What event made you a flashaholic?

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I can tell you the moment that led me to a life long need for good flashlights. I was a young Officer not long out of the Academy and 21 years old. I was issued a 4C Mag and a Mini Mag, for my belt. I worked nights and while looking for what was reported as an armed individual on a long search, I watched the "Big Mag" go dim. I carried on with the Mini Mag and it's anemic beam, all ended well with the surrender of an unarmed kid, who was just snooping where he should not have been. However, that night in the early 90's left me with a feeling that I never want to encounter again. I quickly ordered the Surefire I had been seeing advertized and found a pouch that would hold 4 extra 123A's. The 6P light was more that I ever imagined I would pay for a flashlight but I still have that light some 22 years later.

I left the service 5 years ago in search of more money and solitude, and moved out of the city and to a small farm a mile away from any neighbors. The 6P and a couple of Streamlight Stingers came with me. Because they had become trused frineds in the years that had passed since the Mag went dim. But the LED revolution had begun, and I grabbed on with both hands. First with Fenix lights then with 6P upgrades, and now Several brands and a couple dozen or so LED lights. I am not ashamed to admit they are a bit of a secutity blanket for me. And I suspect that it will always be that way.

I imagine that many of you have a similar moment when all went dark and the importance of a flashlight was set in stone in your mind. Just wondering what that moment was? Or what light let you down, and to the CPF and a love of Flashlights?

yearnslow

Enlightened
Similar story. I was out hunting quite a few miles from anywhere, I stayed to long and it got dark. I always carried a mini-mag on my belt but never used it much, so when I switched it on and nothing happened, well, lets just say it was a LONG walk back to the car! I then bought a fenix L2D off a mate of mine and never looked back. Eventually the L2D packed up, I then bought a new PD30 Q5 and was awestruck at the power of this little thing (I still have it), also the first light I had owned that used CR123's. It then became a natural progression to only using CR123 lights and eventually to Surefires. In terms of run time and brightness, the fenix lights win, but I've NEVER had a Surefire let me down when out in the bush here, which is something worth considering when it's dark and there are hyenas and big cats about. Yeah, the batteries are expensive, but if your a 'user' like me, it doesn't matter.

bietjiedof

Newly Enlightened
It was very dark in the womb.
I'm with Teej - I don't remember a time when I wasn't in love with the idea of a powerful flashlight. As an infant, I loved being able to switch on a flashlight and beat back the darkness - even if it was not very effectively, for a short while, and at great expense. Fast forward 60 years, and it's all changed - at last!!

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most people are not flashaholics because: 1. They associate flashlights with 2-3 hour runtime. 2. They associate flashlights with low output--a pin prick of light on a wall. 3. Most brick and mortar store do little more than rip people off with crap lights. 3. Most people use their hands when they need a light, and think headlamp are nerdy. And it doesn't help that most head lamps do not have the runtime/output that flashlight possess.

Just like most people now own pressure washers, washing machines, lawn mowers, cars, and expensive vacuums-most people would be flashaholics, if all lights had updated leds, the best drivers possible, great optics, and a better target runtimes, people would buy if in the $40-$60 range--and in the stores. Though it would be like the overthrow of MicroSoft IE., it would be exponential, but early stages before critical mass would take time. It is a consumer education issue.

I remember how weird it was to see people riding bikes with helmets. Also, I was the geek in the early 1990's who always had a cell phone, a sharp organizer, and a palm top computer with me. Now, I have been equaled or out nerdified by almost everyone under age 50 around me. The devices do the same essential stuff as before, just a better integration, and a good hook to suck people in. I think, in 15 years, all indoor and outdoor (useful near dark) trades will madatorily use very potent head lamps, this will the move the cultural norm into home cleaning and the garage. Eventually, people will realize the huge difference between various lights.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't remember the precise moment, as it was likely a combination of events. I remember watching a TV series where the characters were using LED flashlights in a search scene. They were powerful and small, and it got me to thinking how great it would be to own one of those. But I figured they were either really expensive or something not easily accessible to the public (e.g. law enforcement equipment). I then saw an officer using a Surefire and I couldn't help but admire the apparent build quality of the light. When I looked up Surefire on-line and saw the prices, my jaw dropped. Nah, definitely not something I'd casually buy. That's when I spotted the Fenix brand and ended up buying my first LED light (an L2S). Wanting to learn more, I looked around a bit more and found CPF. And as you all know, once you're here... ;)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think it all started about when I learned to read and needed some light under the bed covers when I should have been sleeping.

Geoff

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
About 50 years ago my dad's uncle gave me a kaleidoscope light.... Loved them ever since!
I used to love to catch fireflys and try to keep them alive.... Played with magnifying glasses... Light has always fascinated me.

