A little advice and suggestions please.....

staffyman

Newly Enlightened
I have a generic no-name cree powered torch that I got from an online auction site.

It's been working fine and I've been really pleased with it up until now.

It has stopped working and I think I killed the LED.:(

I noticed the beam wasn't looking right so looked into the head (not switched on obviously:duh2:) and saw that the little dome covering the emitter had come off.

Upon closer inspection of the emitter there appeared to be an adhesive silicon(?) left behind on it that was causing the distorted beam. My thoughts were to clean this off and then the beam would be 'clean' again. I must have damaged one of the fine wires as it now longer works.:ohgeez:

Using a multimeter, I have voltage across the + and - terminals on the emitter.

Is it just a case of de-soldering the emitter and then soldering another in place?

I have an Ultrafire C8 that I'm not happy with (it always changes mode everytime it comes on and I want single mode) that has an XML emitter.

Will this be OK as the original is a KM (so it says on it).

Voltages in both torches are the same as I run the C8 on an 18650 and the no-namer on 14500.

If you reckon it will be OK then I will swap out the emitter and then get a different one and a new driver for the C8. The C8 is intended for use on an air rifle with a remote switch hence the need for single mode. I'll open a new post about that.

Thanks in advance.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
To check your emitter's functionality, use the multimeter (DMM) connectivity mode (the one that makes a beep when it is shorted).
Place the positive & negative probes respectively to the star's pad & it should light up dimly (if your emitter is working).

But if you said that you damaged one of the fine wires, than most likely you have a dead emitter :shakehead

And it should be okie to swap, since the voltage is the same & a XM-L can take much higher current than a XR-E emitter.
I would guess that the output will be much lower since it will be under driven for the XM-L.

staffyman

Newly Enlightened
So I'd be better off just getting a XR-E emitter then really as I really do like the amount of light given out and the throw by the original emitter. :thumbsup:

I've done a little digging around and, from what I can gather, XR-E R2 is the champion for throw but rarely available as it would seem that it is now being classed as an old model. Just my luck. :ironic:

If I can't get hold of one of them, what would be the next best emitter? :confused:

Sorry for appearing dumb, but LEDs and electronic circuitry in torches are new to me. :stupid:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try looking at FastTech or DealExtreme, they might still have them.
If XR-E2 is not available, the next best thrower should be the XP-E2 series.

And hey, no worries mate.
We are all learning & sharing, thats what a forum is for.
Cheers mate!

JonK

Sent from my Awesome phone from somewhere in the mountains

staffyman

Newly Enlightened
On FastTech website I found XRE-R2-WC.
Gonna order one.

When I have it fitted I will report back.

Many thanks for your help.