Just picked up my Tigerlight OP6!! (Photos)

Eurastus

Newly Enlightened
Yep, that's right. I just got back from picking up a Tigerlight OP6 from Tigerlight's "factory" in Heber City, Utah. I don't have much time to elaborate yet (drat those meetings at work!), but I'll fill you all in later this evening.

In short, it looks to be a great weapon light. I'll also follow up with some photos if I can figure how to post them (hints would be appreciated).

Let me know what you want to see in the photos and what you want to know about the light...

Wave

Newly Enlightened
Re: Just picked up my Tigerlight OP6!!

How does it compare to the to the regular TigerLight in terms of throw and lumens?

I just ordered the "Non-Lethal Defense System" version of the TigerLight with the quick release gun mount rail holstering system before I realized the OP6 was available.

Eurastus

Newly Enlightened

Oh, it's much smaller. It's just slightly larger than my SL NF-2 light, with about the same brightness (around 100 lumens, I'd guess). I believe the regular Tigerlight is around 275-280 lumens.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Isn't the OP6 the same light that has been around for a couple years but TigerLight has done some sort of deal to market it and sell it?

Al

Eurastus

Newly Enlightened

I believe so. It came in a Laser Devices, Inc. box with a brochure inside labeling it as the "TL-2 6-Volt Tactical Light." It does have "Tigerlight" in white around the bezel. I'll add some photos in a bit.

Eurastus

Newly Enlightened

OK...Here's some pictures:
fa803e68.jpg

Here's an 8" Tigerlight, a Streamlight TT-2L, the OP6, and a Streamlight NF-2, just to give you a size perspective.

Here's the OP6 alone:
fa803e2b.jpg

Here's a shot of the packaging:
fa803e40.jpg

This is what it looks like in pieces:
fa803e0f.jpg

I should mention that the OP6 looks (to my untrained eye) to put out about the same amount of light as the Streamlight NF-2. However, the beam is much smoother than the NF-2, with virtually no artifacts. They both throw about the same. The Weaver mount can be taken off with the supplied Allen wrench, but I'll use that to attach it to my Beretta CX4 (photos of that pending).

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uh, you might want to edit your post. Remove the ".orig.jpg" part from the links of the images. Currently we are seeing a "Sorry you are trying to acess an image from outside of imagestation.com" on all of the pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

solo73

Newly Enlightened

how many lumens is 40,000 candlepower? i don't understand the difference. thanks again

Size15's

Flashaholic

I've edited the post so we can see the photos. Removing the .orig.jpg was the trick.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Al

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Solo73, join the club. However, you can check out Quickbeam's Output vs Throw chart and see how several lights measure relative to one another.

Quickbeam's Output vs Throw Chart

Be sure and read QB's notes on how he measures "throw" (Lux) and "overall output" (QUPS). The chart is useful for seeing how lights stack up when the same measurer is using the same measuring method and equipment on lots of flashlights.

If the Tigerlight OP6 is basically the same innards and performance as the Streamlight NF-2 and TL-2, then the throw ought to measure about 5000 Lux (at 1 meter at beam center) and the overall output 5900 QUPS (in his milk carton "integration sphere").

BC

Size15's

Flashaholic
Laser Devices Inc has been making it for years.
Ken's Strategosintl has them too.
Not sure it will have the TigerLight etching on it though.

Eurastus

Newly Enlightened
I've unfortunately not found a web site listing it for sale---well not exactly. I've not seen the TigerLight-branded version for sale, though there are several mentions of it on various pages of Tigerlight's Site. They refer to it as either the OP6 or the M.A.W.S.

You can apparently get the original Laser Devices light. It's on their web-site as the OP-6 with specs and suggested retail--that link will take you to the version I purchased. From there you can see several other switch and voltage versions on the large drop-down list that says "- Chose Model -".

The OP series does appear to be a modular system, allowing you to mix and match different bodies, switches, number of cells, etc. I don't know if TigerLight intends to market anything other than the 6-volt model. The TigerLight version I purchased came with the NATO mount pre-installed. It appears that TigerLight will be making all the accessories mentioned on the Laser Devices site available; I saw all the diferent switches at their place yesterday.

As for me, I'd just as soon purchase only the TigerLight-branded lights. Their customer service has been absolutely great (both for me personally and from what I've read on the web), and I can easily drop by their place at lunch from work. I tell you what, if I had a few bucks to invest in a startup, I'd send it their way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also, yesterday I heard Eric and Michael mention that they were shipping a number of the OP6 lights to the "Special Forces guys." They are apparently usings the A.R.M.S. mounts. Take that for what you want.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Wasn't there talk of an OC option for this light? (though it seems awfully small for that)

Brightnorm