Alan.. Sent with Tapatalk 2

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
Mine started a couple years ago when, one night for some reason I decided to start searching the Internet for, the smallest brightest flash in the world. That lead me to YouTube where I watched a video of an interview with David Chow, at the time he was the owner of 4 sevens flashlight company, no sure if he still is. Then that led me to watch some Nut Fancy reviews and he mentioned CPF..... I joined the same night. I've been able to see a lot better at nigh since then:0) CPF is great!

Xavier

Newly Enlightened
I have always been a gadget kind of guy with Swiss Army knives, muti tools and of course trusty flashlights. I searched high and low looking at interesting products and I came across the Nitecore TM26, which is a monster of a flashlight and I checked out the review done on here and I joined. I am now perusing the forums and reading reviews of many lights. To say the least I am now hooked and will do my best to not buy every light I come across lol.

Rexlion

Enlightened
I was given my first flashlight for my birthday at about age 7 or 8. I loved having it, yet I desired more and brighter lights even then.

buds224

Enlightened
Rolling blackouts during the summer-times but more specifically, the big Southern California power outage from a couple years ago. I didn't know what dark was until the lower portion of our state was unplugged. Glad I had my LD20, TA21 and TK41. My investments (and flashaholism) was validated and I realized more investments were required.

Fuzzuki

Newly Enlightened
I have always had a Mag. As long as I can remember, I have always had a 3D cell and a AA cell Mag.
When I started riding my mountain bike at night, I had to pay a lot of money for a nice light strong enough to light technical single track trails.
I always dreamed of mounting my 3D cell Mag on the handle bars.
Then I heard about Fenix lights.
I don't know what made me go out an buy my TK41.
Once I saw what that think could do, I was obsessed with finding a light that was smaller and could be mounted on my handle bars.
I have been getting smaller and smaller.
The latest small and bright light is my Eagltac D25C with XM-L2 emitter.
I am amazed at how small it is, and the amount of light that comes out of it.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
hvv6tw.jpg

:rolleyes:

kj2

Flashaholic
Saw a police officer using his MagCharger a couple of years ago. I asked my dad what kind of flashlight that was. He said: a Maglite son, a week later I had bought a Maglite :D (5D btw ;) ) not much later I found Fenix and bought the TK11r2. Since than, many followed. :)

Ishango

Enlightened
Every since I learned reading as a child and later when I joined the boy scouts and went camping frequently I was always fond of a nice light. As soon as I got some money I therefor bought a Maglite 3D and 2AA. It wasn't until a few years back that I went on a guided tour in a marlstone quarry, where the guide pulled out a small, but very bright LED light to point out something further away. I was stunned by the amount of light (until then I thought Maglite was the best light available). Then I started researching LED flashlights, discovered Fenix and CPF and that's when it started.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I can't say what got me started with flashlights, maybe it was camping as a scout, maybe it was playing "ZAP" with my father and other siblings (where we would turn all the lights off and hunt each other.) Other than a Craftsman sealed beam rechargeable lantern, maglights were the best lights I had, and I had them in all sizes. There was a place for a 3C or 3D cell size in each of our cars. The mini's made for a decent fist loader.

I am now an every day carrier. During the aftermath of Hurricane "Superstorm" Sandy, as a member of the community's CERT team, I participated in a sweap of a senior's condo complex, (two story, twenty unit apartment buildings) checking door to door to make sure there were no medical emergencies. At that time they had no power for three days. The batteries for the emergency lighting for the halls and stairwells had long since been depleted, there were no windows and the halls were as dark as a cave. I now carry on my person at all times, a little button cell Streamlight Nano. It is supposed to give 8 hours of light.

During that exercise, there was one member who carried a 3D LED maglight, for the most part everyone else had a cheap flashlight 12-20 lumens. Many had one of those dollar store 3 x AAA - 9 led lights. The LED mag was so obviously superior that I went right out and got one.

The power-outage of super storm Sandy brought home the need to be able to recharge batteries from the cigar lighter of the car. So I bought a few 6V SLA batteries and flourescent tube lanterns. Now I have stuff that I can lend to my neighbors who are not as prepared.

My introduction to 18650 lights was this forum.
My CERT team had a practice drill, wooded area search. Even in broad daylight it would have been easy to miss the hidden unconcious victim. Even my newly acquired LED Mag was not up to the task. TEEJ suggested I get a TN30, and there is no going back. I now have eight 18650 powered lights and one 2xCR123. I also have a couple of RED p60 dropins. I THINK I am pretty much done... for now :whistle: