Which do you prefer: TM26 or TN30 XM-L2

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
As awesome as the newer TM26 is, it seems that you are not getting a substantial increase in power for the increase in price. I would say you are getting very cool technology and a small footprint, but when I look at the specs, the TN30 seems to really outperform the TM26 in many ways, with respect to a practical, sustained beam of light (as opposed to just sheer horsepower per inch, where the TM26 is unparalleled):

TM26 (4x1860's:
level 1: 3lm, 100 hours;
level 2:95 lm, 48 hours;
level 3: 540 lm 8 hrs;
level 4: 1700 lm, 2.5 hours;
Turbo: 3500 lm for 45 min (but only 4 minutes or 60 deg C, then one minute bursts)

TN30 (on 3x1860's):
Level 1: 1.2 lm. 1200 hours;
Level 2: 45 lm. 75 hours;
Level 3: 422 lm. 10 hours;
Level 4: 1118 lm. 3.5 hours;
Level 5: 1580 lm, 2.3 hours;
Level 6 3338 lm, 1 hr

If I understand correctly the TM26 will slightly out perform the TN30 at a sustainable time of 2-3 hours by about 150 extra lumens: 1700, versus 1580. Whereas the TN30 will put out 3338 lm for an hour, compared to only short bursts of 3500 lm from the TM26. Do I have that correct, or is the TN30 subject to the same limitations at 3338 lum?

I have the TN30 on order, since it seemed like a rippin' deal for the power and high level of functionality of the UI. However, I must say, I still have a hankering for the TM26, for it's small size and cool UI with the OLED. They both have a good range of lumens, although the TN30 seems to do a lot more with 3/4's of the power supply.

(For anyone who hasn't looked at these lights yet, because I hate a post with no pics, some images from the web-- misleading, as the TM26 is the smaller light.)
TN30:
tn30_5.jpg
TM26:
nitecore_tm26_1.jpg

Frank1967

Enlightened
As awesome as the newer TM26 is, it seems that you are not getting a substantial increase in power for the increase in price. I would say you are getting very cool technology and a small footprint, but when I look at the specs, the TN30 seems to really outperform the TM26 in many ways, with respect to a practical, sustained beam of light (as opposed to just sheer horsepower per inch, where the TM26 is unparalleled):

With all due respect the Tn30 is a POS. I had the TN30 and have the TM26. The Tn30 has a well documented flickering issue. Also the beam is more filled with artifacts the moon has craters. Only comparison is that they have similar stated lumens.

TM26 (4x1860's:
level 1: 3lm, 100 hours;
level 2:95 lm, 48 hours;
level 3: 540 lm 8 hrs;
level 4: 1700 lm, 2.5 hours;
Turbo: 3500 lm for 45 min (but only 4 minutes or 60 deg C, then one minute bursts)

TN30 (on 3x1860's):
Level 1: 1.2 lm. 1200 hours;
Level 2: 45 lm. 75 hours;
Level 3: 422 lm. 10 hours;
Level 4: 1118 lm. 3.5 hours;
Level 5: 1580 lm, 2.3 hours;
Level 6 3338 lm, 1 hr

If I understand correctly the TM26 will slightly out perform the TN30 at a sustainable time of 2-3 hours by about 150 extra lumens: 1700, versus 1580. Whereas the TN30 will put out 3338 lm for an hour, compared to only short bursts of 3500 lm from the TM26. Do I have that correct, or is the TN30 subject to the same limitations at 3338 lum?

I have the TN30 on order, since it seemed like a rippin' deal for the power and high level of functionality of the UI. However, I must say, I still have a hankering for the TM26, for it's small size and cool UI with the OLED. They both have a good range of lumens, although the TN30 seems to do a lot more with 3/4's of the power supply.

(For anyone who hasn't looked at these lights yet, because I hate a post with no pics, some images from the web-- misleading, as the TM26 is the smaller light.)
TN30:
tn30_5.jpg
TM26:
nitecore_tm26_1.jpg

makapuu

Enlightened
I have the previous generation TN30 as well as the TM26.
As Frank1967 had mentioned, the TN30 beam is filled with artifacts. It looks like overlapping clover leaves or propeller blades.
On my TN30, the hotspot also has a dark donut surrounding it. I would suspect if the reflector design is unchanged, it would still be there with the XM-L2's.
I know a lot of people would regard a light as more floody if the flood is wide, and the TN30 has that.
But for me, I judge a flood light by how intensely bright the overall beam is.
I'm not concerned about the initial beamwidth, because that will naturally increase with more distance.
The TM26 has a very high quality beam. A nice fat hotspot smoothly flowing to a bright corona, and blending into a bright spill.
The beam is not that wide, but it is much more concentrated, with no holes, donuts and clover leaf pattern. Very clean.

Last edited:

Frank1967

Enlightened
I have the previous generation TN30 as well as the TM26.
As Frank1967 had mentioned, the TN30 beam is filled with artifacts. It looks like overlapping clover leaves or propeller blades.
On my TN30, the hotspot also has a dark donut surrounding it. I would suspect if the reflector design is unchanged, it would still be there with the XM-L2's.
I know a lot of people would regard a light as more floody if the flood is wide, and the TN30 has that.
But for me, I judge a flood light by how intensely bright the overall beam is.
I'm not concerned about the initial beamwidth, because that will naturally increase with more distance.
The TM26 has a very high quality beam. A nice fat hotspot smoothly flowing to a bright corona, and blending into a bright spill.
The beam is not that wide, but it is much more concentrated, with no holes, donuts and clover leaf pattern. Very clean.

Ditto!

fogflyer

Newly Enlightened
I absolutely love my TM26. The beam is amazing. One beautifully uniform beam with a strong center and lots of flood. You would never guess it was coming from a four reflector setup. One caveat though is that if the strobe function is important to you, you might look elsewhere. The strobe function requires a VERY quick double click that I can only seem to successfully accomplish about 1/4 of the time. Not too good for an emergency situation. (Edit- another forum member clued me in that you must HOLD the button down on the second click. This solved my problem activating the strobe. I can now activate that mode very reliably :))

I also own the Fenix TK75 and it is also a great light! Probably the better deal of the two, but I got hooked on the flood and LED display panel of the Tiny Monster. The build quality of both is top notch.

Last edited:

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
I was watching some youtube vids, and I saw exactly what you guys are talking about, with regards to artifacts, holes and cloverleaf pattern. Funny, the guys making the videos did not even mention it. Although the beam is uneven in the spill, the center is pretty homogenous. All in all, I think it is fine, but I will reserve judgement until I get it in hand. For 3300 lums at an hour runtime, and a heck of alotta candelas, with a really useful and advanced UI, I don't think I will agree that it is a POS, unless it looks really much more horrible in person then in the beam shot vids. The flickering can be easily fixed, or the light returned for one without the issue (maybe they fixed it by now, seems to be just a matter of cleaning the contact points on most of them).

I still want the TM26, though, for the small form factor, oled, cool UI, and pretty flood.