to be good. If the burst driver doesn't work then H M L 3.5A is OK.

This site gets a lot of traffic. I think if you build it, they will come (look at the cotton pickers lithium charger thread in CPFM). Pocket torches this bright are unheard of until recently with the MT-G2. Not even the quad XP-G2 P60 dropins can compare. :grin2:

Hope this inspires you.

Last edited:

darkknightlight

Enlightened

Consider me inspired :)
the p60 reflector is too small for the m2 head. It fits, but rattles around because of the extra space.

Edit: i feel i need to address something. While i just indicated that i am "inspired" by the statements above, i would like to point out that i would not be comfortable selling something that looks slapped together and unprofessional. I am however by definition an "amateur." I do not own a factory, nor a machine shop.

I take great care to make sure all of my personal mods are clean and well executed.

If you decide to purchase a light from me, and feel you have received an inferior product, please contact me so that we can come to a positive conclusion.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

...I've ordered a new driver that is h-m-l; with high being 3.5 amps.

3.5A is about 2400 lumens with the 5000K That's pretty good. :D

Will this driver work properly with two 3.2v 32650 LiFePO4 cells in series?

Tests of the cell in question to be found here.

I am only concerned with the light running in high, but this driver looks like a good compromise if the other modes cannot be disabled.