• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: MC-E Color RGBW P60 Dropin (All sold)

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Dropin has been sold! If your interested in a future batch of these dropins please see post #6

Up for sale is a MC-E Color RGBW P60 Dropin. For those of you that remember back in the day Quark made a flashlight featuring the Cree MC-E Color RGBW LED emitter. As far as I know of this was the first and only commercially available flashlight that used this particular emitter. Time has passed and the Quark RGB has been discontinued. Here is your chance to own a dropin featuring this unique emitter.

All images can be enlarged by clicking on them.

The pill:
The MC-E RGBW mcpcb has been secured to the pill with Arctic Aluminia thermal epoxy. I used 24 gauge copper silver-coated teflon insulated wire. The driver has not been potted (not really needed) and is securely held in place with 4 solder joints.

The Driver:
Input voltage: 3-4.2v Single Li-ion recommended, reduced output with single CR123
Modes:
Group A (default)
Neutral White
Red
Green
Blue
Neutral White-Red-Green-Blue Strobe 8Hz
Red-Blue Police Strobe (RRR-BBB-RRR etc.)
Red Blink 1Hz

Group B
Neutral White & Green
Red & Blue
All Dies Strobe 8Hz
Neutral White
Red

I have enabled group A by default, if you want to choose group B instead please let me know. The driver does not have mode memory; I recommend using a reverse clicky switch to cycle through the different modes for ease of use.

A special note on the beam profile:

The focal point of a reflector is usually right in the very center relative to the diameter. The individual dies of the MC-E are not in the center of the emitter as it is a quad-die emitter. Taking this into account it is VERY difficult to obtain a perfect beam profile using the MC-E Color RGBW. I have tried many different types of reflectors and TIR optics and the best compromise so far has been to use a modified XP-G orange peel reflector. Here is a quick beamshot showing the beam profile vs a Nichia 219 with a orange peel reflector (and to compare tint as well).

As you can see there is a slight donut in the hotspot and a tiny amount of lopsided petal shaped spill. Next up are all four dies being lit individually. If you have a sharp eye you can notice the lopsided petal shape spill rotating. This is again due to the quad-die design and the focal point of the reflector. I want to mention all of this as I want the buyer to know exactly what they are purchasing if they intend to use this dropin with a reflector.

I usually apply Fujik thermal glue on the screw threads between the reflector and the pill to provide better heat transfer from the pill to the reflector. Fujik creates a mechanical bond that is not permanent. If you want to try your own reflectors, etc. please let me know so I don't glue the reflector to the pill.

Here is a short video demonstrating the modes on group A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kPsJ5NEeg

If you want some throw you can also use a aspherical lens as well. One can be included for use with lights such as a Solarforce L2 series for an additional cost. Spacer orings are required and will be included if you decide you want the aspherical lens option.

The artifacts in the spill is from the texture of the orange peel reflector. This can be eliminated by using a smooth reflector and painting it black. Here is another short video demonstrating the modes on group A with the aspherical lens.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb-o6zzPxDg

The price for the dropin including shipping will be $85 USD and Paypal will be the payment method. Add an additional $5 for the aspheric lens option if you want it. Shipping will be via USPS unless you prefer a different shipping carrier (please let me know). For worldwide shipping outside the USA please send me a PM for a quote; the cost for the dropin will still be the same but you will pay for the extra shipping amount.

If you want the dropin please post a :takeit: with the following:
Mode preference (group A or B)
Glued reflector (Yes or No)
Aspherical lens option +$5 (GITD green or aqua color orings)

and send me a PM for payment info

If there is enough demand I might consider making a small batch (3-5) of these dropins in the future.

Last edited:

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: MC-E Color RGBW P60 Dropin

Interesting....I'll take one

Mode: A
Relector: glued
Aspheric lens option: yes, aqua o-ring

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice! I´m interested in one of these should you make a small batch. PM sent.

Eric

LilKevin715

Enlightened

Dropin has been :sold: to Silgt!

For those of you that are interested in a future batch please post a reply here in this thread by 5/5/13 so I can get a idea of how many parts I need to order. Also state if you want the aspherical lens option as well. If I do decide to do a small batch please be aware that it may be as long as a month before I can ship them out. This is due to ordering the parts from overseas and the associated delivery time to me.

Flyflash

Newly Enlightened

I sold my RGB, so this might be a good way to go. I'll take one: group A, glued, no aspheric

LilKevin715

Enlightened

I've changed the title of the thread to indicate it has been reopened for pre order. Just a reminder for those of you that are interested please reply to this thread with your dropin preferences. I've also found a new reflector that may work even better (no promises), but I won't find out for a few weeks as I am waiting for it to be shipped from overseas.

ronrog69

Newly Enlightened

I'll buy one. :hitit:

Mode: A
Relector: glued
Aspheric lens option: yes, GITD o-ring

Tofty

Enlightened

I'm interested in one of these:
Mode: A,
Reflector: glued
Aspheric lens option: yes, GITD o-ring.

JJKTWO

Newly Enlightened

+1
I will take one

Mode A

Reflector glued
Aspheric lens option, GITD o-ring

JJ

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Re: FS: MC-E Color RGBW P60 Dropin (Pre Order)

Bump and a final reminder for those that are interested please post by tomorrow. So far here is the list:

#1 Flyflash: Group A, glued reflector Paid, Shipped & Received
party.gif

#2 ronrog69: Group A, glued reflector :confused::shrug: MIA :shakehead:thumbsdow (spot withdrawn)
Gothmog: Group A, glued reflector Paid, Shipped & Received
party.gif

#3 JJKTWO: Group A, glued reflector Paid, Shipped & Received:party:
#4 Tofty: Group A, glued reflector Paid, Shipped & Received
party.gif

#5 xml: Group A, glued reflector Paid, Shipped & Received:party:
#6 & 7 tanasit: Group A, glued reflector Paid, Shipped & Received
party.gif

Last edited:

LilKevin715

Enlightened

Parts have finally arrived:)

I should have the dropins ready to ship by Tuesday next week. I have some good news and bad news though...

Good news: The new reflector I obtained (originally meant for a SSC P7) combined with some spacers for better focus results in a better beam profile. There is still a slight donut (can't defy physics) but the beam profile looks better. Slightly larger hotspot, less donut, and more spill.

Bad News: For those that wanted the Aspherical lens option it looks like its not going to happen. When I purchased the Aspherical lens from DX years ago (SKU # 5297) they were quality lenses that focused the LED as pictured in the first post. Current stock that I received isn't the same lens and they are of lower quality; they don't properly focus the LED and are junk IMO.

I'll let everyone know when the dropins are ready to ship.

JJKTWO

Newly Enlightened

Nice I look forward to seeing this thing in action. No big deal about the lens option. It is more useful to me this way maybe.

JJ

Tofty

Enlightened

The good news is better than the bad news in my opinion.
I'm not bothered about the aspheric lens, i just wanted it for curiosities sake to see what it was like but i didn't plan on using it with the drop-ins final host.
Looking forward to giving one of these a go.