SF E-Series Weapon Heads / IR Conversion

ghofhe

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to CPF as I normally was able to gather my lighting needs at retail, but things have changed. I can't find a any source of quality and dependable high output infrared lights which lead me here. I'm not a fan of combo white and ir lights like the V2 from surefire. I want to make a simple high output only clickie or momentary style light in a compact form factor. Think e2d with kx2c, but IR. Plan is to have a real thrower with minimal spill like the kx2c does in white and hopefully have a usable light out to 400-800m with Gen III NV. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried something similar with the surefire e-series heads? What are your thoughts? P.S. Is there a database that lists the model of led in surefire's offerings?

ghofhe

Newly Enlightened
Anyone willing to chime in? I don't know if what I posted was nonsense, but what I am trying to do is figure out which single output (2-cell) surefire heads (kx2c, kl4, maybe others?) contain what type of drivers, or what level of constant current they try to uphold, even what model of LED they contain would be helpful. I would like to compared them to current IR LED offerings and see if it would be as simple as reflowing an IR led in place of the white emitter and hopefully be able to reuse the optics if I find an IR emitter with similar specs. Thanks.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
your question is a good one, but....seems you are asking a question that no one can answer or does not have any experience of.
In this cases on has to try on his own....

form the outside the real question may be, what IR LEDs are in the market, what their driving voltage so the driver can cope, and what will be its lumen count?

foxtrot824

Enlightened
I think selecting the LED will be the tough part. I know Osram has an IR golden dragon but I'm not sure on the total output. The bonus of the golden dragon is the small die which is good for throw.

ghofhe

Newly Enlightened
Thank you both for responding, I am fine with experimenting on my own, but I would like to be able to find some background knowledge on the SF heads before I go ripping them apart. Namely I'm interested in finding out what leds are in the kx2 and kx2c heads so that I could find out what lighting angle, size, shape, drive current, etc they designed the SF optics. Would either of you know of a database for the leds or drivers used in the kx2 and kx2c?

As far as which led to choose for a replacement I have been looking at the Osram OSLON IR series, seems they are new to the market and automotive grade
http://www.mouser.com/Optoelectroni...cations/_/N-6qrgf?Keyword=osram+oslon&FS=True

Though these may have too high an output when driven to their 1A spec.

I own a SF M1 and that is enough to see around 60 to 70 yds in pitch darkness, the M1 is only 10mW and these leds put out more than 100 times that. I will look into the dragon line as you suggested.

Also would anyone know of a source for 2 cell e series bodies from SF?

Thanks
GhofHe

Epsilon

Enlightened
I own a SF M1 and that is enough to see around 60 to 70 yds in pitch darkness, the M1 is only 10mW and these leds put out more than 100 times that. I will look into the dragon line as you suggested.

According to the datasheet, these LEDS have ~950mW of output when pulse driven. This has to be focussed if you want to see around 400~800 meters with it, but maybe a normal reflector can do this, or even a aspheric lens.